• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some buzz in Sweden that Lias’ old team Frolunda want him back.. #PlayLikeASwedishMeatball

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/rangers-roundup-frolunda-interested-in-andersson-scouts-in-anaheim-and-more/

Organization isnt letting him play elsewhere, right now.

They should let him play in Sweden for this season and next, see if it helps him progress.

More importantly - why the hell are the Rangers scouting the Ducks?

They should let him play in Sweden for this season and next, see if it helps him progress.

Agreed. Screw it, let him play in Sweden. Maybe he turns into something there; maybe not. Either way, itll work out for us in the end. He either ups his value or we never have to see him again.

I say no. Let him understand what it means to sign a contract and be a pro. Walking out on the team mid-season? Fuck that shit. He should sit and gather rust. The pick is done anyway. The returns will be minimal to non-existent for him.

Agreed. Screw it, let him play in Sweden. Maybe he turns into something there; maybe not. Either way, itll work out for us in the end. He either ups his value or we never have to see him again.

I say no. Let him understand what it means to sign a contract and be a pro. Walking out on the team mid-season? Fuck that shit. He should sit and gather rust. The pick is done anyway. The returns will be minimal to non-existent for him.

I think the Rangers are waiting to see if they can get a decent return from trade this season. If that doesnt happen, it doesnt hurt the Rangers to let him play. The trade return is low, the pick is blown... or maybe he does develop and you get another player in a few seasons.

Link:

--

The article is behind a paywall, but the dek is pretty telling:

Ice hockey Lias Andersson has left the New York Rangers - due to mental health.

- People can say it's an idiotic decision for my hockey career - but they don't know the whole truth, says the hockey talent for GP.

https://www.gp.se/sport/ishockey/psykisk-h%C3%A4lsa-fick-lias-att-l%C3%A4mna-rangers-1.22298251

What?

He gave an interview in Sweden today and he didnt say this, from what I saw translated. He said it was a complex situation that he "could not discuss at this time". He also mentioned that he was nursing a lower body injury, but it was no big deal.

Hate to speculate on "mental health" but I'm skeptical to say the least. Mental health and feeling sorry for yourself are two different things and that's the vibe I've gotten from him all along. You don't breach contract because of mental health issues, especially after Robin Lehner's situation in which the NHL was overwhelmingly supportive.

What?

He gave an interview in Sweden today and he didnt say this, from what I saw translated. He said it was a complex situation that he "could not discuss at this time". He also mentioned that he was nursing a lower body injury, but it was no big deal.

The link above (G?teborgsposten) is the original source and not wrong. It's an elaboration from the TV interview.

"Psykisk h?lsa" doesn't mean that he is mentally ill, but that he has been feeling depressed/stressed or whatever.

Word-for-word, Lias says this to G?teborgsposten:

"There has been many incidents that drew on me on a personal level, issues that left me feeling less than well mentally. Hockeywise, this may be an idiotic decision, but I had to consider my private life also"

"There is a more important career - and that is friends, family and my health. Hockeywise, we will see in a few years, but probably it wasn't the smartest decision if I want to play in the NHL. But hockey is played many places. Many think this is a hockey decision, but it's a decision for my health"

"H?lsa" could also be translated to "well-being" rather than "health" for nuances - neither English or swedish is my native language, so I hope it makes sense :)

• Like 1

What?

Maybe because his head is up his ass, he considers it lower body?

(That was just the easy joke, if he's really battling mental health issues, I hope he gets help).

That said I understand leaving the team if you're struggling, but the trade request?

• Like 1

Hate to speculate on "mental health" but I'm skeptical to say the least. Mental health and feeling sorry for yourself are two different things and that's the vibe I've gotten from him all along. You don't breach contract because of mental health issues, especially after Robin Lehner's situation in which the NHL was overwhelmingly supportive.

Well, I mean...

Idiot.

I'm sure it's nothing like that. To me, it sounds like he has been really stressed and pressured in NY and eventually, he cracked from all the negative experiences and had to get away from everything.

For me, it's a lesson about not bringing these young guys over too early. It would have been way better to have Lias develop in the SHL and then get a year in the AHL while being eased into the roster. Being forced into the lineup at the age of 18 and then being dropped again and again was by no means helpful.

"H?lsa" could also be translated to "well-being" rather than "health" for nuances - neither English or swedish is my native language, so I hope it makes sense :)

Yeah, that's an important distinction here. It doesn't mean that he's mentally ill or needs help, necessarily.

I mean, what it actually is would be anyone's guess. It could be as simple as not fitting in, homesickness, that sort of thing. Having played in both the Nordics and in US/Canada the locker room culture, coaching style and treatment of personnel is very different. It's a lot tougher and it's certainly not for every Scandinavian kid.

(That was just the easy joke, if he's really battling mental health issues, I hope he gets help).

That said I understand leaving the team if you're struggling, but the trade request?

It's the opposite for me. I understand the trade request. It's leaving the team I can't get behind.

That's pretty much why Big Buff is sitting at home suspended from the team right now

There's no explanation for leaving the team. Even for Berglund. Take a LOA. Dont abandon the team.

There's no explanation for leaving the team. Even for Berglund. Take a LOA. Dont abandon the team.
Nah.

But if you're suicidal, being traded from NY to EDM doesn't help.

After reading the translation posted here, sounds more like the Rangers were completely wrong about him and his "leadership qualities".

I don't buy mental health at all for one reason. He asked for a trade. If he had a mental health issue, he would have either A) talked to management about it and asked for a leave of absence to figure himself out, or B) in the event he, for whatever reason, chose not talk to management and just leave to go back home because he's suicidal depressed, the next action isn't to request a trade. That's a ridiculous line of thought, and it really becomes less about mental health and more about being a spoiled baby used to getting his way (probably).

By the way, "untenable situation for me as a person" reads to me like "I grew up rich and I'm above being in Hartford because it's out of my class".