• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Johnston: Rangers Have Shown "Persistent Interest" on Puljuj?rvi

Morphinity 2.0

“Jesse’s unwillingness to return has nothing to do with current coaches, management, the team, fans or the city,” Lehto wrote. “Like I have said multiple times, Jesse has just asked for a change of scenery and to get a fresh start somewhere else. Nothing wrong with that considering the past three seasons. It is very difficult for me to see that he would return there all of a sudden now…. If things don’t work out now with the right team and best possible fit, there is nothing wrong (with playing) the whole season in Europe.”

Chris Johnston reported last weekend that the Rangers are interested. It makes sense to consider pairing him with Kaapo Kakko.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-dustin-byfuglien-winnipeg-jets/

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edmonton has no cards in this one. They lose him for nothing or they get a return. I can see a 1 for 1 deal RFA for RFA like ADA or even a UFA like Kreider with a 2nd rounder. But Cap space is the largest issue for Edmonton when it comes to making the trade. They have under 33k in space to pull it off so they would need us to eat a contract in return....that's something that i dont agree with. The Rangers need two more years to get out of all these horrible contracts as well as dead space, why create more?

I say in a nutshell, pass, or maybe if a 3rd team steps in to help with eating some costs how and why make this happen?

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

I?m in agreement with you on them not having leverage with Puljujarvi. I?m saying they should find a fair deal and move him.

I disagree on the 3rd party and cap issue. It doesn?t have to include actual money if you?re moving a pick or prospect.

No one should have to eat salary or take a player they (Edmonton) want to move out to facilitate a trade.

Right now he?s just sitting there. No contract. Playing elsewhere. Made it clear he wants a fresh start in a new locale. He?s not coming back.

Don?t wait. What if he gets hurt? Then he has zero value. Already had double hip surgery.

Get an asset and pull the trigger.

Return is secondary at this point. For a few reasons

1) He hasn?t done enough to warrant a significant return, so they needn?t obsess over getting one.

2) He?s not coming back to them and doesn?t want to be there.

3) Its a distraction that the front office has to deal with and every time it comes up it makes them look incompetent and dysfunctional as an organization. Which they?ve been hearing for years. They should want that to stop

Just get him out of there.

I?m in agreement with you on them not having leverage with Puljujarvi. I?m saying they should find a fair deal and move him.

I disagree on the 3rd party and cap issue. It doesn?t have to include actual money if you?re moving a pick or prospect.

No one should have to eat salary or take a player they (Edmonton) want to move out to facilitate a trade.

Right now he?s just sitting there. No contract. Playing elsewhere. Made it clear he wants a fresh start in a new locale. He?s not coming back.

Don?t wait. What if he gets hurt? Then he has zero value. Already had double hip surgery.

Get an asset and pull the trigger.

Return is secondary at this point. For a few reasons

1) He hasn?t done enough to warrant a significant return, so they needn?t obsess over getting one.

2) He?s not coming back to them and doesn?t want to be there.

3) Its a distraction that the front office has to deal with and every time it comes up it makes them look incompetent and dysfunctional as an organization. Which they?ve been hearing for years. They should want that to stop

Just get him out of there.

Good point.

Reason I bought up Salary is that Edmonton cannot afford another player, pick yes, but they, according to cap friendly have 32.2k in space, that's not enough for the team to even add another player to their roster.

They need to shed salary and that's probably what they want in any trade for him.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

Good point.

Reason I bought up Salary is that Edmonton cannot afford another player, pick yes, but they, according to cap friendly have 32.2k in space, that's not enough for the team to even add another player to their roster.

They need to shed salary and that's probably what they want in any trade for him.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

Yes. After everyone comes off LTIR, they’ll have about $32K in space

If Edmonton wants to make the deal about or center it more around another piece going the other way along with Puljujarvi, I get that and I see why. But then the return very likely becomes less.

Going to be hard for them to do both of a) getting a return for Puljujarvi that they like and, b) shedding salary.

If they want to throw in another asset, then they can possibly pull that off

I’ll say what I said before the draft last year. Their 1st round pick has more value in a trade than it does to actually making the selection . They need right now help. I don’t think Puljujarvi brings that back for them. But their 1st would.

It really would have last year.

I didn't say Edmonton has "Bad" contracts, I said they have no cap space. They have under 34k is available space.

I'm not for or against the trade. I would like to see the Rangers pick him up but at what cost? That's the key.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

Right - the point behind the point here is that Edmonton's bad cap or movable cap doesn't really hurt us in any way if we need to leverage that. We can take on a contract Edmonton doesn't want and it's not really any skin off our backs.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't find a verified tweet, and I don't listen to TSN1040, but a few accounts have posted the following information:

Rick Dhaliwal on TSN1040 said a Puljujarvi to the Rangers trade nearly happened a few weeks ago but fell through. Ken Holland asking for a lot. Doesn't think he'll be moved before tomorrow's deadline.

9. Before the Dec. 1 signing deadline, word is the Oilers re-engaged some of the clubs who had shown previous interest in Jesse Puljujarvi. That includes the Rangers, St. Louis and Tampa Bay. I believe they discussed Lias Andersson with New York, and think Puljujarvi wanted to go there, but things couldn?t close.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-code-conduct-coming-nhl/

Elliotte Friedman?s 31 thoughts dated December 4th had this:

9. Before the Dec. 1 signing deadline, word is the Oilers re-engaged some of the clubs who had shown previous interest in Jesse Puljujarvi. That includes the Rangers, St. Louis and Tampa Bay. I believe they discussed Lias Andersson with New York, and think Puljujarvi wanted to go there, but things couldn?t close.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk