• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Was Panarin Worth It?

Fatfrancesa

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thread isn’t anything other than a place to talk about the effect of panarin on the rebuild. He’s been fantastic. Him being fantastic doesn’t mean team success. Panarin s contract also has the largest effect on the teams cap. I argued the rangers needed money to get another top six center. Of course that was immediately shot down with the abundance of depth the rangers have at center. I’d argue that center ice is absolutely a concern going forward.

The thread isn’t anything other than a place to talk about the effect of panarin on the rebuild. He’s been fantastic. Him being fantastic doesn’t mean team success. Panarin s contract also has the largest effect on the teams cap. I argued the rangers needed money to get another top six center. Of course that was immediately shot down with the abundance of depth the rangers have at center. I’d argue that center ice is absolutely a concern going forward.

The thing is that when you have a chance to get a player of his caliber in his prime, you do it. If management and coaches can’t figure out how to win with Panarin, how are they going to figure out how to win without him? Getting a 2 or 3c is a better option? Doubt it. On top of being stupid skilled, he has top 5 hockey IQ in the league, and pure instincts for the game.

The thread isn?t anything other than a place to talk about the effect of panarin on the rebuild. He?s been fantastic. Him being fantastic doesn?t mean team success. Panarin s contract also has the largest effect on the teams cap. I argued the rangers needed money to get another top six center. Of course that was immediately shot down with the abundance of depth the rangers have at center. I?d argue that center ice is absolutely a concern going forward.

In the immediate future I?d agree but there are 3-4 prospects who could fill the 2c spot in the next 1-3 years. Chytil, Howden, Anderson, and Henrickson all have potential to be on the second line. hopefully it?s Chytil.

With that said I?d def go for a center in the first round this year if possible (I prefer drafting based on skill not position but maybe we get lucky).

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The thing is that when you have a chance to get a player of his caliber in his prime, you do it. If management and coaches can’t figure out how to win with Panarin, how are they going to figure out how to win without him? Getting a 2 or 3c is a better option? Doubt it. On top of being stupid skilled, he has top 5 hockey IQ in the league, and pure instincts for the game.

Ok. I didn’t start this thread to make an argument 7 games in. I started it now to have a thread to discuss his impact for 7 years. I thought it would be good for the forum to have a thread to discuss the most important player on the roster for the next 7 years. I would start one for Kakko too but why bother.

Ok. I didn’t start this thread to make an argument 7 games in. I started it now to have a thread to discuss his impact for 7 years. I thought it would be good for the forum to have a thread to discuss the most important player on the roster for the next 7 years. I would start one for Kakko too but why bother.

But there is nothing new to say 3 weeks into the season. Its beating a dead horse. When you have a chance to add a player like Panarin, and Trouba for that matter, you do it. This season and next all the draft picks get to show what they can do. Come the summer of 2021 Staal, Smith, Hank, and the heavy buyouts are gone. There will be plenty of money to address depth.

If the signed Dzingle instead of Panarin they'd be winless.

for the record, I do love my fianc?, especially just in case she ever reads this. Love you sweetheart! Lol

As for the point of this thread, during a rebuild you pray and hope one of your rebuild pieces turns into a Panarin talent. Instead we got one with at least 3-4 years of elite prime. If we aren’t competing for a cup in that time, we are in a bit of trouble. If we are, then it’s also safe to assume we’ve developed another player of Panarin talent level, hopefully Kakko, and have an awesome 1-2 punch if not 1-2-3 punches.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I get the point of the thread, which I think is perfectly fine, even if its a silly idea to ask the question at this specific time. I am with the camp that says maybe this signing would have made more sense next year or the year following, but, you have to pull the trigger now if the player is available now. I'm sure this thread will make much more sense in the following seasons, if it isn't too badly derailed by then.

I think the answer to the question that this thread poses is we don’t know yet.

I can’t argue with the logic of adding him. Players of his caliber don’t become available in free agency at age 27 pretty much ever anymore. And he wanted to be here, allegedly leaving money on the table to do so.

Hard to pass on that

Yes it's too early, etc. etc.

But I would also say that playing on a line without Zib is a much better measurement of where he's at. At that price tag, he should be able to carry a line. He's a lot more valuable if he makes Buch and Strome/Howden/Chytil whoever more productive.

Every line he has been on he had elevated their play.

He is worth every penny. More if we end up with a cup during his time on the roster.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

Still a rebuild year and team is learning its identity. Watch the Tampa game; by year's end this team should have a good thing going. Maybe make the playoffs, maybe not but all in all Panarin was necessary. He is the Jagr of this era bringing the team back to the dance.

Trouba is the player whom I question but hey... it's a move towards competing again.

You can't even ask the question "was Panarin worth it" until at least a couple years into a 7 year contract. It's a long term investment. To even try to assess it now is just a primal scream that you hated the deal. Got that.

same take here, way, way too premature.

Trouba on the other hand.............. I think the odds of that deal going sideways on the back end kind of scare me.

I am kinda surprised how much this thread is being misconceived. The OP stated he knows its too early to ask this question but that its more of a place to post a little farther down the road when this question has more purpose.

There's history with the OP and ripping the Panarin deal in almost every thread throughout the offseason. The timing this thread was made was when the team was on a 5 game skid, and it was done 7 games into a 7 year contract. Just reading the tea leaves here on OP's intention.

I am kinda surprised how much this thread is being misconceived. The OP stated he knows its too early to ask this question but that its more of a place to post a little farther down the road when this question has more purpose.

Cause the OP made clear before any signatures went on any lines that he didn’t not want Panarin here, at least not at promised price