• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Don Cherry Rants on Immigrants; Fired by Sportsnet

Phil

Just look at these comments. This man had to be stopped. This is wild stuff. It's really for the best that he's banished from society.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/don-cherry-s-history-of-controversial-comments-1.4680505

I feel a lot better knowing my children won't be able to have opinions on things. We've weeded that out, thankfully.

Did any of those age well?

It's widely assumed that Ted Nolan was blackballed, Rob Ford was an atrocious mayor, Climate Change is scientifically proven, time has proven that our beloved enforcers of yore have serious issues with narcotic and alcohol abuse to cope with the pain, and he's bitched out the greatest goalscorer of our time for being showy when he scores.

It's fine to have opinions, but his are all too often woefully misinformed and patently bad.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just look at these comments. This man had to be stopped. This is wild stuff. It's really for the best that he's banished from society.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/don-cherry-s-history-of-controversial-comments-1.4680505

I feel a lot better knowing my children won't be able to have opinions on things. We've weeded that out, thankfully.

Cherry is free to go about his life in society. Just not on TV.

Your kids can learn that they're free to have opinions, but using their employer's platform to voice them without prior approval might have consequences.

Cherry doesn't seem to be as upset as you are. If he's not upset, you kind of lose your right to be outraged for him.

Did any of those age well?

It's widely assumed that Ted Nolan was blackballed, Rob Ford was an atrocious mayor, Climate Change is scientifically proven, time has proven that our beloved enforcers of yore have serious issues with narcotic and alcohol abuse to cope with the pain, and he's bitched out the greatest goalscorer of our time for being showy when he scores.

It's fine to have opinions, but his are all too often woefully misinformed and patently bad.

Isn't that what I said?

Racism is prejudice plus power. You can't be racist if the people you're talking about have power.

Sorry, these are the rules. I only asked they're applied evenly.

Why is it that pointing out the flaws of wipepo and applying them to the group, as a whole, is perfectly socially acceptable, is that racism? It's everywhere.

so if someone hurled the N bomb at Barack Obama that isn't racist because he's president?

ok i was just trying to clarify what you meant

with that said, I disagree with your assessment. Even if immigrants are doing comparatively well in Canada, it doesn't mean that someone bashing them because they are immigrants, or bashing them for where they come from or for what they look like, it doesn't make it any less of a racist thing to say.

Don Cherry has been a polarizing figure going back to his playing/coaching days. SO WHAT! Check out some of the politicians in the U.S. that publicly state their bigoted views, which are aired on TV and in the news media and they continue to get re-elected. Listen to the current President, for example. I'm not Canadian but watch many hockey games on TV and have watched the Coach's corner segment whenever possible. I found it entertaining and somewhat informative. Sad day, imo.

I'm really not even sure what he's getting at but not quite seeing how that's "racist". Are there no people from European countries that are emigrated to Canada?

I agree and do think the term "racist" has been stretched about as far as it can go, nowadays.

However, regardless of whatever term you want to put on it, I don't think it's a mystery as to who/what he was talking about.

I'm really not even sure what he's getting at but not quite seeing how that's "racist". Are there no people from European countries that are emigrated to Canada?

I agree and do think the term "racist" has been stretched about as far as it can go, nowadays.

However, regardless of whatever term you want to put on it, I don't think it's a mystery as to who/what he was talking about.

The comments weren't racist, but they were insulting and racially motivated.

its ironic that a man of such conservative views wears such non-conservative clothes

We'll, it's as the ZZ Top song puts so poignantly.

"Every Binary, Cis-Gendered, Female is abnormally aroused by a sharp dressed Binary, Cis-Gendered Male."

• Like 1