• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Don Cherry Rants on Immigrants; Fired by Sportsnet

Phil

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he was ranting about unappreciative Canadians

He is, but he doesn't get it. People that move here, by the hundred thousands, from other locales don't care about what happened here 100 years ago, they have their own histories and that's totally fine. What's important is that my home value continues to rise.

This has nothing to do with wealth. It has to do with the us-versus-them mentailty he projects, which dogwhistles the same racist tropes as actual racism, making it, if not actual racism, indistinguishable from it.

"You people," being the main culprit here.

Racism is prejudice plus power. You can't be racist if the people you're talking about have power.

Sorry, these are the rules. I only asked they're applied evenly.

Why is it that pointing out the flaws of wipepo and applying them to the group, as a whole, is perfectly socially acceptable, is that racism? It's everywhere.

And there's a growing lack of respect and appreciation, especially amongst young people today. Quite scary.

There are other words that come to mind before "scary".

Unfortunate

Sad

Infuriating

Disgusting

"Fear" is not really part of the conversation.

There are other words that come to mind before "scary".

Unfortunate

Sad

Infuriating

Disgusting

"Fear" is not really part of the conversation.

You can call it what you want. I agree with all of those words as descriptions as well. I think there's a lot to lose when a growing populace begins to lack respect and appreciation for what others have sacrificed in order for them to live good lives. A lack of respect for fellow people comes with deterioration of society as a whole.

I?m not sure how wearing a red ribbon makes anyone more patriotic or more understanding than ?those? who don?t. i.e., I put $ in the Veteran?s fundraising can every time I see one but don?t take the poppy on a wire. I also say, ?Thank you for your service.? Why? I don?t want the poppy and don?t hang it from my car mirror or whatever you do with it. I also don?t need to feel validated in my support by displaying a ribbon.

I think where Don went off the rails is how he chastised those not willing to wear a ribbon. Listen carefully and you might hear him directing his anger there and not necessarily at unappreciative immigrants. Hey, I?m not apologizing for him as he?s still an ass. I just think the argument for and against this entire topic is misplaced.

• Like 1