Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ryan Strome

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    I have had this feeling nagging at me about the Strome goals I saw both last season and this and I feel like the vast majority (or at least the most memorable) were from the very edge of the crease - where you get a lot of high percentage shots, many on rebounds. I looked at IcyData and over his career he has taken about 40% of his shots from the area directly in front of the net, below the dots. In 2019, however, (don't know why they have the data by year and not by season) he has taken 67% of his shots from that area. So whether by coach's instruction or by instinct (unclear if related to amount of time playing center vs. wing which has been more this past month) he is taking significantly more shots from the slot and reaping the shot % benefits. He just had a goal bounce in off of his body, the kind you don't get hanging on the perimeter. So where he is playing and shooting from would seem to have an effect on his shooting % and make the whole picture of his (albeit modest) success look a little more like method and less like unrealistically lucky rate of goal scoring. Someone else might interpret the shot and heat maps differently. Would be interested to hear.

https://www.icydata.hockey/players/2076/ryan-strome (Looked at 2019 data vs 2013-19 career data.)

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    I have had this feeling nagging at me about the Strome goals I saw both last season and this and I feel like the vast majority (or at least the most memorable) were from the very edge of the crease - where you get a lot of high percentage shots, many on rebounds. I looked at IcyData and over his career he has taken about 40% of his shots from the area directly in front of the net, below the dots. In 2019, however, (don't know why they have the data by year and not by season) he has taken 67% of his shots from that area. So whether by coach's instruction or by instinct (unclear if related to amount of time playing center vs. wing which has been more this past month) he is taking significantly more shots from the slot and reaping the shot % benefits. He just had a goal bounce in off of his body, the kind you don't get hanging on the perimeter. So where he is playing and shooting from would seem to have an effect on his shooting % and make the whole picture of his (albeit modest) success look a little more like method and less like unrealistically lucky rate of goal scoring. Someone else might interpret the shot and heat maps differently. Would be interested to hear.

https://www.icydata.hockey/players/2076/ryan-strome (Looked at 2019 data vs 2013-19 career data.)
    Nice, and agree.

He's doing everything right and is benefitting.

Again, this isn't a 31 year old who just got good for no reason. He found a role on a team with a coach where he's comfortable.

I don't care that he produces with Panarin. Someone has to and he allows you to stretch your lineup.

Ask the Pens how long it takes to find complimentary players for stars.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    talk about baseless.

explain the defensive system? im eager to learn and will admit if im wrong
    I'm not gonna sit here and break down how NHL defenses work, there are plenty of youtube videos that can explain it to you. Not knowing how they work, or how the coach deploys it, does not mean it doesn't exist. If you truly believe an NHL coach literally doesn't have defensive system there's nothing I could say to you to change your mind. So, we'll move on.
    GORTON 2020

Banned Junior Division
    so in other words you have no idea if Quinn has a defensive system and what it is.

Ok...lets move on

HNIC BSBH Legend
    so in other words you have no idea if Quinn has a defensive system and what it is.

Ok...lets move on
    Do you want to take a stab at what you think he's telling the players on how he wants defense played?

You think he just tells them hit the ice and go buck wild?

Banned Junior Division
    Im not the one saying he has a defensive system. Im saying the opposite.
    I donít know what heís saying to his players but it doesnít look like anything structural on D

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Im not the one saying he has a defensive system. Im saying the opposite.
    I donít know what heís saying to his players but it doesnít look like anything structural on D
    So what do you think he tells the team? Don't play defense?

I'm just trying to understand what your point is... Do you seriously think an NHL coach has no guidance to his players on how he wants them to defend?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    It’s not necessarily a systemic thing

They’re just not good defensively. Defense takes skill, talent and ability too. This roster has guys that lack that and are still trying to develop that

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234