• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome

Albatrosss

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That takes him to 32... he's not a grinder, his game is not predicated on speed or skill, he's just really smart, and makes really good choices. That doesn't stop at 29.

No, but it might diminish well beyond his value relative to the cap hit. The result of which is, as we've seen time and again, the loss of other players who pay the price for you spending too much for too little.

I'm not saying no to the player. I'm saying that for this particular one, given his age and late-blooming, there's a limit to just how much I'm willing to spend and for just how long.

To me, the sweet spot is south of $5M on AAV for four years or fewer. He's going to be 27 when this new deal kicks in. The fewest possible 30+ years they're on the hook for, the better.

No, but it might diminish well beyond his value relative to the cap hit. The result of which is, as we've seen time and again, the loss of other players who pay the price for you spending too much for too little.

I think Strome is the perfect player to get something for at the deadline. I don't expect the Rangers to be in a position this year to make a run at the Cup, maybe not even for the next 2 seasons. So why not deal Strome to a contender that can use his solid play and experience. He's having a pretty good start to the year and his value is most likely only going to get better.

We can really profit by moving him along, and in turn give him a chance to play for a Stanley Cup.

I think you're on point with that statement, Phil. We've seen that bolded scenario here in NY time and time again. We've rarely if ever (other than last year) have been sellers at the deadline. Next year's draft is fairly deep, and we can really benefit from moving some of our aging veterans for solid prospects and/or as high a draft pick as we can get.

Strome, Kreider, and a couple others come to mind...hell, I wouldn't mind seeing Staal, Hank or, Fast go as well....as long as the return is good.

I'm not saying no to the player. I'm saying that for this particular one, given his age and late-blooming, there's a limit to just how much I'm willing to spend and for just how long.

To me, the sweet spot is south of $5M on AAV for four years or fewer. He's going to be 27 when this new deal kicks in. The fewest possible 30+ years they're on the hook for, the better.

I'm not sure what Marchand's contract situation was, but at 26 he was a 42 point player. His next 5 season were 61, 85, 85, 100, 28 (in just 15 games this year).

Blake Wheeler is another guy who exploded into a 90 point player after 30, albeit usually a 60-70ish point guy.

Sometimes things click. We shouldn't ignore it when they do.

I'm not sure what Marchand's contract situation was, but at 26 he was a 42 point player. His next 5 season were 61, 85, 85, 100, 28 (in just 15 games this year).

Blake Wheeler is another guy who exploded into a 90 point player after 30, albeit usually a 60-70ish point guy.

I'm not saying to. I'm saying to weigh when that click occurs against universal aging curves and make a calculated decision about the long-term future, wherever that number falls.

I mean, if his ask is basically the Marchand deal (8 years, $6M+) are you agreeing to that?

This is all too true. If Strome continues to produce, I'd make him the 2nd line center once Mika comes back. Keep him with Panarin.

That gives you two legit lines.

Similar to Strome is DeAngelo. If these guys are going to be awesome, then you keep them. It's gotta be as simple as that. There's enough dead weight to be shifted around that these guys can stay with a pay raise (*assuming they continue to play well).

It's important to evaluate the kinds of goals he is scoring and assisting on. They have had more of a "right place, right time" look to me. I worry about consistency in that case, so I'll need to see this across a long stretch. He has not shown this level of production before to tell me it is sustainable, though it has come at a very important time for the team with Zib out.

My previous thought was he is no more than a decent 3rd line guy I would not want to have to overpay. He may very well be a good support type player on a good 2nd line, capable of finishing plays.

It's kind of important to evauate the kinds of goals he is scoring and assisting on. They have had more of a "right place, right time" look to me. I worry about consistency in that case, so I'll need to see this across a long stretch. He has not shown this level of production before to tell me it is sustainable, though it has come at a very important time for the team with Zib out.

My previous thought was he is no more than a decent 3rd line guy I would not want to have to overpay. He may very well be a good support type player on a good 2nd line, capable of finishing plays.

That and the shooting percentage.

It’s got to come back to earth at some point.

It's important to evaluate the kinds of goals he is scoring and assisting on. They have had more of a "right place, right time" look to me. I worry about consistency in that case, so I'll need to see this across a long stretch. He has not shown this level of production before to tell me it is sustainable, though it has come at a very important time for the team with Zib out.

Sometimes that's called hockey sense.

I'm not here to say Strome is the savior but he's played very very well since coming here last year. He likes playing here, and I think he's motivated to stay here. I know he's not a draft pick of ours, and I think that dampens fan's excitement, but he deserves a ton of credit and a long look at a contract extension if he continues to play well.

• Like 1

That and the shooting percentage.

It’s got to come back to earth at some point.

I mentioned this in another thread, but he isn't a guy that takes a lot of shots. The shooting percentage might remain high if he keeps consistently putting himself in high percentage positions to score and the puck keeps finding him.

It's been ten games.

And he’s played with one of the leagues best and most dynamic offensive players a lot.

Love that he is doing this. Hope it continues

But tempered optimism would probably work best.

It's been a continuation of last season as well especially down the stretch where he was probably the best Rangers forward. Also, he's good enough to play with that talent and not bring him down.

Right place, right time sometimes is luck. With him, since it's been 50+ games now, it seems to be his hockey smarts.

I like Ryan Strome, he's a likable guy, and I'd be willing to explore extensions are a certain price point.

However, points run aside, it's not like he's been carrying play here. Last night was a great example. That line was pinned in their end, they weren't good, in fact, they were really bad for most the night. He gets another assist and everybody is happy, but it should have been 5-0 after one period largely due to that lines ineffectiveness.

Once Zib is back he can slot in somewhere, for sure, but I don't see him as a 1or 2 C, so how much are we going to give this guy?

I like Ryan Strome, he's a likable guy, and I'd be willing to explore extensions are a certain price point.

However, points run aside, it's not like he's been carrying play here. Last night was a great example. That line was pinned in their end, they weren't good, in fact, they were really bad for most the night. He gets another assist and everybody is happy, but it should have been 5-0 after one period largely due to that lines ineffectiveness.

Once Zib is back he can slot in somewhere, for sure, but I don't see him as a 1or 2 C, so how much are we going to give this guy?

you cant blame the team's defensive shit show on one guy tho, unless its Harlequinn. Not Strome's fault the coach has no defensive system

you see something most of us here don't?

I'm privy to the same information you are, which is what makes your statement baseless. Unless you somehow have access to Rangers practice and video sessions. But that's not a discussion for this thread. It's just funny how you find a way to cram it in everywhere.