• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kids are the Wors — Best, I Meant Best

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

"Congratulations, your daughter has has been chosen as a member of the Dance Energy Competition Showcase Team, below you'll see the compulsory classes needed to maintain her status and prepare for events. Please pick a minimum of 4 disciplines, but more choices are also fine. Thanks again and we look forward to a fantastic competitive season, way to go Evelyn!"

Me: We can't do this. Baseball is $45 for the entire season, this is bizarre.

Daughter: Cries

Me: Seriously hun, it looks cool but we can't afford it, I'm sorry.

Wife: Cries

"Congratulations, your daughter has has been chosen as a member of the Dance Energy Competition Showcase Team, below you'll see the compulsory classes needed to maintain her status and prepare for events. Please pick a minimum of 4 disciplines, but more choices are also fine. Thanks again and we look forward to a fantastic competitive season, way to go Evelyn!"

Me: We can't do this. Baseball is $45 for the entire season, this is bizarre.

Daughter: Cries

Me: Seriously hun, it looks cool but we can't afford it, I'm sorry.

Wife: Cries

This is not easy to admit but I'm 53 year old man and haven't missed an episode of "Dance Moms".
  • LOL 1

• 1 year later...
I have a feeling my son will not want to go to college. He hates school. Im afraid to think what?s going to happen once high school is over

I never read the beginning of this thread- on an awful call and did some catchup

This post caught my attention..

Maybe your son is like me.. I loved school till I got to Jr. High, then started to dislike it, by the time HS was done I absolutely HATED school and had the grades to show it. I went to Community College for a semester to appease my parents, I'd say that 1st October I went to visit a HS buddy. IT was the best weekend of my life to that point.. Came back Sunday night and told my parents "I'm going to college!!" Put it in gear that 1st semester, had a great second and summer semester and was 600 miles away 18 months later. College appealed to my sensibilities more than HS did..

My 23-year old son is looking to buy a co-op in the next few weeks and move back to NYC. It's been great having him home since March and while I get his desire to make this move and get on with life, the 'flying from the nest' part has me in a melancholy mood. The other guy, 21, is looking to move to NYC too but not that soon -- so I still have my 'sports partner' around for a bit longer. When he moves, that's gonna' be a tough one for this dad.

For those of you with young ones, I'll say it again, love 'em up every day as much as you can. The heartfelt joy of a family being close is irreplaceable.

• TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

• 1 year later...

My standard saturday AM grocery trip is now over $400 for the week. 

The inflation part, sure, that sucks, but it's definitely just being driven by the 3 kids, and seemingly bottomless appetite. Nothing fancy, just calories.

Why did I think this was going to get cheaper as I aged?

• Phil changed the title to Kids are the Wors — Best, I Meant Best

Same for us. Two kids just drains the food budget. I went the other day for a quick trip to pick up a handful of things they needed. Fruits, kids snacks, etc. It was like one bag full and cost $49. We're talking fucking apples, fruit rollups, some cookies, etc. Just insane.

I got a second one (another boy) on the way in the summer 😬 I am dreading the future expenses, but obviously can't wait to meet him. The first one has been a blast.

Lucky enough to work from home so the gas price for a commute or something isn't killing our budget. Feel bad for families who are taking on that bill in addition to the other inflated prices we are all dealing with.

• TroCheckmark 2
  • Applause 1

On 2/3/2021 at 2:38 PM, 4EverRangerFrank said:

My 23-year old son is looking to buy a co-op in the next few weeks and move back to NYC. It's been great having him home since March and while I get his desire to make this move and get on with life, the 'flying from the nest' part has me in a melancholy mood. The other guy, 21, is looking to move to NYC too but not that soon -- so I still have my 'sports partner' around for a bit longer. When he moves, that's gonna' be a tough one for this dad.

For those of you with young ones, I'll say it again, love 'em up every day as much as you can. The heartfelt joy of a family being close is irreplaceable.

UPDATE: Older son bought his co-op, we cleaned and painted it top to bottom and a month after moving in…he accepted a transfer to London, moving there this past New Year’s Eve. NYC market for his unit (large 1BR in a beautiful Art Deco building) is at a stand-still. People are stepping up to a 2BR to continue work from home or buying studios in ‘doorman’ buildings. Oh-well, it’s only (his) money. 

Anticipating my separation from divorce, we sold

our home and I bought a new 2BR condo in Beacon a short walk to the MetroNorth train. My youngest son moved here with me so he could eventually commute to his new job in NYC. THEN, my wife and I reconciled and re-married in December. We went on a 10-day honeymoon to Dominican Republic a couple of weeks ago and will follow that up with another week I’m Cancun next month. LOL - we needed a bit of separation to rekindle and it’s been great. 

We’re adding a large clothes closet for her in our unit anticipating her move here in June…when her apartment lease ends. 

Life can be quite unpredictable. 

• The Chyt! 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

5 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

UPDATE: Older son bought his co-op, we cleaned and painted it top to bottom and a month after moving in…he accepted a transfer to London, moving there this past New Year’s Eve. NYC market for his unit (large 1BR in a beautiful Art Deco building) is at a stand-still. People are stepping up to a 2BR to continue work from home or buying studios in ‘doorman’ buildings. Oh-well, it’s only (his) money. 

Anticipating my separation from divorce, we sold

our home and I bought a new 2BR condo in Beacon a short walk to the MetroNorth train. My youngest son moved here with me so he could eventually commute to his new job in NYC. THEN, my wife and I reconciled and re-married in December. We went on a 10-day honeymoon to Dominican Republic a couple of weeks ago and will follow that up with another week I’m Cancun next month. LOL - we needed a bit of separation to rekindle and it’s been great. 

We’re adding a large clothes closet for her in our unit anticipating her move here in June…when her apartment lease ends. 

Life can be quite unpredictable. 

Sounds like a Ryan Reynolds romcom. 

• LOL 1
  • Cheers 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

On 3/12/2022 at 10:29 AM, Phil said:

Same for us. Two kids just drains the food budget. I went the other day for a quick trip to pick up a handful of things they needed. Fruits, kids snacks, etc. It was like one bag full and cost $49. We're talking fucking apples, fruit rollups, some cookies, etc. Just insane.

I'm taking my son to the veterinarian because I swear he has worms - eats all of the time!

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Second kid on the way. Current one is 2 1/2. Our primary vehicle has been a ‘15 Lexus RX 350, and trips anywhere fill that thing up quick. And that’s with one. A second kid is really just going to push us out of it. So….

Van or big SUV?

Third row SUV if you have an ego. 

Minivan if you just don't give a fuck. 

My Pathfinder is coming tomorrow because I have fucks to give. 

And congrats on the sex. 

Edited by Pete
  • TroCheckmark 1