• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Brady Skjei That Bad?

Pete

He's a hot topic, so I looked at his stats. Not gonna post it all here, y'all are free to fact check me. Here's the low down:

The good

• Box Car stats put him right where Trouba is.
  • He's top 5 on the team in CF and relCF%.
  • He doesn't benefit from an insane oiSP% or PDO.

The bad

• High # of GVA + low # of TKA
  • High OZS%
  • Only plays around 19/gm compared to Trouba 23ish

I mean the bottom line is that he's the 2nd or 3rd best defender on the team, by the numbers, depending on how you view Fox.

He's probably a bit overpaid when you look across the league, but he's not nearly as bad as it's made out. Plus, he plays with ADA which isn't going to make anyone look good.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're probably right, he's not as bad as he's made out to be, but..

His gaffes are really bad. He can really fuck it up, when he fucks it up.

His contract is bad. Bad for the AAV, bad for the term and bad because there was no need to offer it.

Yeah, expectations by the overreaction of fans that saw a sick play he made in college. Bobby Orr, here we come !

I think it was more of how he/Brendan Smith played in the playoffs which led to the overpayment of both of them. They were the best defensemen in the playoffs, AV didn't trust them down the stretch, and the Rangers blew every game vs. the Senators in the last few minutes.

You're probably right, he's not as bad as he's made out to be, but..

His gaffes are really bad. He can really fuck it up, when he fucks it up.

His contract is bad. Bad for the AAV, bad for the term and bad because there was no need to offer it.

But for all the people who complain about Lias, and Kravtsov, whatever... Has this guy ever really been put in a position to succeed?

But for all the people who complain about Lias, and Kravtsov, whatever... Has this guy ever really been put in a position to succeed?

No he hasn’t.

I’ll maintain what I’ve previously said about his positioning being questionable too often, having bad instincts and making bad decisions with the puck.

That said, that contract and what it entails hasn’t helped and clearly it was premature

The team getting worse right around him getting that deal hasn’t helped

Him being thrust into a top pairing role that he wasn’t ready for hasn’t helped

All things considered, while I think he can get sorted out and find his game again, it’s been so long since he’s consistently been good, I don’t know how likely that is.

Like being paired with Trouba to start the year? Kind of, yeah. He stunk the joint up so bad that Quinn bailed after like one game.

Like being paired with Trouba to start the year? Kind of, yeah. He stunk the joint up so bad that Quinn bailed after like one game.
Yet his numbers are pretty much the same as Trouba.

I don't consider that pairing a recipe for success.

It's also not like Trouba has been very good either.