• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

Not even late first. Most of the usual suspects had him mid-round, which is pretty mindblowing.

Correct.

I think if you go back and look at the 2017 rankings, just before the draft, his average spot from the 10-12 biggest draft evaluators was like 12-14.

To take him at 7 was such a reach. They talk about him as being the ?safe, conservative? pick.

I don?t know how he?s safer or more conservative than more talented guys that are ranked ahead of him.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm absolutely, unequivocally certain that the Rangers traded up thinking Pettersson would be there and panicked when the Canucks took him.

That said, 2017 is going to go down as a weird draft. After the top 5, the talent fell off a cliff with a few exceptions (Necas, Suzuki, apparently Yamamoto, Chytil, Thomas). The picks immediately after Andersson look like complete busts too. It's still early, but it's not looking like this is a draft that's going to produce a ton of decent NHLers.

Andersson was listed as the safest pick. He's making the NHL, he's probably a mid-six center. Both of those things are probably still true, though with more certainty that he's a third line center at best.

I think it's fair to say that draft was particularly difficult to navigate. It's not entirely true the quality dropped off a cliff, because there are quite a few very good players taken later in the round and in rounds 2 and 3. But, clearly, many teams with high and midround picks took the wrong players.

I was listening to a podcast doing a re-draft of the first round the other day (think it was Blueshirts Breakaway). There's a surprising amount of good players there when it's redrafted. I think they had Andersson around the mid 20's, but that was partly because they were trying to be nice and partly because they only did the players picked in the first round. If you include the 2nd and 3rd round he wouldn't be in.

In summary I think it's a bit unfair to be too harsh with the pick; the Rangers were far from alone in picking the wrong player in the 7-31 range. But the players were certainly there.

The wierd thing is we all knew the pick was a reach when it happened, what made management think this would pan out differently? He was never projected to be more than Callahan. You reach for higher at #7. It just was an I'll advised pick. We all knew it. Find one person who thought at #7 that was a good ceiling to reach for. If we shot for the most talented at that time and it never panned out; who could complain? Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't but boy I hope that pick was a MAJOR learning experience.

The wierd thing is we all knew the pick was a reach when it happened, what made management think this would pan out differently? He was never projected to be more than Callahan. You reach for higher at #7. It just was an I'll advised pick. We all knew it. Find one person who thought at #7 that was a good ceiling to reach for. If we shot for the most talented at that time and it never panned out; who could complain? Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't but boy I hope that pick was a MAJOR learning experience.

I hope so too, but I was thinking the same thing when they picked guys like Jessiman and McIlrath with high picks. They even took a starting goalie at #6 with Montoya when they already had Lundqvist.

wonder if Lias and Howden would've had any kind of chemistry on the fourth line.

Probably not. Andersson is a complementary player that requires linemates that carry the puck and shoot. Howden is more of an opportunist that can get chances off of loose pucks and bounces, but isnt the type to carry the puck, play or line.

I think it's fair to say that draft was particularly difficult to navigate. It's not entirely true the quality dropped off a cliff, because there are quite a few very good players taken later in the round and in rounds 2 and 3. But, clearly, many teams with high and midround picks took the wrong players.

I was listening to a podcast doing a re-draft of the first round the other day (think it was Blueshirts Breakaway). There's a surprising amount of good players there when it's redrafted. I think they had Andersson around the mid 20's, but that was partly because they were trying to be nice and partly because they only did the players picked in the first round. If you include the 2nd and 3rd round he wouldn't be in.

In summary I think it's a bit unfair to be too harsh with the pick; the Rangers were far from alone in picking the wrong player in the 7-31 range. But the players were certainly there.

Supposedly, they acquired number 7 for the purpose of moving up into the top 5 and were close to a deal with Vancouver for #5 but they couldn’t get it done. I’m guessing, but it was likely the 2 picks at 7 & 21 for 5, which is about fair value, maybe even a shade above, but Vancouver didn’t bite.

Pettersson or Glass were supposedly the targets.

• 2 months later...
Straight up, no more. Problem child for problem child. Pool boy hasn't shown anything to be worth more.

Hmmm. He kind of has, because at least he has flashed the skillset necessary to be a useful top 9 NHL player. Lias Andersson hasn't. At this point you're projecting with both players, at least for Puljujarvi you can say he has the skillset to be of value in the NHL if you can get his head right. With Lias you're questioning whether he has the necessary tools, even if you can get him fixed mentally.

Hmmm. He kind of has, because at least he has flashed the skillset necessary to be a useful top 9 NHL player. Lias Andersson hasn't. At this point you're projecting with both players, at least for Puljujarvi you can say he has the skillset to be of value in the NHL if you can get his head right. With Lias you're questioning whether he has the necessary tools, even if you can get him fixed mentally.

I think when his head is right, Lias has the tools to be a solid NHLer. Not phenomenal, but solid.

Regardless, I think you'll see this trade made at the draft. The Rangers will address center depth in the first round, and when we can slot one or two more names ahead of Lias on the depth chart, we'll address the LW depth by engineering this trade.

Might end up looking like Lias and a 3rd for Puljujarvi and a 5th or something.

I'm not sure either is an NHL player. Both feel like they're in over their heads. The difference is one can skate and the other can't, so all things being equal, I'd rather roll the dice with the one who can. Trade him.