• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Don Cherry Rants on Immigrants; Fired by Sportsnet

Phil

Well I meant it more like he didn't have his back. Their good cop bad cop routine is what gave them jobs for so long. To push Don under the bus to salvage his own career is pretty shitty. Could have had his back a little. Cherry's attitude is a schtick, and it was a formula that worked. I kinda think this guy is nothing without Cherry. And jeez. What he said wasn't racist or anything. Guy thinks the veterans deserve more praise from newer generations... Why can't someone say that without being called a racist or bigot? Like being patriotic makes you any of that...?

It wasn’t overtly racist. I’ll say that. But the implication and connotation are there when you through in a “you people” or single out a particular group.

Again. Fired for stupidity

No one who covers sports should say anything related to politics or race or social justice issues or the like. It’s not why people tune in. It’s not what they’re paid for. Just stick to the sport you’re covering.

That said, had he said something to the effect of, “It upsets me when Canadians don’t wear the Poppy. No matter where they’re from, their race, their religion, rich, poor, everyone. People sacrificed for you to have the life you have. Spend the buck. Wear the poppy. Show your appreciation.” That would have been ok.

I think overall that was probably the feeling

But singling out any one group, just stupid.

He could’ve also said “by you people, I mean people not wearing the poppy.” But that’s not who he meant.

Just stupid

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 Thoughts had a great take on this.

It's unfortunate for everyone, no one can defend or condone the comments, times are different now a s hockey should be inclusive.

Like I've stated in this thread, I don't think anyone would argue that at some point, Cherry had to get canned for the stuff he spouts weekly. The game seems to have passed him by, and he frequently makes off color remarks. However, I believe there's some shock that the poppy incident was the straw that broke the camel's back.

It's like a victim on an abusive relationship who's dealt with verbal and physical abuse, cheating, lying, etc., who finally decides to leave the guy because he left the toilet seat up. It's like, "yeah, you're right for leaving him. He's an asshole... but THAT's what pushed you over the edge?"

Like I've stated in this thread, I don't think anyone would argue that at some point, Cherry had to get canned for the stuff he spouts weekly. The game seems to have passed him by, and he frequently makes off color remarks. However, I believe there's some shock that the poppy incident was the straw that broke the camel's back.

It's like a victim on an abusive relationship who's dealt with verbal and physical abuse, cheating, lying, etc., who finally decides to leave the guy because he left the toilet seat up. It's like, "yeah, you're right for leaving him. He's an asshole... but THAT's what pushed you over the edge?"

Some of that. What he said was inartful; supporting veterans' charities is a good thing, but the "you people" thing was stupid. He's even acknowledged that.

Also while Cherry might be popular, HNIC is bulletproof. No Canadian was going to stop watching the NHL. This was the one step too far that gave them a chance to cut bait on him, and more important to them, costs. Really his numerous statements about Euro players and head injuries were far worse. He's really old and really expensive; get rid of him for cause, and you don't have to pay him nor put up with his diva act.There is some tailor in Ontario weeping that he won't be getting a big check every week for ANOTHER ugly suit.

We'll see what the ratings look like after next week and beyond. There is a lot of sabre rattling here about boycotting. I don't think it'll amount to much.

However, this property is an Albatross for Rogers. They lose money on the NHL rights.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...