• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dan Aykroyd Confirms Original Cast Are Returning for Ghostbusters III

Phil

Ghostbusters alum Dan Aykroyd has confirmed the original cast are returning for another movie. Having kept up hope for a third film in the Ghostbusters series for literally decades, fans are finally getting their wish ? though with a slight twist on the franchise. Word spread quickly this past winter when it was revealed Oscar winning Juno director Jason Reitman would be taking on the third Ghostbusters film, and there was no small amount of initial hesitancy on the part of fans, given the last time there was news of a new entry it ended up being something completely different than what many had been hoping for.

The initial announcement that Reitman?s Ghostbusters would be a return to the film?s original universe was a massive sigh of relief for fans. However, as the weeks began to pass, it was revealed Ghostbusters 2020 wouldn?t deal with the original Ghostbusters. Instead, the film was intended to pass the torch on to a new generation of supernatural exterminators, this time made up of ghostbusting teenagers. Now, in a new interview on The Greg Hill Show, Aykroyd has confirmed although the latest film in the franchise doesn?t exclusively focus on the original cast, they will be indeed be returning. Check out the entire interview below, or skip ahead to 21:53 where Aykroyd talks about the film.

?Jason Reitman wrote a beautiful, heartfelt script that takes the real DNA from the first two movies and transfers that directly to the third, the next generation. It hands the legacy off to a new generation of stars, and players, and actors, and characters. And we?ve shot our part, so Murray, Sigourney and Annie Potts, and it was really exciting working on this new idea a new take on the story which Jason ? who?s a really incredible and fine filmmaker ? came up with. So I?m pretty excited.?

https://screenrant.com/ghostbusters-original-cast-2020-akyroyd-murray-confirmed/

Cant wait for this movie to come out. That all female one was garbage, they don't even acknowledge that the other Ghostbusters existed. This is going to be epic, even though Harold Ramis is gone. I hope Rick Moraines takes part in this. He left acting when his wife died to take care of his kids.

Cant wait for this movie to come out. That all female one was garbage, they don't even acknowledge that the other Ghostbusters existed. This is going to be epic, even though Harold Ramis is gone. I hope Rick Moraines takes part in this. He left acting when his wife died to take care of his kids.

He wasn't mentioned in any of the articles that said which cast members are coming back to reprise their roles, unfortunately. I hope its just being kept on the hush though. A surprise for the fans since everyone knows he has been retired for so long.

Fun fact - Rick Moranis had family in the building in which I grew up; I’d see him every now and then.

Dude was such an awesome actor. It was my understanding that he basically took an indefinite hiatus from acting, but don’t quote me on that.

Yes, he stepped away to raise his children after his wife died, as previously posted. I don't know if it was ever an official retirement or not though.