• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Don Cherry Rants on Immigrants; Fired by Sportsnet

Phil

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General consensus is that:

A) this should have happened sooner.

B) of all the reasons that Cherry could have been fired over the years, or just for general lack of growing with the game over time, #Poppygate seems like the shittiest reason to fire an 85 year old man.

Can’t say I disagree with either, lol.

Cherry needed to take a different angle, perhaps be a proponent of history. This is a generational issue.

Canada lost over 100k soldiers in WW1 and WW2

In the 70 years since, they?ve only lost a few hundred

Of course this generation doesnt have the same empathy as the previous generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

General consensus is that:

A) this should have happened sooner.

B) of all the reasons that Cherry could have been fired over the years, or just for general lack of growing with the game over time, #Poppygate seems like the shittiest reason to fire an 85 year old man.

Can’t say I disagree with either, lol.

Have no idea if the poppy sales in Canada go to a legitimate veterans charity or it's a bunch of guys freelancing for a few dollars. Barely even see them any more of those fundraisers around here spare one local volunteer firehouse that uses them for Memorial Day legitimate fundraising for veterans. If he was fired on Veterans Day for advocating if ham-fistedly for veterans charities, that seems really stupid.

He's said some remarkably stupid things about head injuries and many shortsighted xenophobic things about Euro players. He's really wrong about both of those things. Cherry is really, really old. Don't think they should have fired him, but I'm American with the 1st Amendment.And what ever you think of Trump(I won't go there), at least we don't have a Prime Minister who appears to have been photographed in black face on an annual basis.

Have no idea if the poppy sales in Canada go to a legitimate veterans charity or it's a bunch of guys freelancing for a few dollars. Barely even see them any more of those fundraisers around here spare one local volunteer firehouse that uses them for Memorial Day legitimate fundraising for veterans. If he was fired on Veterans Day for advocating if ham-fistedly for veterans charities, that seems really stupid.

He's said some remarkably stupid things about head injuries and many shortsighted xenophobic things about Euro players. He's really wrong about both of those things. Cherry is really, really old. Don't think they should have fired him, but I'm American with the 1st Amendment.And what ever you think of Trump(I won't go there), at least we don't have a Prime Minister who appears to have been photographed in black face on an annual basis.

First amendment doesn't protect your job. It protects you from jail.

Cherry just needed to be smarter about what he says.

I don’t know tons about Cherry, but I don’t believe that he’s an outright bigot or that his heart is filled with hate. Just an old, ultra conservative guy who holds some opinions that however misplaced they are today, we’re common in his day.

But it’s no excuse

Realistically, he got fired for stupidity more than anything else.

These days, people don’t want to hear about anything political from their sportscasters. It never goes well when those men and women do that.

First amendment doesn't protect your job. It protects you from jail.

This is true, as I can tell you "professionally". Still think the chilling effect on people's free expression regarding employment is more of a way for employers to find reasons, good, bad or indifferent, to get rid of employees.

Won't pretend to know the ins and outs of Canadian employment law. Simply don't know that his views in this instance, if poorly stated, were all that awful. Some of the other things he has said are really awful, and they didn't fire him for any of those. For decades. They tolerated him saying terrible bigoted things, and often wrongheaded Cro Magnon views. And his tongue wasn't always in cheek. Now he went too far? So firing him for this looks excessive.

Don't think CBC had much choice here. I think I get the intent Don was coming from and maybe that's why I'm not personally offended by his comments, as an immigrant to Canada, but he definitely lacks tact and wouldn't be the first time he put his foot in his mouth with poor choice of words. Unfortunately in this day and age where every single word is scrutinized, there's a price to pay and CBC had to take action to avoid looking like they were condoning his message.

This is true, as I can tell you "professionally". Still think the chilling effect on people's free expression regarding employment is more of a way for employers to find reasons, good, bad or indifferent, to get rid of employees.

Won't pretend to know the ins and outs of Canadian employment law. Simply don't know that his views in this instance, if poorly stated, were all that awful. Some of the other things he has said are really awful, and they didn't fire him for any of those. For decades. They tolerated him saying terrible bigoted things, and often wrongheaded Cro Magnon views. And his tongue wasn't always in cheek. Now he went too far? So firing him for this looks excessive.

At this point, it’s not just for this

It’s all the other stuff he’s said in addition

This was just the straw

About time.

Yeah

They let him slide many times

He’s said worse previously

Again, he just didn’t learn.

Needed to stop putting his non-hockey opinions out there. He didn’t

Needed to not say anything with political implications. He didn’t

Needed to not say anything related to anyone’s race, culture, or ethnicity, or anything that could be construed as such, hockey related or not. He didn’t.

In other words. " I'm a spineless weasel. Please don't fire me too, because now that formula that worked forever is totally gone".

I can’t actually blame him for not stepping on Don’s dick, a colleague of his for many years and a friend, on the air.

It’s a difficult spot for him to be in and even with Don’s record of saying shit he shouldn’t, he was probably surprised by the comment.

He definitely didn’t need to give it the old thumbs up though

But don’t throw him in the bag with Cherry.

He didn’t actually say anything

I wonder how many times SportsNet contemplated this in the past.

And why didn't they? Because he drew viewers because of the crazy, sometimes very unpopular, shit that he said routinely. SportsNet benefited throughout the years from Cherry and allowed him to be what he was: a galvanizing figure that people loved or hated but watched. This move probably coincided with a dip in popularity or a threat from advertisers.

This is pretty much the equivalent of Johnny Carson getting fired for an off colour joke.

Don Cherry ranked as the 7th greatest Canadian in history on a national poll/competition. He was a tireless advocate for our Vets and they fired him on Rememberance Day.

He should have stepped aside on his own sometime ago to prevent this inevitable eventuality. I wish he'd get one more CC for old time's sake. What an utter Institution that program was.

• Like 1

And why didn't they? Because he drew viewers because of the crazy, sometimes very unpopular, shit that he said routinely. SportsNet benefited throughout the years from Cherry and allowed him to be what he was: a galvanizing figure that people loved or hated but watched. This move probably coincided with a dip in popularity or a threat from advertisers.
I don't really think it has anything to do with the viewers, more likely they felt bad to fire the old senile man.

This is pretty much the equivalent of Johnny Carson getting fired for an off colour joke.

Don Cherry ranked as the 7th greatest Canadian in history on a national poll/competition. He was a tireless advocate for our Vets and they fired him on Rememberance Day.

He should have stepped aside on his own sometime ago to prevent this inevitable eventuality. I wish he'd get one more CC for old time's sake. What an utter Institution that program was.

And there's nothing wrong with Johnny Carson getting fired for an off-color joke. It's not 1965.

And there's nothing wrong with Johnny Carson getting fired for an off-color joke. It's not 1965.

Just look at these comments. This man had to be stopped. This is wild stuff. It's really for the best that he's banished from society.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/don-cherry-s-history-of-controversial-comments-1.4680505

I feel a lot better knowing my children won't be able to have opinions on things. We've weeded that out, thankfully.