• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Brady Skjei That Bad?

Pete

In all seriousness...

Guy has a ton of potential. He needs to focus on defense. Strictly defense. His smarts and athleticism will compliment that by sneaking in some offense, but his focus needs to be on being a stay at home defender

I agree.... get back to the basics....maybe good things can happen if he focuses on his positioning first.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I read those posts and see him play, the less I'm believing that he will play out his contract with the team.

His stock is not really high, so a return won't be that much right now unless he is packaged with another prospect, RFA.

Wondering if he could be heading to Edmonton sometime soon with a chance on getting back JP and another salary relief for Edmonton.... I can see it happening.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm a bit on the fence. When Staal sat, Skeij seemed to step up a bit. Enough to say wow? No, but the difference was noticeable at least for a couple of games. Allowing a D-man to grow into his position is old-school thinking and rightly so based on history of the position. Are there exceptions? Of course. I think Skeij will grow into a legit NHL'er but it will probably be elsewhere. Getting PJ as part of a deal would be nice at this point.

It's been said a million times before, but it's strange how load management for skaters isn't a done thing in the NHL.

I think it has more to do with the player, who are paid for points, than management. If I were the coach, I'd be rotating guys out of the lineup every day.

• 4 weeks later...
1. We have been through this several times before, where Brady Skjei appears to be back on the track he established for himself during his rookie 2015-16 season. But No. 76?s reemergence since being reunited with a similarly evolving Jacob Trouba is one of the most encouraging signposts the Rangers have constructed through this phase of their development.

Skjei, one of the truly nice people in this game, seems more composed and less hurried, yet much quicker and more decisive at both ends of the ice. The prevailing wisdom is Skjei has put too much pressure on himself ? perhaps partially to justify management?s decision to reward him with a six-year, $31.5 million ($5.25 million AAV) contract before the start of last season, perhaps partially to attempt to fill the hole created by Ryan McDonagh?s trade to Tampa Bay ? and that has been his biggest hurdle to clear.

The Rangers have placed a great deal of faith in Skjei, just as they have in Trouba, who has yo-yoed through the early part of the season. That is likely understandable given his move here after spending the first six years of his career playing for one team (Winnipeg), a different system and one coach (Paul Maurice) since the middle of his 19-year-old rookie season in 2013-14. But the defenseman has played with heart since pulling on the Blueshirt and has an endearing and unpredictable edge.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/01/brady-skjeis-reemergence-igniting-rangers-surge/

High praise for Skjei from Brooks. Some deserved. Some not. I think the last few weeks we have seen Skjei make more "good plays" (carrying puck up ice with confidence and creating opportunity, making good passes when he rushes up ice), which is a great thing, but I still need to see him cut down on the "bad plays" (fumbling pucks, inexplicably whiffing on shots, passes off the mark) that he makes too frequently. We've always seen the glimpses of his skating and the rushes up ice he can make fairly effortlessly when he has the puck. To me, it will always be about limiting the bad plays when it comes to Skjei. If he can, he will be worth the contract that he got as a good 2nd pairing defender.