• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Don Cherry Rants on Immigrants; Fired by Sportsnet

Phil

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a separate note, isn't Coach's Corner pre-taped? Why did SN allow it to air if they felt the comments were offensive?

That's a good point.

That's probably the best point that's been made in this discussion. Well done.

That's a great point. Everything is always about money in the end. This really makes me believe that one of the show's key advertisers must have forced this on SportsNet.

I can?t actually blame him for not stepping on Don?s dick, a colleague of his for many years and a friend, on the air.

It?s a difficult spot for him to be in and even with Don?s record of saying shit he shouldn?t, he was probably surprised by the comment.

He definitely didn?t need to give it the old thumbs up though

But don?t throw him in the bag with Cherry.

He didn?t actually say anything

Well I meant it more like he didn't have his back. Their good cop bad cop routine is what gave them jobs for so long. To push Don under the bus to salvage his own career is pretty shitty. Could have had his back a little. Cherry's attitude is a schtick, and it was a formula that worked. I kinda think this guy is nothing without Cherry. And jeez. What he said wasn't racist or anything. Guy thinks the veterans deserve more praise from newer generations... Why can't someone say that without being called a racist or bigot? Like being patriotic makes you any of that...?

He says "You guys" as reference to the populace all the time.

He was really talking about/to everyone. I don't wear a poppy and I know better. They've virtually disappeared for under 40's, at least nothing like it was for my dad's generation. He was talking to people like me.

The Bolsheviks here have been just waiting for something to nail him to the wall with, it was only a matter of time, that's why I wish he would have left on his own accord but as Pete mentioned, he doesn't seem upset about it, more of a fuck these corporate fucks kind of attitude from his statements today.

He was really talking about/to everyone. I don't wear a poppy and I know better. They've virtually disappeared for under 40's, at least nothing like it was for my dad's generation. He was talking to people like me.

The Bolsheviks here have been just waiting for something to nail him to the wall with, it was only a matter of time, that's why I wish he would have left on his own accord but as Pete mentioned, he doesn't seem upset about it, more of a fuck these corporate fucks kind of attitude from his statements today.

no, he said you people come here. So he was clearly talking about immigrants. And it doesn't matter if they're black or white.

"YOU love OUR way of life. YOU love OUR milk and honey." He's not talking to everyone.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Would it be ok if he was talking about white American immigrants though?
Sure. But would he have said it about white American immigrants? Is there any meaningful indication that was who he was talking about? If not, it seems a strawman of negligible value.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sure. But would he have said it about white American immigrants? Is there any meaningful indication that was who he was talking about? If not, it seems a strawman of negligible value.

You'll have to ask him that. I'm not the one calling him racist or xenophobic. Only he knows if he said it with malice in his heart because of their race, skin color, etc., or if he said it because he's old school and feels his country's heritage is being disrespected by newcomers regardless of race.

By the way, evaluating double standards and looking at the coin from the other side to understand complex situations isn't always immediately a strawman. Kind of a cop out to reduce it to such.

Not sure why y'all are hung up on color.

The comments were discriminatory against immigrants. Doesn't matter what color. It's targeting a group with offensive comments. SNs statement doesn't say racist. It says discriminatory. Which it was.

He's a known commodity in this regard.

And if SN wanted to fire him for saying ice was too cold, it's within their purview.

It's very American to make it about race or skin color. And more a bully pulpit than anything.

You'll have to ask him that. I'm not the one calling him racist or xenophobic. Only he knows if he said it with malice in his heart because of their race, skin color, etc., or if he said it because he's old school and feels his country's heritage is being disrespected by newcomers regardless of race.

By the way, evaluating double standards and looking at the coin from the other side to understand complex situations isn't always immediately a strawman. Kind of a cop out to reduce it to such.

As far as I can find, US and European immigration amounted to roughly 10% of total entrants to Canada in 2017. 60% came from Asia, with the top three sources being India, the Philippines, and China (in order). The other 30% are roughly divided between South and Central America, Africa, and the Middle East. That seems roughly consistent for 2016 and 2015. In what logical universe, if someone generally complains about the behavior of recent immigrants, are they talking about white Americans? It just seems to me a double standard in theory only if there's no real application for it other than to say, "well, he could have been talking about white immigrants." If there's no indication that he actually was, it's a construct that exists only to defend Cherry's comments. Just telling you how it strikes me.