• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Strome, DeAngelo are Producing Their Way Out of New York?

Phil

2. The more points Tony DeAngelo and Ryan Strome put on the board, the more likely the two pending restricted free agents with salary arbitration rights will price themselves out of New York next season.

The Rangers, no different from approximately two-thirds of the teams in the NHL, are going to be up against it next season, especially if the salary cap increase is limited to the same 2.5 percent it was last summer.

DeAngelo, who maintains only a casual acquaintance with the defensive zone while being a dynamic attacker, has recorded eight points (4-4) in 10 games. If the 24-year-old finished with a 60-point season, which should be well within reach if No. 77 maintains his spot on the first power-play unit, he is likely looking at a two-year deal in the range of $4 million to $4.5 million per, given available comparables at capfriendly.com. Would the Rangers pay that?

Strome has 10 points (3-7) in a primary role in the middle that will necessarily change when Mika Zibanejad, out with an upper-body injury, returns. If the 26-year-old Strome registers around 60 points, which could be a challenge if he loses top-six time, then he is likely looking at $4.5 million to $5 million on a one-year deal leading to 2022 unrestricted free agency. Would the Rangers pay that?

https://nypost.com/2019/10/30/david-quinns-painful-rangers-decisions-are-far-from-over/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

I have absolutely no problem moving either one of them for draft picks. They can also rename that article: "Strome, DeAngelo are Producing Their Way into higher draft picks for 2020"

Let's see where we are come the deadline, and I think it will be a lot clearer as to what to do with these guys.

Why would we trade a 66 point defenseman? Until someone lives up to that potential on this roster, I WOULD NOT trade DeAngelo.... Strome could go if the offer is good enough. We have enough middle six plugs for that hole.

Because he can't play defense. That's why I'd trade him. With Fox and Miller soon in the mix, DeAngelo will have better players filling his role.

Every day there’s a reason to trade guys. They’ll be rebuilding for 12 years. They don’t even know what they have in Kakko yet, and he was crazy hyped #2 pick. You need more than 4 guys that can play consistently and produce.

There is no reason to trade these guys except the cap crisis at the end of the year. I definitely would take a wait and see approach for a couple of months here until we get a clearer picture of just how tight the cap situation is going to be (ie, very tight or downright vise-like). I agree, keep on trading good players as soon as they mature and are due for a raise is a recipe for a perpetual rebuild.

Uncle Larry's points about the goalie situation in the same article are probably more concerning than Strome and DeAngelo.

Love his offensive production and his ability on the PP.

But he’s a total liability in his own end. He’s awful without the puck. He’s got a history of being a cunt with a bad attitude. He’s with his 3rd organization in 5 years. And he didn’t sign his tender until camp started this year, for reasons that basically don’t exist.

Realistically, he’ll probably always produce to a high level offensively, but he’ll always have to be deployed very specifically, while being heavily sheltered, which limits his minutes, utility, and to a certain extent, his value.

They can move on next summer

I’m cool with the right side being Trouba-Fox-Lundqvist

He wasn't this bad in his own end last year. He was pretty bad, but his outlets were sublime and he ended up a plus player (+6) on a team with an awful goal differential, to lead the team in +/-. Probably due to some careful usage from Quinn, but it shows it can be done.

The problem I have with trading DeAngelo is that 1) he is only 24, and 2) if he progresses defensively he's probably a top pairing, 60-70 point defenseman. You don't trade those. He really would just need a steady stay at home partner (no homo).

Like CCCP said, defense and positioning can be taught and learned. It can take quite a bit of time. What can't be taught is DeAngelo's pure offensive talent. I wasn't, and still am not, ready to commit long term, but he's a guy I'd want to keep around on a bridge deal to see what happens. If he hits his potential, I'd have no problems paying up at that point.

The problem I have with trading DeAngelo is that 1) he is only 24, and 2) if he progresses defensively he's probably a top pairing, 60-70 point defenseman. You don't trade those. He really would just need a steady stay at home partner (no homo).

Like CCCP said, defense and positioning can be taught and learned. It can take quite a bit of time. What can't be taught is DeAngelo's pure offensive talent. I wasn't, and still am not, ready to commit long term, but he's a guy I'd want to keep around on a bridge deal to see what happens. If he hits his potential, I'd have no problems paying up at that point.

I’m not optimistic that he’d settle for signing a bridge deal given that he’s been an asshole consistently and he held out last summer for no reason and with no leverage.

And “only” doesn’t work at 24. He’s not 19. He’s 24. Be a man.

I’m not optimistic that he’d settle for signing a bridge deal given that he’s been an asshole consistently and he held out last summer for no reason and with no leverage.

And “only” doesn’t work at 24. He’s not 19. He’s 24. Be a man.

I'm not sure what choice he has for the next couple of years. It would either be bridge deal, 1 year arbitration deal, or hold out and don't play?

Let's forget the age for a second and focus on less than 2 full seasons worth of NHL games. It takes time for some to learn the position at this level.

I like DeAngelo but my problem with him is he'll never be able to take a heavy foward out from the front of the net, like a Trouba. And again because of size, he pops the puck out behind the net from a heavy forecheck. He may be able to learn defense but physically he'll always be behind the 8 ball.

To answer the earlier question: Miller is lefty?LHD. But I agree with what was said earlier with Trouba, Fox as our top 2 right side defenseman why pay our 3rd pair defenseman. Especially one who held out and has a history of attitude issues big money. I would much rather go with Lundkvist as well. Save that money.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk