• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Time for Rangers to Re-Call Chytil?

Phil

If players aren?t ready, there is no point in putting them in position to fail. But come on. Filip Chytil had a disappointing camp, and that was obvious. He earned his assignment to the AHL. But if you?re telling me that he still needs more time in Hartford following a pretty spirited start in which he has recorded eight points (three goals, five assists) in six games, if you?re suggesting that more of a message needs to be sent, that I am not buying.

Chytil should be here for Thursday?s match at the Garden against the Sabres and he should have Kaapo Kakko on his right and Kreider on his left. Pavel Buchnevich should return to the first line. Honestly, I just do not understand why Quinn insists on forcing Brett Howden into a top-six role for which he does not appear to have the skill set.

There is no shame in that. Howden is a hard-working young man of 21 who is as diligent as can be in all three zones. The coaching staff trusts him. But when the Rangers acquired him as part of the package in the Ryan McDonagh deal at the 2018 deadline, the organization pegged his upside as being a high-end, third-line center.

But faced with that gigantic hole in the middle of the second line created by Chytil?s demotion, Quinn seems determined to pound a square peg into it. I just don?t get it. Since the start of last season, the sophomore ranks third from the bottom in Corsi among NHL forwards with at least 800 minutes at five-on-five, fourth worst in xGF percentage and 14th from the bottom in goal-share percentage The staff has been careful about not putting players in position to fail, but unless I am missing something, that?s what?s happening with Howden.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/22/rangers-cant-blame-youth-for-troubling-trend/

I mean you can really only keep playing the same guys up so many times. He really has to bank on Panarin being able to carry that second line. Not saying it's not doable but he's never consistently been on a line with players as bad as the one he's currently on. I'm a bit doubtful in his ability to carry Strome and I just don't trust Buchnevich to consistently bring the skillset he needs. Maybe Chytil helps but I think he's another Buch on that line.

Why, for 4th line minutes? What's the point?

He should ask for a loan to play overseas. (serious)

This. Which is why I'm torn on calling him up. He seems to be responding well to his demotion and has elevated his play. Taking him away from that to not play top 6 mins is a step backwards IMO.

I also think Quinn needs to stop line shuffling. These guys need more time to gel together.

I mean you can really only keep playing the same guys up so many times. He really has to bank on Panarin being able to carry that second line. Not saying it's not doable but he's never consistently been on a line with players as bad as the one he's currently on. I'm a bit doubtful in his ability to carry Strome and I just don't trust Buchnevich to consistently bring the skillset he needs. Maybe Chytil helps but I think he's another Buch on that line.

I mean you can really only keep playing the same guys up so many times [Howden/Strome?]. He [Quinn?] really has to bank on Panarin being able to carry that second line. Not saying it's not doable but he's [Panarin?] never consistently been on a line with players as bad as the one he's currently on. I'm a bit doubtful in his [Panarin?] ability to carry Strome and I just don't trust Buchnevich to consistently bring the skillset he needs. Maybe Chytil helps but I think he's another Buch on that line.

I mean you can really only keep playing the same guys up so many times [Howden/Strome?]. He [Quinn?] really has to bank on Panarin being able to carry that second line. Not saying it's not doable but he's [Panarin?] never consistently been on a line with players as bad as the one he's currently on. I'm a bit doubtful in his [Panarin?] ability to carry Strome and I just don't trust Buchnevich to consistently bring the skillset he needs. Maybe Chytil helps but I think he's another Buch on that line.

Yes. What's the point of this post besides madlibbing?

Yes. What's the point of this post besides madlibbing?

Just wasn't positive who you were referring to and wanted to confirm.

That said, I think Panarin-Chytil-Kakko would end up producing more than Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson did. Especially when you consider the opponent has another line to deal with in KZB, that didn't exist in Columbus.

Just wasn't positive who you were referring to and wanted to confirm.

That said, I think Panarin-Chytil-Kakko would end up producing more than Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson did. Especially when you consider the opponent has another line to deal with in KZB, that didn't exist in Columbus.

Gotcha. My bad for playing the pronoun game just wasn't sure if you were trying to be an ass because it was only a copy of my post. All good.

Fair point regarding Panarin-Chytil-Kakko. I think they're still a bit behind in the talent that line had given where Chytil and Kakko currently are at. I definitely prefer Kakko on that line as opposed to Buch, though. I think Panarin and Buch is forcing chemistry that isn't there because they speak the same language.

This. Which is why I'm torn on calling him up. He seems to be responding well to his demotion and has elevated his play. Taking him away from that to not play top 6 mins is a step backwards IMO.

I also think Quinn needs to stop line shuffling. These guys need more time to gel together.

There's absolutely no reason not to call him up, and no reason not to play him on that second line though. He was sent down to prove himself, he's done that. The team is total shit and the guys who have had the chance as 2c haven't done anything.

As an aside, I don't understand this idea that it must be top 6 for him and Kravtsov. Svechnikov played most of last season on the Canes 3rd line. It didn't hurt him, and most young players cut their teeth with 3rd line duty. I agree there's no reason to call him up to play on the 4th line obviously.

There's absolutely no reason not to call him up, and no reason not to play him on that second line (edited)

As an aside, I don't understand this idea that it must be top 6 for him and Kravtsov. Svechnikov played most of last season on the Canes 3rd line. It didn't hurt him, and most young players cut their teeth with 3rd line duty. I agree there's no reason to call him up to play on the 4th line obviously.

Bring him up for line 2/3 and reward him with minutes as he demonstrates consistency. Seems obvious to me. His camp wasn?t great but it shouldn?t keep him in Hartford too long either.

This. You can't keep busting up lines and you can't just keep Panarin with Zib while you shuffle every other option around besides putting Kakko with Panarin...

Go at least two games with set lines man.