• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Athletic: This isn?t the End for Marc Staal as a Ranger, but it?s Coming

Phil

GREENBURGH, N.Y. ? Two things to be very clear about the Marc Staal situation, in which he was scratched for the first time in his 13-year Rangers career on Tuesday and will be held out again Saturday in Nashville:

One, he is not going to be permanently scratched just because the young players are here in numbers, especially a pair of 21-year-olds on the left side, which Staal has played his entire career.

Two, this is the beginning of the end for the 32-year-old Staal, which is more likely to arrive next summer and almost certainly before next season begins.

Oh, one more:

Staal, a career-long Ranger, knows this as well as the team does.

?Yeah, obviously I was upset,? Staal said after practice Friday, the first time he?s spoken publicly since coach David Quinn gave him the news Tuesday morning.

?Pretty frustrated. But, you know, obviously at this point you want to be in the lineup, you want to play. I want to get that next opportunity so I can make the most of it.?

The situation?s reality is that Skjei, Hajek and Lindgren should all be on the team next season, not to mention the possible arrival of first-rounder K?Andre Miller or top prospect Yegor Rukov (currently injured in Hartford) ? among the truckload of lefty defensemen the Rangers have in the pipeline. There won?t be room for Staal, who has this year and next remaining on his contract, with a $5.7 million annual cap hit.

So the last 72 games here, if he lasts that long, are all he has left.

The Rangers could try to trade him ? which would require him waiving his no-trade clause and the Rangers eating some salary. And make no mistake, he can still play in a lesser role on a better team.

Such a move, however, may not come until over the summer, and it could include the Rangers taking back a bad contract at another position.

If the Rangers go the buyout route next June, they?ll be stuck with a $3.5667 million dead cap-space hit in 2020-21 and $1.067 million in ?21-22 (per CapFriendly.com).

https://theathletic.com/1344163/2019/11/01/carpiniello-this-isnt-the-end-for-marc-staal-as-a-ranger-but-its-coming/?source=shared-article

Wouldn't be shocked to see him retire after this contract.

But fact is he controls his destiny and Quinn doesn't have the leash to make him a $6 million scratch all season.

Perhaps if he sees the writing on the wall and doesn’t want to move his family and play elsewhere then he retires after this season?

He’d be an ideal 3rd pair guy, but the league is changing. They are desperate for offensive dman. High risk high reward guys. He’s a guy you hate playing against, even though he’s not a huge hitter, speedster, “angry”, etc. just a solid, annoying defender.

These are the guys you need for playoffs. Someone that’s always there. Anytime you turn around, you got this 6’4, 210lb defender in your way, playing fundamental hockey. It’s annoying to play against.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be shocked to see him retire after this contract.

But fact is he controls his destiny and Quinn doesn't have the leash to make him a $6 million scratch all season.

They’ll probably come up with some bullshit medical reason.

Cap forces these older guys in depth roles out of the league.

If they're going to buy another D man out, it should be Skjei, not that they should.

They buy so many out its probably just an internal form at this point. Doubt they even have to submit the receipt to finance.

No way. He's our expansion draft bait.

Can't see why he would retire and leave the money on the table, but yeah at this point in time it appears it might not end well. It's still way early and things can change quickly, I don't think they should write him completely off yet. Good dude I hope he picks up his play when he gets another chance. Not his fault he's another example of a player getting a long deal when the last couple/few years are a disaster for the team. #SeattleSkjei

No way. He's our expansion draft bait.

That's a good point, I think I said that'll be the most value they get out of Skjei is the ability to expose him.

Would be nice if Hank allowed them to, as well. That would be really awesome, actually.

I dunno, he's brutal, but a good stretch and rising cap could fix that possibly.

I think he desperately needs a good coach. They still have him thinking he’s an offensive guy.

Regardless, partial NMC - probably not eligible for expansion draft.

Can't see why he would retire and leave the money on the table, but yeah at this point in time it appears it might not end well. It's still way early and things can change quickly, I don't think they should write him completely off yet. Good dude I hope he picks up his play when he gets another chance. Not his fault he's another example of a player getting a long deal when the last couple/few years are a disaster for the team. #SeattleSkjei

Roughly $50 million in career earnings to date.

That buys a whole lot of sod to farm in Thunder Bay

His contract is over before the expansion draft. They will try to get him to agree to a trade with retention, and barring that, he will be bought out. Healthy scratches should give them some leverage to accept a trade, but retention would probably not be enough, and who wants to trade him if it means taking an equally bad contract? Most likely result is various scratches followed by buy out. The amount he's paid in the buyout plus the amount paid to his young replacement will come out to about the same as keeping him, capwise.