Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Strome

Banned Junior Division

Ryan Strome

who is this PPG guy? Where has he come from? Looks like 2C is his

and what happens to our center position once Zib comes back? Anderssen to AHL?

Senior Member Squirt Division jsm7302's Avatar
    Strome is living up to his potential at the moment. Will it continue? Time will tell. I like the guy, he wants to be part of the core here and he is doing a helluva job staying relevant in that conversation. Hell, Chytil looks good too
    We went from no 2c to two viable options.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    STR%ME
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Strome's a good player, in general. His shooting percentage is still high (low 20s last I checked), but he's also benefiting from simply playing with better players. My worry was, and still is, what that means for his long-term outlook. It's his next deal I fear more than the player he is right now.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Strome's a good player, in general. His shooting percentage is still high (low 20s last I checked), but he's also benefiting from simply playing with better players. My worry was, and still is, what that means for his long-term outlook. It's his next deal I fear more than the player he is right now.
    they have the whole season to figure it out

Senior Member Bantam Division Sharpshooter's Avatar
    He's playing for this next contract most likely somewhere else. He's basically a stop gap here.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Strome's shooting percentage seems to be slightly misleading after watching him play for almost a full season now. He certainly doesn't just chuck the puck on net. He doesn't accumulate a high-volume of shots (like Ovechkin) but he seems to pick and choose his spots. I think the way he plays, that % is sustainable. I get the concerns about him but ever since he's been a Ranger, I've been a big fan of his versatility and his overall game in general.

Senior Member Bantam Division Sharpshooter's Avatar
    His goal last night was basically right place and the right time, it just went in off his body. Shooting percentage goes up. lol

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    His goal last night was basically right place and the right time, it just went in off his body. Shooting percentage goes up. lol
    even though he didn't shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Strome's shooting percentage seems to be slightly misleading after watching him play for almost a full season now. He certainly doesn't just chuck the puck on net. He doesn't accumulate a high-volume of shots (like Ovechkin) but he seems to pick and choose his spots. I think the way he plays, that % is sustainable. I get the concerns about him but ever since he's been a Ranger, I've been a big fan of his versatility and his overall game in general.
    In a sense, yeah. It's still inflated relative to NHL average, which is like what, 12 or 13%? But I agree he's found a way to sustain it regardless. My worry is what that means on his next deal.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    There is a legitimate fear that we may be heading towards a top heavy team because we can't afford to keep solid non-star performers. Strome and ADA are the best examples.

Strome may seriously finding his ceiling at 26 and 7 seasons into his career and living up to the promise that made him a top-5 pick in 2011.

That’s become more common

Couturier and Schenn are good examples. Like Strome they broke in at 19-20, showed flashes but kind of middled along, struggled at times, but got to their mid-20’s, 6-8 seasons in, and blossomed. Zibanejad maybe falls into that group too, to some extent.

Let’s hope that’s the case with Strome.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Good for him for producing.

I haven’t been impressed by him in the majority of games, but he’s picked up the play, and at this production rate, I can’t say much...
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Strome’s a good player, reaching the prime of his career on a team he likes. I’m not all that surprised based on how he finished last season. Good for him. Good for us.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Good for him for producing.

I haven’t been impressed by him in the majority of games, but he’s picked up the play, and at this production rate, I can’t say much...
    Pretty much this.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    In a sense, yeah. It's still inflated relative to NHL average, which is like what, 12 or 13%? But I agree he's found a way to sustain it regardless. My worry is what that means on his next deal.
    I wouldn't be concerned about paying a player who's performing if the term works.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I wouldn't be concerned about paying a player who's performing if the term works.
    Agreed

A RH center at 26 producing at a point per game pace is a guy you look at keeping around at the right money and term

Anyone producing is someone you look at keeping at the right money and term. That's the rub. Give me those numbers. I'm more than good with this Strome at this price. I'm not sure the same will be true next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Anyone producing is someone you look at keeping at the right money and term. That's the rub. Give me those numbers. I'm more than good with this Strome at this price. I'm not sure the same will be true next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Yea, everyone wants a P/G player at $3 million.

But at some point you have to chuck what he did other places and admit he's had success here.

I'm saying assess where he is end of this year and negotiate. There's no reality where we can keep saying he's "meh" because of NYI and EDM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yea, everyone wants a P/G player at $3 million.
    Just productive, period. He's clearly not a point-per-game player (consistently), but he's highly productive. I'm good with that. It's the next contract I'm worried about.

But at some point you have to chuck what he did other places and admit he's had success here.
    I ...am? Like, literally, right here in this thread.

I'm saying assess where he is end of this year and negotiate. There's no reality where we can keep saying he's "meh" because of NYI and EDM.
    Sure, I'm good with that. But I still fear whatever that ask is. Like, that 5x5 figure we kicked around before is probably still accurate, no? I'm still not comfortable with it.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast