• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Seattle to Announce Team Name Before All-Star Game

LindG1000

My agency have been working on pitch concepts for months. I can confirm most of this list is under consideration, except for Kraken. Barring some last-minute life-saving change, that one died a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Rats, well there but for a shot in the dark go the Rain City Bitch Pigeons.

Also, fucking cool you guys are working on design.

At least different names are seriously being considered. Not like Vegas where it turned out to be what the owner wanted and if you don't like it too bad.

That's not exactly accurate. Vegas did a ton of research on naming and considered a slew of options like Desert Hawks, Red Hawks, Nighthawks, Sidewinders, etc. Foley — a West Point grad — simply favored the Black Knights name because he wanted to honor his alum.

“I liked Nighthawks, we had that name. I liked Desert Hawks. I kind of liked Sidewinders,” Foley told Nicholas J. Cotsonika of NHL.com. “But I wanted a name that was more team-oriented and being about the warrior class, which is what hockey players are.”

That's not exactly accurate. Vegas did a ton of research on naming and considered a slew of options like Desert Hawks, Red Hawks, Nighthawks, Sidewinders, etc. Foley — a West Point grad — simply favored the Black Knights name because he wanted to honor his alum.

He put up $500 million of his own money. There was no way he wasn't going to get what he wanted.

Rainiers would have been my pick based on the ties the city and state have to Mt. Rainier, but they already have a AAA baseball team with that name. The next closest has to be Sockeyes. There's appaeently an ultimate frisbee team with that name already too. Not sure if it can be bought or what. The Whales might make the 3rd most sense...but it sounds generic. They could use something more specific...Orcas/Killer Whales or something.

I don't really like any of the other names (aside from Kraken which Phil has already said is ruled out). Very generic or don't make much sense.

Rainiers would have been my pick based on the ties the city and state have to Mt. Rainier, but they already have a AAA baseball team with that name. The next closest has to be Sockeyes. There's appaeently an ultimate frisbee team with that name already too. Not sure if it can be bought or what. The Whales might make the 3rd most sense...but it sounds generic. They could use something more specific...Orcas/Killer Whales or something.

I don't really like any of the other names (aside from Kraken which Phil has already said is ruled out). Very generic or don't make much sense.

There's trepidation over anything orca-related due to the proximity to Vancouver. While "Canucks" aren't oceanic, their actual C logo features an orca.