Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Don Cherry Rants on Immigrants; Fired by Sportsnet

HNIC BSBH Legend
    31 Thoughts had a great take on this.

It's unfortunate for everyone, no one can defend or condone the comments, times are different now a s hockey should be inclusive.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    31 Thoughts had a great take on this.

It's unfortunate for everyone, no one can defend or condone the comments, times are different now a s hockey should be inclusive.
    Like I've stated in this thread, I don't think anyone would argue that at some point, Cherry had to get canned for the stuff he spouts weekly. The game seems to have passed him by, and he frequently makes off color remarks. However, I believe there's some shock that the poppy incident was the straw that broke the camel's back.

It's like a victim on an abusive relationship who's dealt with verbal and physical abuse, cheating, lying, etc., who finally decides to leave the guy because he left the toilet seat up. It's like, "yeah, you're right for leaving him. He's an asshole... but THAT's what pushed you over the edge?"

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    Like I've stated in this thread, I don't think anyone would argue that at some point, Cherry had to get canned for the stuff he spouts weekly. The game seems to have passed him by, and he frequently makes off color remarks. However, I believe there's some shock that the poppy incident was the straw that broke the camel's back.

It's like a victim on an abusive relationship who's dealt with verbal and physical abuse, cheating, lying, etc., who finally decides to leave the guy because he left the toilet seat up. It's like, "yeah, you're right for leaving him. He's an asshole... but THAT's what pushed you over the edge?"
    Some of that. What he said was inartful; supporting veterans' charities is a good thing, but the "you people" thing was stupid. He's even acknowledged that.

Also while Cherry might be popular, HNIC is bulletproof. No Canadian was going to stop watching the NHL. This was the one step too far that gave them a chance to cut bait on him, and more important to them, costs. Really his numerous statements about Euro players and head injuries were far worse. He's really old and really expensive; get rid of him for cause, and you don't have to pay him nor put up with his diva act.There is some tailor in Ontario weeping that he won't be getting a big check every week for ANOTHER ugly suit.
    Last edited by Bugg; 11-16-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    We'll see what the ratings look like after next week and beyond. There is a lot of sabre rattling here about boycotting. I don't think it'll amount to much.

However, this property is an Albatross for Rogers. They lose money on the NHL rights.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    As opposed to refreshing Corona news every ten seconds, I'm going back to watch clips from the greatest hockey sportscaster who ever lived. Don Cherry.

Here's a beauty from 1987.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456