• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NYR Needs (Let's be Honest and Realistic)

nyckrash

What do you think that the team need to make the repairs that they so dramatically need right now.

I'll start....

The team needs a strong LD that can shut down the opposing offense and make decent passes out of the zone or to the RD who can. Not sure who fits that role currently in the organization or outside in the League that's available.

The team needs a 2C, someone who can play a good two way game and can fill in for the 1C in the event of injuries. We have an abundance of Centers right now but nobody has been able to step up.

The team needs to drastically improve on the defensive system.

The team needs to return to focusing on developing the youth in the organization as well as on the current roster.

The team has some good bargaining chips, Kreider and DeAngelo to name a few. If we were to get a decent return I'd be open to trading just about anyone on the roster aside from a select group who makes up the core if the return was of equal value to fit our needs.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

The team needs to let the season play out. Let these kids develop or not. I really don?t know if anybody knows what they have yet. Yes though they need a center and maybe some defense. The defense may already be in the system where the centers are probably not.
https://bnc.lt/IvMg/ADU7GN2ib1

The media is already starting the witch hunt.

I agree with letting the year go by, however there are some major issues with the current team that needs to be addressed.

They aren't even competing most nights. Last year they hustled and made an effort in every game. There were over 25 one goal games that they could have won. I just dont see it happening this year.

Unfortunately, for the first time in the 40+ years I've been watching this team, this is the most painful to watch by far.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

https://bnc.lt/IvMg/ADU7GN2ib1

The media is already starting the witch hunt.

I agree with letting the year go by, however there are some major issues with the current team that needs to be addressed.

They aren't even competing most nights. Last year they hustled and made an effort in every game. There were over 25 one goal games that they could have won. I just dont see it happening this year.

Unfortunately, for the first time in the 40+ years I've been watching this team, this is the most painful to watch by far.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

I don't consider bloggers "the media".

I don't consider bloggers "the media".
Publications are publications regardless of where they are from. It's the same thing as Brooks, he just publishes for a better known paper. In the end it's still just a writer's opinion.

I'm not saying that I agree with the writer, however he does make a good point regarding this defensive system that is in place.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

Publications are publications regardless of where they are from. It's the same thing as Brooks, he just publishes for a better known paper. In the end it's still just a writer's opinion.

I'm not saying that I agree with the writer, however he does make a good point regarding this defensive system that is in place.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

Agree to disagree, but yea... The team looks confused.

They're either unable or unwilling to execute. They have to figure which one it is.

The team looks lost most nights.

Agree to disagree, but yea... The team looks confused.

They're either unable or unwilling to execute. They have to figure which one it is.

I'm not in a win now mind set, nor have I been since the yard sale started. However, I was happy to watch last year, excited in fact.

Not so much this year. I feel like the team doesn't have much of a competitive agenda. They need to figure things out.

I like DQ, always have but in the end its easier to replace a coach than a whole roster. We have seen it with Torts, AV and that's just in the last decade +.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

there young and think they are all skill. they have not yet grown to understand what it takes to pay the price in this league to have success, i.e., going to the dirty areas of the ice and the sacrifice it sometimes takes to make a play.

makes sense to that regard why mckegg, haley and smith get ice time up front i guess in the hopes to show the youth the right way to play. not sure i agree with this inpart that these vets are journeymen and not cagey vets that have been through the war and had success.

end of the day its what we have to work with though.

The team looks lost most nights.I'm not in a win now mind set, nor have I been since the yard sale started. However, I was happy to watch last year, excited in fact.

Not so much this year. I feel like the team doesn't have much of a competitive agenda. They need to figure things out.

I like DQ, always have but in the end its easier to replace a coach than a whole roster. We have seen it with Torts, AV and that's just in the last decade +.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

I'm just not sure why you're comparing Torts and AV to Quinn. The situation is 180 degrees different. What does the team need? It needs an 18 year old player to play 3-4 years in the NHL. It needs a 19 year old center to gain his confidence back. It needs the 2nd youngest roster in the NHL to grow up. It needs time.

You know what else it needs? It needs the fans to understand what a rebuild is. Last year they iced a roster to lose. This year, they're trying to win. The outcome may still be the same, but to say this is the worst team you've watched in +40 years simply cannot be true. We sat through 7 years of hell not that long ago. At least we know the plan for this team.

It's frustrating to watch them lose only when you pit it against your own expectations. Adjust your expectations and watch the games with the understanding that they're learning.

• Like 2

I'm just not sure why you're comparing Torts and AV to Quinn. The situation is 180 degrees different. What does the team need? It needs an 18 year old player to play 3-4 years in the NHL. It needs a 19 year old center to gain his confidence back. It needs the 2nd youngest roster in the NHL to grow up. It needs time.

You know what else it needs? It needs the fans to understand what a rebuild is. Last year they iced a roster to lose. This year, they're trying to win. The outcome may still be the same, but to say this is the worst team you've watched in +40 years simply cannot be true. We sat through 7 years of hell not that long ago. At least we know the plan for this team.

It's frustrating to watch them lose only when you pit it against your own expectations. Adjust your expectations and watch the games with the understanding that they're learning.

I agree. People got way to excited over what happened this offseason. Nice pieces were added but they were added to a skeleton roster. The pain you speak of realistically lasts 4-5 years minimum. Nobody blows it up and contends 2-3 years later. Closest thing was Boston but and a big but they still had Bergeron, chara, Marchand, krejci, rask, etc to build around. We don’t have that. We are in a total rebuild. Those take time. The rangers can add two big pieces which is great but the rest of the roster is either garbage or can’t drink yet. Kids growing up and the garbage running it’s course takes time.

I agree. People got way to excited over what happened this offseason. Nice pieces were added but they were added to a skeleton roster. The pain you speak of realistically lasts 4-5 years minimum. Nobody blows it up and contends 2-3 years later. Closest thing was Boston but and a big but they still had Bergeron, chara, Marchand, krejci, rask, etc to build around. We don’t have that. We are in a total rebuild. Those take time. The rangers can add two big pieces which is great but the rest of the roster is either garbage or can’t drink yet. Kids growing up and the garbage running it’s course takes time.

pretty depressing, isn't it? next time the rangers really compete for the cup i'll be like 50

They’re more or less in the 3rd year/season of the rebuild and those things typically take 3-5 seasons of sucking before you start to really see results on the ice.

The teams that have had sustained success over last 15 years (since 04-05 lockout and Cap-era NHL) have all gone through more or less that. And they’ve all hit on multiple high picks in the draft which is a direct result of suckitude.

Hopefully they don’t lose so much and so badly so frequently to where it harms development of what they’re trying to build and instill in the younger guys, but there’s plenty of losses still coming

Another high pick won’t kill them though

They’re more or less in the 3rd year/season of the rebuild and those things typically take 3-5 seasons of sucking before you start to really see results on the ice.

The teams that have had sustained success over last 15 years (since 04-05 lockout and Cap-era NHL) have all gone through more or less that. And they’ve all hit on multiple high picks in the draft which is a direct result of suckitude.

Hopefully they don’t lose so much and so badly so frequently to where it harms development of what they’re trying to build and instill in the younger guys, but there’s plenty of losses still coming

Another high pick won’t kill them though

Yeah but the first year of two was just getting back to even because unlike every other team the rangers had literally no prospects. Now they have them but they’re babies.

Lol.

By and large, I think the defensemen are fine, including Miller and Lundkvist. But I don't think it matters if they don't add a bunch more forwards.

Hey Future...can we pull Sergei Nemchinov out of retirement for a real 2nd line center??? ;)

That and a lot of defensemen and a goalie to step way up to fill Hank's skates.

im not so sure its a good idea to replace hank with Shesty while Harlequinn is heading the bench. with so many shots against every game and the losing, Shesty's confidence would be shattered

Yeah but the first year of two was just getting back to even because unlike every other team the rangers had literally no prospects. Now they have them but they’re babies.

True.

But I’ll disagree with the “most teams” end of it.

When any team starts a rebuild, they are bereft of young talent and prospects and saddled with older, high-priced, declining talent. Hence the need for a rebuild.

No team has ever traded their first four straight years while playing with a salary cap.

That hurt them for sure. Not arguing or disagreeing with them having an empty cupboard

Just saying that an empty or nearly empty cupboard is the case for just about every team at the outset of the rebuild

Given the roster turnover, disappointing but not surprising slow start to season. We need a larger sample size to get more information:

Is Quinn the right coach to develop young talent, team chemistry, and get players to play to their potential?

Is Georgiev the heir apparent to Lundqvist, or a place holder?

Do we have the right players for 3 effective defensive pairing? Do we need better play from existing players or different players?

Do we have enough talent in the top 6 forwards? How can we get more talent?

Do we have an energy and/or physically punishing fourth line?

Do we have players willing to take punishment in front of the net for screens/tips, especially on the powerplay?

What is our team identity (i.e. speed/skill/defense first/shot blocking etc)? Do we have the right players for the team identity?