Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68

Thread: Ryan Strome

  1. #1
    Banned Junior Division
    Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    5,793
    Rep Power
    85

    Ryan Strome

    who is this PPG guy? Where has he come from? Looks like 2C is his

    and what happens to our center position once Zib comes back? Anderssen to AHL?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Squirt Division jsm7302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NW NJ
    Posts
    290
    Rep Power
    7
    Strome is living up to his potential at the moment. Will it continue? Time will tell. I like the guy, he wants to be part of the core here and he is doing a helluva job staying relevant in that conversation. Hell, Chytil looks good too
    We went from no 2c to two viable options.

  3. #3
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,879
    Rep Power
    482
    STR%ME
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  4. #4
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,879
    Rep Power
    482
    Strome's a good player, in general. His shooting percentage is still high (low 20s last I checked), but he's also benefiting from simply playing with better players. My worry was, and still is, what that means for his long-term outlook. It's his next deal I fear more than the player he is right now.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  5. #5
    Banned Junior Division
    Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    5,793
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Strome's a good player, in general. His shooting percentage is still high (low 20s last I checked), but he's also benefiting from simply playing with better players. My worry was, and still is, what that means for his long-term outlook. It's his next deal I fear more than the player he is right now.
    they have the whole season to figure it out

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bantam Division Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    1,393
    Rep Power
    16
    He's playing for this next contract most likely somewhere else. He's basically a stop gap here.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,944
    Rep Power
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Strome's a good player, in general. His shooting percentage is still high (low 20s last I checked), but he's also benefiting from simply playing with better players. My worry was, and still is, what that means for his long-term outlook. It's his next deal I fear more than the player he is right now.
    Strome's shooting percentage seems to be slightly misleading after watching him play for almost a full season now. He certainly doesn't just chuck the puck on net. He doesn't accumulate a high-volume of shots (like Ovechkin) but he seems to pick and choose his spots. I think the way he plays, that % is sustainable. I get the concerns about him but ever since he's been a Ranger, I've been a big fan of his versatility and his overall game in general.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bantam Division Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    1,393
    Rep Power
    16
    His goal last night was basically right place and the right time, it just went in off his body. Shooting percentage goes up. lol

  9. #9
    Banned Junior Division
    Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    5,793
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    His goal last night was basically right place and the right time, it just went in off his body. Shooting percentage goes up. lol
    even though he didn't shoot.

  10. #10
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,879
    Rep Power
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Strome's shooting percentage seems to be slightly misleading after watching him play for almost a full season now. He certainly doesn't just chuck the puck on net. He doesn't accumulate a high-volume of shots (like Ovechkin) but he seems to pick and choose his spots. I think the way he plays, that % is sustainable. I get the concerns about him but ever since he's been a Ranger, I've been a big fan of his versatility and his overall game in general.
    In a sense, yeah. It's still inflated relative to NHL average, which is like what, 12 or 13%? But I agree he's found a way to sustain it regardless. My worry is what that means on his next deal.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  11. #11
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    829
    Rep Power
    27
    There is a legitimate fear that we may be heading towards a top heavy team because we can't afford to keep solid non-star performers. Strome and ADA are the best examples.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    746
    Rep Power
    21
    Strome may seriously finding his ceiling at 26 and 7 seasons into his career and living up to the promise that made him a top-5 pick in 2011.

    That’s become more common

    Couturier and Schenn are good examples. Like Strome they broke in at 19-20, showed flashes but kind of middled along, struggled at times, but got to their mid-20’s, 6-8 seasons in, and blossomed. Zibanejad maybe falls into that group too, to some extent.

    Let’s hope that’s the case with Strome.

  13. #13
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,008
    Rep Power
    362
    Good for him for producing.

    I haven’t been impressed by him in the majority of games, but he’s picked up the play, and at this production rate, I can’t say much...
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  14. #14
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,132
    Rep Power
    143
    Strome’s a good player, reaching the prime of his career on a team he likes. I’m not all that surprised based on how he finished last season. Good for him. Good for us.
    GORTON 2020

  15. #15
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,741
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Good for him for producing.

    I haven’t been impressed by him in the majority of games, but he’s picked up the play, and at this production rate, I can’t say much...
    Pretty much this.

  16. #16
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78,625
    Rep Power
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    In a sense, yeah. It's still inflated relative to NHL average, which is like what, 12 or 13%? But I agree he's found a way to sustain it regardless. My worry is what that means on his next deal.
    I wouldn't be concerned about paying a player who's performing if the term works.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    746
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I wouldn't be concerned about paying a player who's performing if the term works.
    Agreed

    A RH center at 26 producing at a point per game pace is a guy you look at keeping around at the right money and term

  18. #18
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,879
    Rep Power
    482
    Anyone producing is someone you look at keeping at the right money and term. That's the rub. Give me those numbers. I'm more than good with this Strome at this price. I'm not sure the same will be true next year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #19
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78,625
    Rep Power
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Anyone producing is someone you look at keeping at the right money and term. That's the rub. Give me those numbers. I'm more than good with this Strome at this price. I'm not sure the same will be true next year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Yea, everyone wants a P/G player at $3 million.

    But at some point you have to chuck what he did other places and admit he's had success here.

    I'm saying assess where he is end of this year and negotiate. There's no reality where we can keep saying he's "meh" because of NYI and EDM.

  20. #20
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,879
    Rep Power
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yea, everyone wants a P/G player at $3 million.
    Just productive, period. He's clearly not a point-per-game player (consistently), but he's highly productive. I'm good with that. It's the next contract I'm worried about.

    But at some point you have to chuck what he did other places and admit he's had success here.
    I ...am? Like, literally, right here in this thread.

    I'm saying assess where he is end of this year and negotiate. There's no reality where we can keep saying he's "meh" because of NYI and EDM.
    Sure, I'm good with that. But I still fear whatever that ask is. Like, that 5x5 figure we kicked around before is probably still accurate, no? I'm still not comfortable with it.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •