• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Enlist Fellow Finn, Tuomo Ruutu to Boost Kaapo Kakko?s Spirits

Phil

When the Rangers observed that Kaapo Kakko was feeling a bit down and perhaps lonely living life as an 18-year-old in a foreign land while attempting to adapt to the best hockey league in the world, the hierarchy did something about it.

The Blueshirts, The Post has learned, summoned development coach Tuomo Ruutu from his native Finland to New York so he could spend time with his fellow countryman. Ruutu, a 12-year NHL veteran who retired following 2015-16, spent five days last week with the second-overall draft pick. He had been monitoring and interacting with drafted prospects playing in Europe.

Probably not coincidentally, Kakko played his most effective game of his 10-game career in Tuesday?s 4-1 Garden victory over the Lightning, while recording his second goal to boot.

?I think [Ruutu] being here was a very good thing for me,? Kakko told The Post following Thursday?s spirited practice. ?We talked about a lot of things, about hockey and about life outside hockey.

?It was good for me to be able to [have conversations] with someone in my own language.?

https://nypost.com/2019/10/31/rangers-enlist-fellow-finn-to-boost-kaapo-kakkos-spirits/

Ruutu... Wasn't good.

But I guess they have similar experiences in term of expectations.

It’s not about being good. He’s not telling him how to stick handle. He’s talking to him about life.

I honestly wish Kaapos family would have made the jump but I know that’s a hard thing to do for most.

It?s not about being good. He?s not telling him how to stick handle. He?s talking to him about life.

I honestly wish Kaapos family would have made the jump but I know that?s a hard thing to do for most.

It?s not about being good. He?s not telling him how to stick handle. He?s talking to him about life.

Thanks, I understand the purpose.

Does that mean I can't comment on an underwhelming career lol?

out of curiousity, I looked up his Hockeydb page. He only made the playoffs once in his career (ECF With Carolina in '09) which is odd

still, anyone who can grind out 12 years in the show deserves the credit for it and has a lot of experience to pass down. That's why I'm such a fan of having guys like Ortmeyer and Glass in the organization. A skill player that can have the same attitude as these guys, who did whatever it took to keep playing pro, can really make a huge difference.

Good move on the Rangers part...Wow, Kakko must have been feeling like a little kid who's ball just rolled down the sewer!

At least now he's got a wingman for Friday nights....I figure Kakko gets a chick and gets laid a few times, the confidence will be there! ...should clear up some of that acne as well!! :rofl:

Fuckin' kids today!! LOL

(I feel like that "You kids get off my lawn" guy in the neighborhood!")

out of curiousity, I looked up his Hockeydb page. He only made the playoffs once in his career (ECF With Carolina in '09) which is odd

still, anyone who can grind out 12 years in the show deserves the credit for it and has a lot of experience to pass down. That's why I'm such a fan of having guys like Ortmeyer and Glass in the organization. A skill player that can have the same attitude as these guys, who did whatever it took to keep playing pro, can really make a huge difference.

I guess what I'm doing a bad job of is making a sarcastic remark about a player who had a ton of promise and never really panning out...."mentoring" Kakko is concerning. But,. it was sarcasm.

lets go take him out and get him laid... :p

You'll have to be his wing man, Slobby!! I couldn't get laid in whorehouse with a fistful of fifties, and a pocket full of diamonds!!! :rofl:

Have you seen that kid? He doesn't need any help getting laid. He's a man rocket.