• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

I think when his head is right, Lias has the tools to be a solid NHLer. Not phenomenal, but solid.

I mean, he was able to play in the NHL as a 19 year old. He wasn't great by any means, but the fact he didn't look completely out of place means he has a lot of talent. The problem with Andersson is that, after a couple of years in NA, we kind of know what he is. Around the draft he was seen as a dependable 200 ft player with 2c upside. We now know that his lack of footspeed and skill means that is not going to happen. I do agree that if it all comes together for him he could do a job as a 3c, but that is the absolute pinnacle for him.

Whereas for Puljujarvi, his skill set and size means that, if it all comes together for him, he could be a top 6 winger. I know the Finnish league is so-so, but he did put up around a ppg over 50 something games this season.

At the end of the day, with two guys like this you look for upside. It's just a wild swing of the bat. My worry is that someone will offer a slightly shinier object than Lias beacuse IMO Puljujarvi is still worth a shot at the right price.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, he was able to play in the NHL as a 19 year old. He wasn't great by any means, but the fact he didn't look completely out of place means he has a lot of talent. The problem with Andersson is that, after a couple of years in NA, we kind of know what he is. Around the draft he was seen as a dependable 200 ft player with 2c upside. We now know that his lack of footspeed and skill means that is not going to happen. I do agree that if it all comes together for him he could do a job as a 3c, but that is the absolute pinnacle for him.

Whereas for Puljujarvi, his skill set and size means that, if it all comes together for him, he could be a top 6 winger. I know the Finnish league is so-so, but he did put up around a ppg over 50 something games this season.

At the end of the day, with two guys like this you look for upside. It's just a wild swing of the bat. My worry is that someone will offer a slightly shinier object than Lias beacuse IMO Puljujarvi is still worth a shot at the right price.

Right. Like you mentioned, while Andersson for Puljujarvi is equitable at this point, I think Edmonton can get slightly more for Puljujarvi on the open market based on their individual ceilings. Might take a sweetner to get this done if that is the road the Rangers want to go down.

Do you think Andersson plus one of Lindbom, Gettinger, or Reunanen for Puljujarvi gets it done?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a little wild, IMO, but straight from Carp:

When resumption of play arrives, the Rangers will have to set a roster, including an as-yet unofficial number of call-ups. Lias Andersson, with whom Davidson has remained in contact, is a possibility. Davidson also said he doesn’t yet know what punishment will be faced by Brendan Lemieux, who is suspended for a hit on Colorado’s Joonas Donskoi in the final game in Denver.

“We don’t know where we’re going to go,” Davidson said. “We don’t even know the exact roster (limit) number just yet. … We’ll go through that stuff once we get this a little bit more organized and try to get the players in that we want to get in here. Of course, you need a good roster for this thing. You’re going to have a training camp to go through, then you have, hopefully, quite a number of games – not only the play-in round, but you hope to win that and move forward and depth makes a difference when it comes to that stuff. So we’ll work at all those options.”

That raised an eyebrow for me; has JD recovered the relationship?

glad to see professionals working on this, not reactionary fans. The kid has first round draft capital. He can clearly play hockey. It would be stupid to burn that bridge so early in his career based on a mistake the kid made. I hope he comes back and makes an impact.
  • Like 1

First round draft capital? He's a third liner at best. That's not a reactionary fan comment, that's the scouting report on him.

Is it clear that he can play? It's certainly not clear to the rest of the NHL, because the Rangers couldn't unload him. That's what this is a result of. They couldn't trade him.

This is strictly PR.

glad to see professionals working on this, not reactionary fans. The kid has first round draft capital. He can clearly play hockey. It would be stupid to burn that bridge so early in his career based on a mistake the kid made. I hope he comes back and makes an impact.

Why? Lol. I'm fine with him competing for a spot next year. No way he should even get a call about the playoffs.

Maybe they have been evaluating over this layoff as if it were the off-season. My guess is JD wants an other option besides Howden. Though I myself think Howdens skillet fits perfectly for playoff hockey. I think we see Howden surprise people and look like the real deal in the post season. He and Deangelo are going to quiet some critics.

Maybe they have been evaluating over this layoff as if it were the off-season. My guess is JD wants an other option besides Howden. Though I myself think Howdens skillet fits perfectly for playoff hockey. I think we see Howden surprise people and look like the real deal in the post season. He and Deangelo are going to quiet some critics.

For some reason I have the same feeling about Howden.

About Lias - if the management is fine with him coming back I see no problem having him on the roster. He played good in Sweden after he went back there and he has NHL experience. If Lemieux is suspended and we get a couple injuries he would be our best available.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

First round draft capital? He's a third liner at best. That's not a reactionary fan comment, that's the scouting report on him.

Is it clear that he can play? It's certainly not clear to the rest of the NHL, because the Rangers couldn't unload him. That's what this is a result of. They couldn't trade him.

This is strictly PR.

Whether or not he's a 3rd liner has nothing to do with whether or not he can be a valuable asset to the team. If the Rangers are honestly talking to him and mending bridges, I think it's a good thing.

Whether or not he's a 3rd liner has nothing to do with whether or not he can be a valuable asset to the team. If the Rangers are honestly talking to him and mending bridges, I think it's a good thing.

From the standpoint of not having a #7 overall turn into an empty sweater, sure. Better this than Jessiman.

Why? Lol. I'm fine with him competing for a spot next year. No way he should even get a call about the playoffs.

Why not?

I mean, you want to get something out of your 7th overall pick, whether its on ice play, or via trade, right now, he's worthless.

Why not?

I mean, you want to get something out of your 7th overall pick, whether its on ice play, or via trade, right now, he's worthless.

Because it will be the playoffs and Quinn never even trusted him in a regular season game. Pointless. He won't suit up.

Because it will be the playoffs and Quinn never even trusted him in a regular season game. Pointless. He won't suit up.

You never know.

Quinn is a communicator (based on what people say). Doesnt hurt to have another option available for the playoffs, or the future.

I mean, Andersson should be an ideal Quinn player. If this kid actually progressed even slightly towards expectations, he'd be useful now, and even moreso to the team in the next 2, 3 seasons as an effective 3rd liner, and secondary scoring with some additional intangibles is what they/will need.

You never know.

Quinn is a communicator (based on what people say). Doesnt hurt to have another option available for the playoffs, or the future.

I mean, Andersson should be an ideal Quinn player. If this kid actually progressed even slightly towards expectations, he'd be useful now, and even moreso to the team in the next 2, 3 seasons as an effective 3rd liner, and secondary scoring with some additional intangibles is what they/will need.

All of that is still possible for him, provided he matures, addresses his issues whatever they might be, and does some work to improve his game, particularly his skating.

Don’t see much chance of him as an option this year

Not sure he’s ever an option again on this team

He did leave. Ask for a trade. Got suspended.

Let him stay in Europe.

Re-visit this situation whenever next season’s camp is approaching.

I was just looking over Anderssons game logs and stats. The last game he played on 11/16/19 verses the Panthers he only got 7 shifts and 3.55 toi in that game. Quinn saw something in that game that caused him to be benched, then sent to Hartford. I'm sure he was sent down because of all his 17 games but that Panther game was what started his whole mess. I'm going to watch that game to see if it was an on ice thing or maybe something said behind the scenes. Does anyone have any insight on this? Just bored and curious.

I was just looking over Anderssons game logs and stats. The last game he played on 11/16/19 verses the Panthers he only got 7 shifts and 3.55 toi in that game. Quinn saw something in that game that caused him to be benched, then sent to Hartford. I'm sure he was sent down because of all his 17 games but that Panther game was what started his whole mess. I'm going to watch that game to see if it was an on ice thing or maybe something said behind the scenes. Does anyone have any insight on this? Just bored and curious.

GDT: http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?22160-RS-(-15)-Rangers-vs-Florida-Panthers-We-Meet-Again-Rangers-South&highlight=rangers+panthers

I dont recall much. Crap, lazy afternoon game that had some decent highlights.

Andersson had a shit game the prior game. This game was on the ice for a goal against, I think.

Rangers were going through a stretch of 0-3-1 OT win. They needed a change. Andersson was sent down, Gettinger was brought up. http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?21956-2019-20-Interactive-Power-Rankings&p=989919&viewfull=1#post989919

• 3 months later...