• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Official "How Many Time Lias Anderson Gets Tossed from the Face-Off Circle" Thread

Ozzy

For those of you like me out there that watch for stuff like this...

I can't believe how many times this guy gets bounced from the dot!!! I counted 6 times last night against Boston, and at least 6 against Buffalo. I'm wondering if there is a stat for this on some hockey site...Josh, Phil or Pete probably knows it.

His win/loss percentage isn't too wonderful either from my point of view. The face off's he's actually taken (albeit not a lot), he's lost a heap.

Now to preface this I wanna just say that I am not a Lias Anderson hater. I like the kid, and I appreciate the work he's put into the off-season in getting his shit together for this year's campaign...BUT HOLY SHIT MAN!!

This guy gets bounced more times than that drunk from the local bar. Can't the Rangers get MacTavish or even Messier in here to show this kid how to win a draw??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What most amuses me is that somehow, being chucked from the faceoff isn't a tracked stat.

I can't help but notice it every game. It's like automatic for this kid...just lean in, take a swipe, and watch the linesman boot him!! What the fuck!!! LOL

Getting tossed a lot and losing 55-60% of faceoffs or even more is a hugely common thing amongst young centermen. Even McDavid was 42% win rate on faceoffs through his first 3 seasons over 2200 faceoffs taken in that span. He didn’t even top 45% until last season and is only above 50% through the first stretch of this season.

Crosby was below 50% his first 2 seasons. Tavares took a little bit to improve.

Some guys are just good at it right away- Toews and Matthews come to mind.

Others need to just take them and kind of lose to learn how to win.

But plenty of guys eventually improve.

I noticed a lot during the pre-season, as it seemed to be every Rangers center getting tossed. Andersson continued during the first few games, but I havent noticed as much, recently. I did miss yesterdays game, though.

Maybe they need to bring in Randy Gilhen or Yanic Perrault to work with these guys

It's probably got something to do with him trying to cheat a little and the linesman not giving him the benefit of the doubt since he's a young guy. I think all the best center's cheat a bit...including Giroux

Lindros was great and cheated a ton, by his own admission. But the linesmen let guys get away with way more back then.

There's a lot of things going wrong right now. Bigger fish to fry. This isn't really a thing to be keeping track of.

Oh absolutely 3-1...I just find it fascinating that he has mastered the art of getting tossed. I watch for it now every draw. ;)

I found some faceoff stats, but none for getting tossed. http://puckbase.com/stats/faceoff-percentage?team=NYR

What I find amazing is that Lias has been tossed so many times, that his total is WAY below even Howden....Lias has 40 total draws taken at this point!! Good Christ!! I had more shots of Jagermeister over the weekend than that!!!

To be fair, Lias gets 6-10 minutes per game of 5v5 and PK time. Howden gets 13-17 minutes of 5v5, PP, and PK. If you get more minutes and situations you'll get more faceoffs.

To be fair, Lias gets 6-10 minutes per game of 5v5 and PK time. Howden gets 13-17 minutes of 5v5, PP, and PK. If you get more minutes and situations you'll get more faceoffs.

It's such a drastic difference though, Drew! I figure if he gets tossed 6 times a game X 9 games, it's an extra 54 faceoffs to equal 94...much better than 40! :rofl:

It should be a drinking game at this point.

Sharpy!! That's a GREAT idea!!!!! ...I'll play it tonight and let you know if I ring the bell on the breath-a-lyzer!! LOL

It's such a drastic difference though, Drew! I figure if he gets tossed 6 times a game X 9 games, it's an extra 54 faceoffs to equal 94...much better than 40! :rofl:

It's definitely nowhere near that many considering that McKegg has only taken seven faceoffs, and Haley five. None of the other wingers that have taken faceoffs have been regulars on the fourth line. It probably just seems like he gets tossed more than he does. He doesn't take faceoffs shorthanded, Zib does.

It's definitely nowhere near that many considering that McKegg has only taken seven faceoffs, and Haley five. None of the other wingers that have taken faceoffs have been regulars on the fourth line. It probably just seems like he gets tossed more than he does. He doesn't take faceoffs shorthanded, Zib does.

That's true, but it just seems awfully low for a guy that's played 9 games. His time has been pretty limited though. I think he's going to be a solid player and he's made some good strides from last season physically. I just find it hysterical that everytime I see him get in the faceoff circle, he's given the gate faster than a fat chick at a Weight Watchers meeting. ;)