• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Strome, DeAngelo are Producing Their Way Out of New York?

Phil

I'm not sure what choice he has for the next couple of years. It would either be bridge deal, 1 year arbitration deal, or hold out and don't play?

Let's forget the age for a second and focus on less than 2 full seasons worth of NHL games. It takes time for some to learn the position at this level.

That’s fair

Remember though he had essentially no choice this summer and held out.

And if you want to look at it with age aside and focus on him having less than 2 full seasons of experience, then we can also reason that he hasn’t played more and has been traded twice and had to start over again has in part been due to his attitude. If he had a better one, it’s likely he’d have stuck more, both with organizations and in an NHL lineup and maybe he’d be up around 200+ games

Cause it’s not due to lack of ability

Every day there?s a reason to trade guys. They?ll be rebuilding for 12 years. They don?t even know what they have in Kakko yet, and he was crazy hyped #2 pick. You need more than 4 guys that can play consistently and produce.

This is true. But the team isn't set. There are still players who are expected to make a push for the roster next year. If Tony puts up 60 points, they'll likely have to keep him. But they're crazy deep on defense and Tony is probably the worst defensive player in the back 6. I think Fox will eventually be the better all around player and put up similar points. If they sign DeAngelo, it should be for 2 years and not 7.

Tony D is a developed first round pick D man. We all know D take longer to develop. Why would we trade him if he fills an important role on this team with the mentality that an unknown will develop into a more complete player? Thats a roll of the dice I'm not willing to take. No one is asking him to be deployed in a shut down role. Like any other position, use him in a role where he can succeed, put up 60 points and finish with a plus rating...... Kind of unfathomable to think this is even a discussion. 60 points as a D man would put him in elitish company in this league. Keep him until another proves they can fill that role. Ball is in his court though; let's see how he does this year.

I think we are looking at the same predicament the Jets had when they had Byfuglien, Myers and a Trouba all right handed d-men. Because their left side wasn?t as good Trouba was forced to play the off side in order to get extra ice time.

I think we may need to do the same and move D?Angelo to the left side to get him more minutes, that plus Staal and Skjei are playing pretty s***y so far.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
16. The Rangers sent out a tweet from their “Stats & Info” account that got me thinking. They referenced Tony DeAngelo, and the fact he’s got 30 points in his last 41 games — including 14 so far in 2019-20. He was a nomad, three organizations in his first three seasons, and the Rangers have done an excellent job with him. It will be interesting to see where this goes. DeAngelo did not sign until Sept. 20, despite not having much leverage. This summer, however, he will have arbitration rights and these numbers are going to look nice.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-toronto-maple-leafs-not-sweating-goaltending-situation/