• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Official "How Many Time Lias Anderson Gets Tossed from the Face-Off Circle" Thread

Ozzy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of faceoffs though, I recall Howden losing a few key faceoffs last night including a clean loss on the 5 on 3 that resulted in a goal shortly afterwards. I wonder how long Howden gets a pass for poor play.

He just played two pretty good games. I know it's popular to shit on Howden for some reason but he hasn't been bad.

He just played two pretty good games. I know it's popular to shit on Howden for some reason but he hasn't been bad.

It's not shitting on Howden to shit on Howden. I hope he develops into a nice player. He just simply hasn't earned his keep or ice time to this point. You'd have a tough time digging up numbers to support otherwise.

Howden was playing banged up a little last night...I'm giving him a pass on that one..

Matter of fact...fuck last game! it's like puking on Jack Daniels...just let it go and start over next Friday! :rofl:

But I only saw Lias take 2 draws...man, I gotta watch closer.

It's not shitting on Howden to shit on Howden. I hope he develops into a nice player. He just simply hasn't earned his keep or ice time to this point. You'd have a tough time digging up numbers to support otherwise.

No I wouldn’t. Compare his to Andersson. His only competition.

The difference between Andersson and Howden is that good or bad, you know Howden played in the game.

Andersson might as well not have been dressed outside the first two games of the year.

The thing is, if you reverse them, you still notice Howden doing good things during games.

Andersson is a number 7 overall, he should really be beyond linemates. He should at least stand out against other fourth liners, and he just doesn't. He should be showing that he's better than a fourth-line role, and he isn't doing it.

The difference between Andersson and Howden is that good or bad, you know Howden played in the game.

Andersson might as well not have been dressed outside the first two games of the year.

The thing is, if you reverse them, you still notice Howden doing good things during games.

Andersson is a number 7 overall, he should really be beyond linemates. He should at least stand out against other fourth liners, and he just doesn't. He should be showing that he's better than a fourth-line role, and he isn't doing it.

That's pure conjecture since reversing them hasn't happened. I think some, like Quinn, unfortunately seem to have a vision of Howden burned into their heads from games 1 through 15 last season like it was yesterday, all the while ignoring the 60-70 games of total non-production in between. And again, Andersson doesn't have much to do with Howden getting a pass. He's not the only guy that can claim the spot or could have claimed the spot. They traded one of them to Ottawa for example.

That's pure conjecture since reversing them hasn't happened. I think some, like Quinn, unfortunately seem to have a vision of Howden burned into their heads from games 1 through 15 last season like it was yesterday, all the while ignoring the 60-70 games of total non-production in between. And again, Andersson doesn't have much to do with Howden getting a pass. He's not the only guy that can claim the spot or could have claimed the spot. They traded one of them to Ottawa for example.

Not really conjecture since Howden was a 4C at times last year.

Rangers Twitter loves to talk about how Quinn has different rules for Howden and Andersson but never bother to acknowledge there just might be a reason for that.

I don't see how you can point to Howden's "non production" and completely ignore Lias inability to even get noticed during a game. The kid is just going through the motions.

Not really conjecture since Howden was a 4C at times last year.

Rangers Twitter loves to talk about how Quinn has different rules for Howden and Andersson but never bother to acknowledge there just might be a reason for that.

I don't see how you can point to Howden's "non production" and completely ignore Lias inability to even get noticed during a game. The kid is just going through the motions.

The reason, quite obviously, is that DQ (and quite likely JD & Gorton, since at least part of these decisions are organizational) likes players who've got their motor running at all times, and are -as you say- visible. Engaged, I guess is the word. It's based purely on the eye test and perception. Not saying it's wrong.

However there is, to my knowledge, no metric available that suggests what Howden is doing is particularly effective. Quite the opposite, in most categories. Defense in particular.

In my opinion, there is no real reason Howden should be stapled to that 3c role. There is no real reason not to give Andersson a run there to see what he can do. He might fail, but at least you've had a look at it. It's difficult to see how Andersson is going to develop in his current role. Personally, I'd rather have him in Hartford.

The reason, quite obviously, is that DQ (and quite likely JD & Gorton, since at least part of these decisions are organizational) likes players who've got their motor running at all times, and are -as you say- visible. Engaged, I guess is the word. It's based purely on the eye test and perception. Not saying it's wrong.

However there is, to my knowledge, no metric available that suggests what Howden is doing is particularly effective. Quite the opposite, in most categories. Defense in particular.

In my opinion, there is no real reason Howden should be stapled to that 3c role. There is no real reason not to give Andersson a run there to see what he can do. He might fail, but at least you've had a look at it. It's difficult to see how Andersson is going to develop in his current role. Personally, I'd rather have him in Hartford.

I'd like someone to make the argument that Andersson has done anything to deserve a bump, rather than making the argument that Howden deserves a demotion.

If Andersson moves up the lineup by virtue of other players being bad, it doesn't really say great things about Andersson.

I'd like someone to make the argument that Andersson has done anything to deserve a bump, rather than making the argument that Howden deserves a demotion.

If Andersson moves up the lineup by virtue of other players being bad, it doesn't really say great things about Andersson.

This seems to be a Quinn thing, not an Andersson thing

This seems to be a Quinn thing, not an Andersson thing
Let's say that were the case, when two players seem equally inept, and one is being played more than the other, I'm sure the reason why has been communicated to both players.

I would question if the player is receiving the message and capable of doing something about it.

Just seems these guys are going to progress at different speeds. Could possibly be that mentally, Howden is more mature and can handle game situations better than Lias. I wanna give these guys a couple of seasons though; they're just kids. I know eventually they have to show what they can do, and where they're headed professionally, but I'm not sure either one of them has shown their true colors yet.

Lias could very well be a later bloomer.

I did like Howden with Kakko and Lemeiux though. That was a good mix. That's a good chance for Howden to use his big frame and good hands around the net. With Lemeiux's feisty digging and Kakko's playmaking ability, it should come together nicely.

Just seems these guys are going to progress at different speeds. Could possibly be that mentally, Howden is more mature and can handle game situations better than Lias. I wanna give these guys a couple of seasons though; they're just kids. I know eventually they have to show what they can do, and where they're headed professionally, but I'm not sure either one of them has shown their true colors yet.

Lias could very well be a later bloomer.

I did like Howden with Kakko and Lemeiux though. That was a good mix. That's a good chance for Howden to use his big frame and good hands around the net. With Lemeiux's feisty digging and Kakko's playmaking ability, it should come together nicely.

If he “blooms” in the next 2-3 seasons, that would be on-time, not at all late.

I think Andersson has played well enough, line mates and ice time taken into account, to deserve a shot at 3c.

If he “blooms” in the next 2-3 seasons, that would be on-time, not at all late.

Oh definitely, 7....I think these guys have really good potential. Lias has that "dicky" quality in him, and I think at some point he may be a real agitating guy to play against. I can only hope for a Tikkanen-type attitude in him. I swore I'd be patient with these kids and have fun with this season.

There's been some flashes of good stuff early on and I'm seeing progress with not only Lias, but lots of the new kids on the block. Yeah, there's been some blunders as well, but that's to be expected. We'll get there! ;)

Does he though? It’s impossible to say what Lias would’ve done with the same amount of ice time and leash Howden has been given. He could have taken huge steps, he could have been totally shit and drowned. We just don’t know. And that, I guess, is the problem.

Howden earned his ice time in the first few months last season. No doubt about that. Then he hit the wall and was putrid for the rest of the season. Yet he kept playing. Andersson has certainly never earned his ice time in the way Howden did, but he has also never really been given the platform to succeed and never had any leash at all.

The way they’re handling him is just weird from an organizational perspective imo. They said none of their key prospects would play on the 4th line. Yet here we are with Andersson. Is he no longer seen as a key prospect going forward?

Oh definitely, 7....I think these guys have really good potential. Lias has that "dicky" quality in him, and I think at some point he may be a real agitating guy to play against. I can only hope for a Tikkanen-type attitude in him. I swore I'd be patient with these kids and have fun with this season.

There's been some flashes of good stuff early on and I'm seeing progress with not only Lias, but lots of the new kids on the block. Yeah, there's been some blunders as well, but that's to be expected. We'll get there! ;)

It’s just going to take him probably in the 200-250 games range to get to wherever it is he’s going as a player.

And no one should be bothered by that

That’s what most guys need, independent of draft position

He may also be in the 400 games range before he actually hits his ceiling if that happens. That’s becoming more and more common for guys that enter the league young

It's more about switching players and line combinations up. Howden isn't producing anything at 3C, and he's played with different linemates there and can't get anything going. What exactly is there to lose to switching lines up?