• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is the failure here ,he is the reason why he is in this mess,I do agree the rangers fucked up evaluating him

Evaluating, but much more importantly developing him. Scouting staffs miss on evaluations all the time, and it's normal when the prospect is not their "property" as you can only give so much focus to a potential draft pick. However, once you pull the trigger on him and use such an important asset(#7 pick) in drafting him; at that point it very much becomes the team's responsibility to know what makes him tick, just what his ceiling/capabilities are, and the best path to get him from prospect to NHL player.

They certainly failed in this respect, but I also think they needed to justify the Stepan trade compounded by a barren farm system. Where they become much more accountable in my view is when the system become less barren with Kravstov & Miller, and then ultimately Kaako & Fox(and Lingdren, Hajek, Lemieux, etc...). At this point they need to have a better idea of the player, and that he is not NHL ready; to not only decide on the best plan to develop him, but make sure that he is "sold" on that plan. Lias is ultimately accountable here, as he is the one who blew this up; but very, very poor asset management on the Rangers part. They simply don't have that many players under AHL/NHL contract to not where their heads are at.

Yes, the Americans were given a chance.

Even Kakko was stuck with howden. Which might be worse than hartford

Whys everyone forgetting Buch? I really don't think it's a Euro thing. I mean Fast is getting top minutes. Zib.... Quinn doesn't seem to have issues playing Georgiev.. Hajek is being given a long leash...

Maybe its players with a sense of entitlement? Or ones who don't practice hard?

They definitely have a US East Coast bias. It's general, but it exists. They have a Masshole coaching the team, he's going to prefer a certain player.

They've never gone for a big CHL guy since hilariously drafting the D version of Jessiman, and I doubt they ever will.

They definitely have a US East Coast bias. It's general, but it exists. They have a Masshole coaching the team, he's going to prefer a certain player.

They've never gone for a big CHL guy since hilariously drafting the D version of Jessiman, and I doubt they ever will.

What about the French Canadian who treated Buch pretty much the same way?

Sure, I'm talking very generally and more Organizational, not so much Quinn.

I bet if you took a tally of Canadians they've employed over the past 20 years they'd be in the bottom third, maybe even near the bottom of that.

Oh you meant Gorton?

Yea I'm not sure he survives this season with JD here.

He's... Not good.

Not good? He built the Boston Bruins franchise before he left there.
What's he done here? Traded up in a weak draft and swung hard and missed on Andersson.

Trouba forced here.

Fox same.

Panarin was a no brainer.

Getting Lemiuex looks like his best move.

As far as selling, he got decent assets for what he sold but that doesn't matter if your drafts are mediocre.

What's he done here? Traded up in a weak draft and swung hard and missed on Andersson.

Trouba forced here.

Fox same.

Panarin was a no brainer.

Getting Lemiuex looks like his best move.

As far as selling, he got decent assets for what he sold but that doesn't matter if your drafts are mediocre.

It's simply way too early to have the discussion, but Trouba/Fox "forcing their way here" and Panarin coming here aren't negatives even though you seem to paint them as such. It might not be as large a positive as some make it out to be, but it's certainly not a negative. The jury is still out on the picks that were made until they have had ample time to prove their worth or lack thereof. In terms of value on paper for trades, I think he's done a nice job with the Zuccarello trade as an exception. That was a bit weak. He hasn't chased any mediocre FAs, which is also important.

It's simply way too early to have the discussion, but Trouba/Fox "forcing their way here" and Panarin coming here aren't negatives even though you seem to paint them as such. It might not be as large a positive as some make it out to be, but it's certainly not a negative. The jury is still out on the picks that were made until they have had ample time to prove their worth or lack thereof. In terms of value on paper for trades, I think he's done a nice job with the Zuccarello trade as an exception. That was a bit weak. He hasn't chased any mediocre FAs, which is also important.
Where did I say it was a negative?

I just don't give him a ton of credit for players who want to play in NY. Or any credit at all, really.

With Trouba, Fox and Panarin wanting to come here and lucking into the No. 2 pick, Gorton's had a lot of things fall into his lap that weren't his doing, but I don't really see JD getting rid of him any time soon.

As for Andersson, I think we should just treat it the way the Bolts treated Jonathan Drouin. He just had to sit for a long time. We lose nothing by him sitting. Andersson would be worth very little if traded now, and he will be worth about the same thing if he sits through the end of the season. Throughout the whole Sather and Cronies era, the Rangers have done a good job at making this a place players want to play, but they don't need to be pushovers who immediately comply with a hissy fit of this variety.

We’ll probably never know, but surely there must be more than meets the eye to this thing.

I mean, for a player of his age and just a couple of years out of his draft, leaving the team and requesting a trade for not being with the big club is crazy. Especially when you haven’t pulled up a single tree with either club. Without bothering to check, I’d bet at least half of the guys drafted in that 1st round are still in the AHL.

There must be something personal, terrible chemistry with Quinn, Gorton, teammates etc. Because this decision is insane. And extremely disappointing.

We’ll probably never know, but surely there must be more than meets the eye to this thing.

I mean, for a player of his age and just a couple of years out of his draft, leaving the team and requesting a trade for not being with the big club is crazy. Especially when you haven’t pulled up a single tree with either club. Without bothering to check, I’d bet at least half of the guys drafted in that 1st round are still in the AHL.

There must be something personal, terrible chemistry with Quinn, Gorton, teammates etc. Because this decision is insane. And extremely disappointing.

I don't know if you subscribe to the Athletic, but there's a lot in that article I posted about Lias, and to a degree Kakko, being victims of the NHL getting younger overall.

Regarding Lias, the Carp comments are pretty damning. It's pretty clear that he thinks he's better than he is. I don't know who he played with at World's or SuperElit but whatever success he was finding there, by now we know is smoke and mirrors. He's completely failed at NA hockey. I mean, lots of players do, even NA ones. There's a reason the players who don't find success in the NHL head to those leagues.

I know one thing's for sure. If he ever makes it back to the NHL, he's gonna get fucking boo'd when he comes to MSG. Yikes.

We'll have to rely on him being booed in Hartford. If he makes it to MSG, it will be three years from now with 10 minutes of ice time on someone's fourth line, and no one will bother booing him because it would be unduly flattering.

I don't know if you subscribe to the Athletic, but there's a lot in that article I posted about Lias, and to a degree Kakko, being victims of the NHL getting younger overall.

Regarding Lias, the Carp comments are pretty damning. It's pretty clear that he thinks he's better than he is. I don't know who he played with at World's or SuperElit but whatever success he was finding there, by now we know is smoke and mirrors. He's completely failed at NA hockey. I mean, lots of players do, even NA ones. There's a reason the players who don't find success in the NHL head to those leagues.

I do. But, to be honest, I find Carp almost completely unreadable. He comes across as a 100% organizational mouthpiece and a total pravda figure with no journalistic integrity.

I mean, it’s not hard to square what he says with what we’ve seen from Andersson on the ice, but it feels like what he writes is what the FO wants us to hear.

It might be true. Who knows. I’m not really interested in pointing fingers because nobody comes out of this looking particularly great. But something has clearly gone very wrong here because this is a drastic and unusual move from a player of that age and standing.

Maybe it’s as simple as Andersson and his camp being weapons grade idiots. We’ll probably never know. But that change of scenery trade we talked about a year or so ago sure looks like a great idea now.

Oh you meant Gorton?

Yea I'm not sure he survives this season with JD here.

He's... Not good.

Like everyone who takes over as head of an administrative position, he won't really be the head until he brings in his hand picked team......

JD...start with the scouting staff.....that needs a huge improvement.

NYCKrash......LGR

Like everyone who takes over as head of an administrative position, he won't really be the head until he brings in his hand picked team......

JD...start with the scouting staff.....that needs a huge improvement.

NYCKrash......LGR

I will never understand this kind of uninformed rhetoric.

Since the 2009 draft:

Chris Kreider

Jesper Fast

JT Miller

Brady Skjei

Boo Nieves

Pavel Buchnevich

Anthony Duclair

Ryan Graves

Igor Shestyorkin

Filip Chytil

Morgan Baron

Vitali Kravtsov

K' Andre Miller

Nils Lundkvist

Joey Keane

Kaapo Kakko

Mathew Robertson

Conventional wisdom is that you want to develop 1? NHL players per draft. I have no idea if all or any of the last 6-7 listed above will develop into NHL players, but I would say the Rangers are batting way above average when you consider that they did no have a first round pick from 2013-2016(not even a 2nd rounder in 2016). Can we please agree to stay away from these blanket uneducated type statements?

Since the 2009 draft:

Chris Kreider - Has done absolutely nothing except underachieve and is on the trade block annually. Amazing how year after year, the Glocesterman has not managed to trade Kreider, if he is so great, a contending team would have jumped at the chance to get him.

Jesper Fast - A not very "Fast" but nice JAG player

JT Miller - Decent player, gone

Brady Skjei - A nice JAG player

Boo Nieves -

Pavel Buchnevich -

Anthony Duclair -

Ryan Graves - Who? Any relation to the real Graves?

Igor Shestyorkin - Good GT prospect

Filip Chytil - Has gotten better and has potential

Morgan Baron - Who?

Vitali Kravtsov -

K' Andre Miller - Who?

Nils Lundkvist - JAG Player

Joey Keane - Who?

Kaapo Kakko - Could be the Ryan Leaf of the NHL. SO FAR, and only so far meaning he could get better, but so far he has been the biggest disappointment I have ever witnessed as a hockey fan considering his billing going into the draft. He's young, big and supposedly talented, so I hope maybe he will get better. If not we are screwed, having a #2 pick in a draft does not happen very often. Kakko rivals Ken Hodge as possibly the biggest disappointment in Ranger history to this point.

Mathew Robertson - Who?

Where's Lias? Don't see him here. Conveniently.

There are maybe 3-4 players that are decent NHL'ers and the goalie, who we have not seen yet. Nothing more.

Fact of the matter is we are a mediocre non playoff team that can not win more than 2 games in a row before going on multi game losing streaks, have a bunch of average to below average young kids with seemingly zero direction, and, in my humble opinion, a very, very questionable future. The only saving grace is JD. I am hoping he takes over the player personnel oversight as he seemed to build 2 really solid teams in STL and CMH.

Just one man's "uneducated" opinion.

• Like 2