• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What are Jacob Trouba's Strong Defensive Attributes?

CBrowningPI

I'm having trouble trying to figure out what Troubas strong defensive attributes are. He seems slow to engage in his zone and has many misreads on plays. I like his shot from the point ( if it's on net ) but I'm not seeing a whole lot of defensive stability. I'd love it if someone could explain why he deserved that contract, based on his performance in N.Y..

Agreed. This was an old Ranger move based on one really good season. Pionk was developing nicely and could've stayed for less money. Regretful move, another D albatross for many moons to come. To answer the original question which seems sort of rhetorical because we all watch the same hockey games....Average all around D man. Not impressed so far.

Agreed. This was an old Ranger move based on one really good season. Pionk was developing nicely and could've stayed for less money. Regretful move, another D albatross for many moons to come. To answer the original question which seems sort of rhetorical because we all watch the same hockey games....Average all around D man. Not impressed so far.

Except it's not, because Trouba is only 25. Everyone here fucking hated Pionk last year, wanted him benched or sent down, now suddenly it's the opposite? Please.

Do we need a negative thread after every loss? It's kinda pathetic.

Except it's not, because Trouba is only 25. Everyone here fucking hated Pionk last year, wanted him benched or sent down, now suddenly it's the opposite? Please.

Do we need a negative thread after every loss? It's kinda pathetic.

In terms of age, I understand your counter however my comment was meant more so as "the big name" in the big apple signing. History isn't good for us in signing the big names on the market. Hopefully he pans out; we all have the same goal here.

From what I see:

Pros

• Solid positionally
  • Calm with the puck and makes quick and smart decisions with it
  • Tough to play against physically, takes and gives the body well
  • Heavy shot

Cons

• Lacks high end speed/acceleration, which means he can't recover like a McDonagh used to be able to do when he...
  • Gets caught flat-footed at times
  • Lacks puck control skills that elite defensemen have

Worth 7 years at 8M per? Tough call. I don't see a #1 here. I see a #2-#3. He can carry a 2nd pairing or be a cog for a #1 LHD. Is that worth the money paid/due?

This seems like a pretty bad deal now. He's not bad but he wasn't necessary. As far as the right side goes, Nils Lundqvist is a 1st round pick that may be ready next year or the year after and we have Fox looking fantastic. That makes DeAngelo the odd man out, which sucks. I'd rather have Deangelo at $5-6 mil than Trouba at $8 mil. Fox seems like he could hold down the top pair eventually with the right partner. Even Joey Keane could have been a nice fallback option on the right side very soon. I don't see how Trouba is worth that kind of money for what he brings. I'm not impressed thus far. I guess there was no way of knowing that Fox would be this good. I think if they had a do-over they pass on Trouba.

I noticed Trouba's contract has no trade protection this year, but does the rest of the years. Anyone know what the thinking was there on the part of both sides? Why would Trouba have agreed to that? Presumably the only reason the Rangers would have wanted that written up like that was to have an out...

I noticed Trouba's contract has no trade protection this year, but does the rest of the years. Anyone know what the thinking was there on the part of both sides? Why would Trouba have agreed to that? Presumably the only reason the Rangers would have wanted that written up like that was to have an out...

NMC through 2023-2024

MNTC 2024-2025 15 team no trade list

MNTC 2025-2026 12 team no trade list

Trouba brings grit, a big shot, a veteran presence, some size, and some stability. Besides Staal, the D is extremely young. They needed a guy to come in and be the go to guy. He brings an instant legitimacy to the top pair.

I don't think he is worth that contract, but this team needed the player. Overpaid, but its understood why. They don't have any player coming up (any time soon) that brings what he instantly brought.

I like him and think he still needs to settle in. Better things to come from this guy.

If you look at it right now, sure, they overpaid.

But I think you have to consider an element of what he might become. He's still only 25 years old. If he's still the same player at 28, then it's probably not a great deal.

If he develops into a bonafide #1 defenseman - which is definitely possible imo - then it might look quite good.

If you are unwilling to imagine him developing into something better.

I'm not sure defensemen having career years at 23-24 years old is all that common.

The stars needed to align for Trouba to get one 50 point season after failing to ever hit 82 games before. His P/GP hovered between 35 and 45. We gambled. We may have lost.

Looks like, since you asked:

Drew Doughty had his best scoring year at 24.

Ryan McDonagh has his best scoring year at 24.

Karlsson at 25.

Suter at 26.

The stars needed to align for Trouba to get one 50 point season after failing to ever hit 82 games before. His P/GP hovered between 35 and 45. We gambled. We may have lost.

Karlsson at 25.

Suter at 26.

His points went up because he got a large increase in PP time.

However, he is getting a good chunk more PP time this year than even last year, and only on pace for 38 points. I thought we'd see more of the kind of game he brought the first couple games of the season. Been very quiet on the offensive front.

His points went up because he got a large increase in PP time.

However, he is getting a good chunk more PP time this year than even last year, and only on pace for 38 points. I thought we'd see more of the kind of game he brought the first couple games of the season. Been very quiet on the offensive front.

That bomb of shot that only seems good at denting jersey logos.

Karlsson at 25.

Suter at 26.

Right. I wasn't aware we're talking only about points. The name of the thread is "What are Jacob Trouba's strong defensive attributes".

My point is he may very well become a well rounded defenseman worthy of his contract, given another 2 to 3 seasons playing a key role. Of course he may not, but that's the chance they took with this contract. But sure, if last season turns out to be his career year in terms of points that contract probably doesn't look too great.

Right. I wasn't aware we're talking only about points. The name of the thread is "What are Jacob Trouba's strong defensive attributes".

My point is he may very well become a well rounded defenseman worthy of his contract, given another 2 to 3 seasons playing a key role. Of course he may not, but that's the chance they took with this contract. But sure, if last season turns out to be his career year in terms of points that contract probably doesn't look too great.

Defenseman don't get $8m/yr for strong defensive attributes.

I don't know how anyone could make the argument that we didn't overpay when that contract was signed. You don't hand out an 8 year X 8 million contract because someone might get better based based on one great season. Having said that, if Trouba continues to be that cornerstone 2-3 defensemen almost every contending team has, that should be fine given the inflation on NHL contracts and some of the kids kids developing. If any 3 of DeAngelo, Fox, Hajek, Lingdren, Keane, Miller, or Lunqvist develop into the same type of player or better, the salary cap will work as they will likely not be paying "almost" free agent value for them like they did with Trouba.