• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Johnston: Rangers Have Shown "Persistent Interest" on Puljuj?rvi

Morphinity 2.0

It was great value at the time just to get a 1st + Lemieux, and we don't know what that 1st would have been if we kept it.

I’d say it was about average to good value. I’d have expected a low 1st rounder from a contender for a rental 6’5” center man in the midst of a career year. Though I’ll give you that getting Lemieux as an additional piece was a good job by Gorton

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, most of the trades done the last 2 years have been good. Atleast no bad trades. The Nash trade was good, Grabner trade, Hayes trade, moving up to take Miller is looking good, Strome for Spooner. A lot of solid trades and not really any bad. Worst may be ?only? getting two 2nds for Zuc, but that could easily been one 1st and a 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I?d say it was about average to good value. I?d have expected a low 1st rounder from a contender for a rental 6?5? center man in the midst of a career year. Though I?ll give you that getting Lemieux as an additional piece was a good job by Gorton

It definitely wasn't average in the context of the market at the deadline.

I think Duchene was the only other rental to fetch a 1st.

I?d say it was about average to good value. I?d have expected a low 1st rounder from a contender for a rental 6?5? center man in the midst of a career year. Though I?ll give you that getting Lemieux as an additional piece was a good job by Gorton

I agree in most part. If you look back at some of the other deals made last year, it appeared that it was a buyer's market meaning the returns weren't quite what we've seen in year's past. For Gorton to still get what we all thought was market value for Hayes in that market I'd have to say makes it a good trade. Calling it average is too low. (semantics I know but just adding my piece to the discussion!)

It definitely wasn't average in the context of the market at the deadline.

I think Duchene was the only other rental to fetch a 1st.

I agree in most part. If you look back at some of the other deals made last year, it appeared that it was a buyer's market meaning the returns weren't quite what we've seen in year's past. For Gorton to still get what we all thought was market value for Hayes in that market I'd have to say makes it a good trade. Calling it average is too low. (semantics I know but just adding my piece to the discussion!)

Ok

So then it’s at the “good” range of the spectrum that I placed it within.

Still not “great.”

JP at 17/18 years old on Karpat in SM-liiga: 13 g 15 a 28 p in 50 games

JP at 21 years old on the same team: 11 g 9 a 20 p in 18 games

I'm not sure why he wasn't producing in the NHL since I haven't watched him play that much, but it seems clear that he has progressed as a player in the last few years to be dominating the Finnish league now. I'd love to take a raincheck on him. Really just depends on cost.

He has been very unhappy with the Oilers. Sort of like the Lias Anderson situation where he was playin with some trees on the 4th.

A change of scenery would help. However I am not looking forward to giving up anyone that we cannot afford to lose anyway through UFA or RFA status.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

No kidding.

If Edmonton is looking for a ?we drafted this kid 4th overall 4 years ago and he?s a top-5 talent? type of return, they?re nuts.

Not only has he done nothing in the NHL, despite his talent and potential, but they?re not exactly dealing from a position of strength with any potential partner

Watch them beat this dog with a shovel instead of putting it down with one bullet

Edmonton has no cards in this one. They lose him for nothing or they get a return. I can see a 1 for 1 deal RFA for RFA like ADA or even a UFA like Kreider with a 2nd rounder. But Cap space is the largest issue for Edmonton when it comes to making the trade. They have under 33k in space to pull it off so they would need us to eat a contract in return....that's something that i dont agree with. The Rangers need two more years to get out of all these horrible contracts as well as dead space, why create more?

I say in a nutshell, pass, or maybe if a 3rd team steps in to help with eating some costs how and why make this happen?

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

Edmonton has no cards in this one. They lose him for nothing or they get a return. I can see a 1 for 1 deal RFA for RFA like ADA or even a UFA like Kreider with a 2nd rounder. But Cap space is the largest issue for Edmonton when it comes to making the trade. They have under 33k in space to pull it off so they would need us to eat a contract in return....that's something that i dont agree with. The Rangers need two more years to get out of all these horrible contracts as well as dead space, why create more?

I say in a nutshell, pass, or maybe if a 3rd team steps in to help with eating some costs how and why make this happen?

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

I'll actually give you a few reasons here:

1 - The Oilers don't really have "bad" contracts on their roster anymore. They have some middling questionables, and a few (Sam Gagner, Brandon Manning) that they're glad will end this year, but no bads.

2 - What you could see as "bad" contracts are as follows: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, expires 2021, 6m/year, Kris Russell, expires 2021, 4m/year. Both expire right as our bads do.

3 - Check next years UFA market. It's Hall, big drop, Tyson Barrie, Kreider, big drop, depth players. We're not in the market for either a PMD or a wing. We should be very, very quiet.

Long way of saying "I don't really care if we end up taking some cap relief from Edmonton because it shouldn't matter to us enough to block a trade"

I'll actually give you a few reasons here:

1 - The Oilers don't really have "bad" contracts on their roster anymore. They have some middling questionables, and a few (Sam Gagner, Brandon Manning) that they're glad will end this year, but no bads.

2 - What you could see as "bad" contracts are as follows: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, expires 2021, 6m/year, Kris Russell, expires 2021, 4m/year. Both expire right as our bads do.

3 - Check next years UFA market. It's Hall, big drop, Tyson Barrie, Kreider, big drop, depth players. We're not in the market for either a PMD or a wing. We should be very, very quiet.

Long way of saying "I don't really care if we end up taking some cap relief from Edmonton because it shouldn't matter to us enough to block a trade"

I didn't say Edmonton has "Bad" contracts, I said they have no cap space. They have under 34k is available space.

I'm not for or against the trade. I would like to see the Rangers pick him up but at what cost? That's the key.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

It's the same face he'd make watching Russell block three shots on one shift that he was solely reponsible for creating by turning the puck over. :rofl:

"Good god almighty — this guy's made of steel! Congrats, Kris — you're on the top pairing!"