• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pressure Mounting on the Toronto Maple Leafs

Phil

3. It is tense in Toronto. You could see the organization was curious how things would transpire without an injured John Tavares and his calming influence. They are 1-1-1, but it simply doesn?t look right. In last year?s playoff, during the three games in Toronto, Patrice Bergeron had 35 even-strength minutes and saw Tavares for 31 of them. Coach Mike Babcock gave us something fun last Saturday at home against the Bruins ? a solid taste of the Mitch Marner/Auston Matthews combo, the second-most ice-time of Matthews? career, and 11:24 against Bergeron at even-strength (in the re-match Tuesday in Boston, Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy showed he wasn?t afraid of keeping it that way).

I loved that Babcock made the challenge, but you can see he?s not ready to trust this full-time ? especially when riddled with the kinds of mistakes that came Monday at home against Columbus. As of Wednesday, Matthews has taken just 17 defensive-zone draws (winning 29 per cent of them), one of which led directly to a Blue Jackets goal on Monday night. The improving Frederik Gauthier has taken 66, Nick Shore 62 ? and both are over 60 per cent.

You can understand why Babcock is doing it this way, he?s got to win games in a much tighter division, and he believes prime time is earned, not given. That?s not wrong, but I wonder if these times call for something different. In Winnipeg, Patrik Laine clamoured for more responsibility, and the Jets made him a deal: ?Fine, but we will take it away if you don?t compete hard enough to make it work.? Laine got the message, and the early season difference is noticeable. In Edmonton, the ice time for Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid is probably unsustainable, but the two have accepted a challenge and it is a big reason the start of their season feels so much more promising.

Toronto?s cap situation means their top players have to be the drivers, as both Babcock and Matthews indicated after the Boston loss. Is it time to fully unleash them and challenge them to make the necessary improvements without sheltering?

4. As the pressure mounts, there will be plenty of talk about Babcock?s future. One thing everyone should remember: he takes a lot of the heat. A lot of it. What I respect about him is that he recognizes it as part of the job. Where does it go if he?s gone?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-pressure-mounting-toronto-maple-leafs/

They're not in a "trade their way out" position. They're in a "fire their way out" one. They've hitched their wagon — for better or worse — to long-term futures in Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. I don't see how they don't axe Babcock if this continues.

Matthews's effort on that goal against vs. CBJ was inexcusable, but he made up for it that same period. That's the story with Matthews basically, and I don't get why you don't just accept the potential defensive warts, work on them, but also know that he scores in droves. More ice time = more goals.

You gotta ride your horses, but Babs seems unwilling to do so - as we saw in Game 7, which, to me, was the beginning of the end for him.

Yeah, according to the most recent episode of the Steve Dangle podcast, Dubas reportedly went to management after the game seven loss and requested permission to move on from Babcock but was denied. Management apparently told him he's a winning coach with too many years left, and to make it work.

This was refuted by John Shannon this summer, but it still feels like one of those situations where even if Dubas technically has the authority to do so, actually exercising autonomy might get him in hot water with the big guns.

Yeah, according to the most recent episode of the Steve Dangle podcast, Dubas reportedly went to management after the game seven loss and requested permission to move on from Babcock but was denied. Management apparently told him he's a winning coach with too many years left, and to make it work.

This was refuted by John Shannon this summer, but it still feels like one of those situations where even if Dubas technically has the authority to do so, actually exercising autonomy might get him in hot water with the big guns.

Wasn't Babcock's contract a record-breaking deal for a coach?

I know MSLE prints money, but sinking $15m or whatever's left on that deal to bring in another coach at 5m/season?

Eek. That's a lot of money to swallow.

4. As the pressure mounts, there will be plenty of talk about Babcock’s future. One thing everyone should remember: he takes a lot of the heat. A lot of it. What I respect about him is that he recognizes it as part of the job. Where does it go if he’s gone?

That's the best question. What if they still suck? They've already hated on AM34 for whatever in the playoffs, that'll be worse without a coach there to blame as well.

Babcock has his weird deployments and stuff - like most every coach - but I think he catches more heat than he should. The team he inherited was super young, and the d corps is and has been awful. They aren't built to be a good playoff team, and there isn't much the coach can do about that. If they flame out this year, then yea you probably have to move on, but it's still too early to can him I think.

Wasn't Babcock's contract a record-breaking deal for a coach?

I know MSLE prints money, but sinking $15m or whatever's left on that deal to bring in another coach at 5m/season?

Eek. That's a lot of money to swallow.

I mean, you answered your own question. I doubt they care very much about the dollar value so long as the result is positive. They're probably hiring Keefe, anyway, who I can't imagine makes anywhere near $5M+ a year.

That's the best question. What if they still suck? They've already hated on AM34 for whatever in the playoffs, that'll be worse without a coach there to blame as well.

Babcock has his weird deployments and stuff - like most every coach - but I think he catches more heat than he should. The team he inherited was super young, and the d corps is and has been awful. They aren't built to be a good playoff team, and there isn't much the coach can do about that. If they flame out this year, then yea you probably have to move on, but it's still too early to can him I think.

Yeah, that's huge. It's tremendous pressure on whoever comes in (Keefe). Imagine that guy also flames out in round one (to Boston, most likely)? Full-scale meltdown. You'll have Leafs nation screaming every day to trade Matthews/Marner/Nylander.

I'm 100% photoshopping his face on Margot Robbie tonight.

why? u like him sexy?

Yeah...do it the other way around. Margot Robbie's face on David Quinn's body. I don't need to be getting a boner and questioning my sexuality. Actually, that's still a bit dicey. Let's just skip combining Margot Robbie and David Quinn altogether.