Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are Jacob Trouba's Strong Defensive Attributes?

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The stars needed to align for Trouba to get one 50 point season after failing to ever hit 82 games before. His P/GP hovered between 35 and 45. We gambled. We may have lost.

Looks like, since you asked:

Drew Doughty had his best scoring year at 24.
    Ryan McDonagh has his best scoring year at 24.
    Karlsson at 25.
    Suter at 26.
    His points went up because he got a large increase in PP time.

However, he is getting a good chunk more PP time this year than even last year, and only on pace for 38 points. I thought we'd see more of the kind of game he brought the first couple games of the season. Been very quiet on the offensive front.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    His points went up because he got a large increase in PP time.

However, he is getting a good chunk more PP time this year than even last year, and only on pace for 38 points. I thought we'd see more of the kind of game he brought the first couple games of the season. Been very quiet on the offensive front.
    That bomb of shot that only seems good at denting jersey logos.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The stars needed to align for Trouba to get one 50 point season after failing to ever hit 82 games before. His P/GP hovered between 35 and 45. We gambled. We may have lost.

Looks like, since you asked:

Drew Doughty had his best scoring year at 24.
    Ryan McDonagh has his best scoring year at 24.
    Karlsson at 25.
    Suter at 26.
    Right. I wasn't aware we're talking only about points. The name of the thread is "What are Jacob Trouba's strong defensive attributes".
    My point is he may very well become a well rounded defenseman worthy of his contract, given another 2 to 3 seasons playing a key role. Of course he may not, but that's the chance they took with this contract. But sure, if last season turns out to be his career year in terms of points that contract probably doesn't look too great.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Right. I wasn't aware we're talking only about points. The name of the thread is "What are Jacob Trouba's strong defensive attributes".
    My point is he may very well become a well rounded defenseman worthy of his contract, given another 2 to 3 seasons playing a key role. Of course he may not, but that's the chance they took with this contract. But sure, if last season turns out to be his career year in terms of points that contract probably doesn't look too great.
    Defenseman don't get $8m/yr for strong defensive attributes.

Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    I don't know how anyone could make the argument that we didn't overpay when that contract was signed. You don't hand out an 8 year X 8 million contract because someone might get better based based on one great season. Having said that, if Trouba continues to be that cornerstone 2-3 defensemen almost every contending team has, that should be fine given the inflation on NHL contracts and some of the kids kids developing. If any 3 of DeAngelo, Fox, Hajek, Lingdren, Keane, Miller, or Lunqvist develop into the same type of player or better, the salary cap will work as they will likely not be paying "almost" free agent value for them like they did with Trouba.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyInTheMiddle View Post
    I don't know how anyone could make the argument that we didn't overpay when that contract was signed.
    I don’t think anyone’s making that argument.
    I believe the first thing I said in this thread was “if you look at it right now, sure, they overpaid”.

Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    I don’t think anyone’s making that argument.
    I believe the first thing I said in this thread was “if you look at it right now, sure, they overpaid”.
    I wasn’t criticizing your comment per se, and totally recognize that you understand that he is overpaid. I do get the general perception that other people in this thread are surprised that he is not playing the role of a number 1 defenseman.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

not impressed so far but willing to be patient. I do think the last couple of years on the deal can be a real problem. Hoping for the best.

Most games to me he's pretty invisible in that I don't notice him. That can be a really good thing I guess for a defensemen but probably not for one at that cost and term.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Is he still on the PP? I know the first unit is Fox and Panarin, and DeAngelo is on the 2nd, but who's on the other point? I thought I saw Skjei tonight.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    He was on the 2nd unit at least once. That unit didn't get much time.

Senior Member Bantam Division Sharpshooter's Avatar
    He hasn't been phenomenal, but I'm willing to give him some more time. I still like the acquisition of Trouba, he's just making a ridiculous amount of money. Some thought Panarin was being overpaid. LOL No.

I am really liking his physical presence in the corners and his ability to move guys in front of the net. His game looks to be improving as of late.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    I am really liking his physical presence in the corners and his ability to move guys in front of the net. His game looks to be improving as of late.
    I agree with this. He’s the most physical D man on the team and along with Lindgren, it’s nice to finally have a couple guys who aren’t afraid to bury people or clear the crease. Trouba has made some mistakes but I think it’s only fair to give him time to figure out his new assignment. Rangers are asking him to do more than the Jets ever did, and asking him to do it with a rookie beside him.
    GORTON 2020

Trouba has made some mistakes but I think it’s only fair to give him time to figure out his new assignment. Rangers are asking him to do more than the Jets ever did, and asking him to do it with a rookie beside him.
    Yes, I need to keep that in mind. He's only 25 yrs old and the only team he's known was the Jets organization ( team, coaches, city). Now he signs a big contract, moved his life, playing with new teammates, coaches, systems and on top of it he's considered a vet with a shitload more reponsiblities and playing time. His "prime" is probably in a year or two. I have the a typical impatience in my fandome. He was billed as "shoring up the defense" but that could certainly mean down the road a little. I just have to quiet that little voice that says " 8 MILLION DOLLARS " !!!

Senior Member Midget Division
    anyone see pionk's stat line playing plus twenty min a night
    Acqua in bocca

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    anyone see pionk's stat line playing plus twenty min a night
    Fewer points/g, equal PDO playing with crazy advantageous zone starts.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12