• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome

Albatrosss

I'm privy to the same information you are, which is what makes your statement baseless. Unless you somehow have access to Rangers practice and video sessions. But that's not a discussion for this thread. It's just funny how you find a way to cram it in everywhere.

so your statement just as baseless as mine. yet its funny how you think your opinions are more correct than others'.

you think Harlequinn has a defensive system in place? can you show it cause I only see 40 or more shots against per game

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right place, right time sometimes is luck. With him, since it's been 50+ games now, it seems to be his hockey smarts.

It's been a continuation of last season as well especially down the stretch where he was probably the best Rangers forward. Also, he's good enough to play with that talent and not bring him down.

It’s entirely possible that he has turned a corner and established a new level of play and production for himself.

The point about his play and production over his last 50 games as a Ranger is fair.

But he’s a 22.3% shooter in 77 career games as a Ranger. That’s an unsustainable number.

He was about an 8-9% shooter in his career prior to this

And he’s in a contract year. That has a way of perking guys up and motivating them to do their best

We will have to see

so your statement just as baseless as mine. yet its funny how you think your opinions are more correct than others'.

you think Harlequinn has a defensive system in place? can you show it cause I only see 40 or more shots against per game

Actually, on second thought, you're right. An NHL coach probably just wants them to go out there and do whatever they want as if it's house league. Happens all the time. There are many examples throughout history of the league and Quinn is yet another.

Actually, on second thought, you're right. An NHL coach probably just wants them to go out there and do whatever they want as if it's house league. Happens all the time. There are many examples throughout history of the league and Quinn is yet another.

talk about baseless.

explain the defensive system? im eager to learn and will admit if im wrong

It?s entirely possible that he has turned a corner and established a new level of play and production for himself.

The point about his play and production over his last 50 games as a Ranger is fair.

But he?s a 22.3% shooter in 77 career games as a Ranger. That?s an unsustainable number.

He was about an 8-9% shooter in his career prior to this

And he?s in a contract year. That has a way of perking guys up and motivating them to do their best

We will have to see

The number he has sustained of a full season worth of games is unsustainable? Seems like he's been able to sustain it. Much more likely to remain in the high teens than drop back under 10.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It's been ten games.

More, if you count the previous season's worth of games, but I agree with your point overall. The big fear I have has nothing to do with the player he is right now. It has to do with what that's going to cost the Rangers to keep him around and just how long he'll stay this player over the life of that deal.

More, if you count the previous season's worth of games, but I agree with your point overall. The big fear I have has nothing to do with the player he is right now. It has to do with what that's going to cost the Rangers to keep him around and just how long he'll stay this player over the life of that deal.

Sell high.

The number he has sustained of a full season worth of games is unsustainable? Seems like he's been able to sustain it. Much more likely to remain in the high teens than drop back under 10.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Logic says that 23% is unsustainable.

I get your point, but there’s no argument to make that he will

You essentially said so yourself

I’d be happy if he settled in around 12%

I checked out Stromes scoring logs and since Zibs been out Panarin is all over Stromes production. I'm not saying he didn't earn his points, but he's certainly the beneficiary of Panarins talent. I also noticed that Buch's production is tied to DeAngelo or the other way around.

Problem is, nobody else had stepped up and benefited from playing with Panarin. I think Zib can play with almost anyone and it was a waste to have the two of them on the same line.

This guy is producing, and its working. I would like to see Chytil and Kakko get time with Panarin as well to see how much they can be elevated, but for now, let this chemistry go where it goes.

I'm not sure if paying Strome 4-5 mill for 4-5 years would be a hamstring contract. If he produces in that 40- 50 point range.

I have had this feeling nagging at me about the Strome goals I saw both last season and this and I feel like the vast majority (or at least the most memorable) were from the very edge of the crease - where you get a lot of high percentage shots, many on rebounds. I looked at IcyData and over his career he has taken about 40% of his shots from the area directly in front of the net, below the dots. In 2019, however, (don't know why they have the data by year and not by season) he has taken 67% of his shots from that area. So whether by coach's instruction or by instinct (unclear if related to amount of time playing center vs. wing which has been more this past month) he is taking significantly more shots from the slot and reaping the shot % benefits. He just had a goal bounce in off of his body, the kind you don't get hanging on the perimeter. So where he is playing and shooting from would seem to have an effect on his shooting % and make the whole picture of his (albeit modest) success look a little more like method and less like unrealistically lucky rate of goal scoring. Someone else might interpret the shot and heat maps differently. Would be interested to hear.

https://www.icydata.hockey/players/2076/ryan-strome (Looked at 2019 data vs 2013-19 career data.)

I have had this feeling nagging at me about the Strome goals I saw both last season and this and I feel like the vast majority (or at least the most memorable) were from the very edge of the crease - where you get a lot of high percentage shots, many on rebounds. I looked at IcyData and over his career he has taken about 40% of his shots from the area directly in front of the net, below the dots. In 2019, however, (don't know why they have the data by year and not by season) he has taken 67% of his shots from that area. So whether by coach's instruction or by instinct (unclear if related to amount of time playing center vs. wing which has been more this past month) he is taking significantly more shots from the slot and reaping the shot % benefits. He just had a goal bounce in off of his body, the kind you don't get hanging on the perimeter. So where he is playing and shooting from would seem to have an effect on his shooting % and make the whole picture of his (albeit modest) success look a little more like method and less like unrealistically lucky rate of goal scoring. Someone else might interpret the shot and heat maps differently. Would be interested to hear.

https://www.icydata.hockey/players/2076/ryan-strome (Looked at 2019 data vs 2013-19 career data.)

Nice, and agree.

He's doing everything right and is benefitting.

Again, this isn't a 31 year old who just got good for no reason. He found a role on a team with a coach where he's comfortable.

I don't care that he produces with Panarin. Someone has to and he allows you to stretch your lineup.

Ask the Pens how long it takes to find complimentary players for stars.

talk about baseless.

explain the defensive system? im eager to learn and will admit if im wrong

I'm not gonna sit here and break down how NHL defenses work, there are plenty of youtube videos that can explain it to you. Not knowing how they work, or how the coach deploys it, does not mean it doesn't exist. If you truly believe an NHL coach literally doesn't have defensive system there's nothing I could say to you to change your mind. So, we'll move on.

so in other words you have no idea if Quinn has a defensive system and what it is.

Ok...lets move on

Do you want to take a stab at what you think he's telling the players on how he wants defense played?

You think he just tells them hit the ice and go buck wild?

Im not the one saying he has a defensive system. Im saying the opposite.

I don?t know what he?s saying to his players but it doesn?t look like anything structural on D

So what do you think he tells the team? Don't play defense?

I'm just trying to understand what your point is... Do you seriously think an NHL coach has no guidance to his players on how he wants them to defend?