Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 276

Thread: The moderators and their judgements

  1. #21
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,670
    Rep Power
    157
    Youíre always welcome my Russian friend, as long as you bring the mail order brides with you
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  2. #22
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78,648
    Rep Power
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Do mods have the ability to report a post like a standard user? Maybe they use that feature when they are the one in a heated discussion with another user, taking themselves out of the particular equation.
    I also report mod posts on the regular.


  3. #23
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78,648
    Rep Power
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Yes, but youre allllllll the same. Like its a requirement to be a mod. And ruling over those with opposing views. Gee, I dont think we'll ever see issues...
    Puckhead is a gun toting Republican.

  4. #24
    Banned Junior Division
    Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    5,811
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    You’re always welcome my Russian friend, as long as you bring the mail order brides with you
    and vodka?

  5. #25
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,027
    Rep Power
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Translation: "you're all left of center," which is mostly true, and a factor I routinely take into account when adding to Staff. This is why AmericanJesus (as centrist as they come) and RodrigueGabriel (as calm as they come) were specifically tasked with spearheading the Political section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Puckhead is a gun toting Republican.
    Nope.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  6. #26
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,893
    Rep Power
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Nope.
    Yes. You just don't agree.

    I should also note that when selecting the "right" Staff candidates, political lean (though it's taken into account) is a distant second to behavioral temperament. This isn't a CNN panel where I'm going to "hire" polar extremes for the sake of visual balance. I'm far more concerned with objectivity than I am party affiliation. On that front, AmericanJesus, RodrigueGabriel, and PuckHead are all fine choices thus far. Until they aren't. At which point I'll aim for an alternative.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #27
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,670
    Rep Power
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    and vodka?
    That goes without saying
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  8. #28
    day-to-day Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    We do use the thread ban, but right now the rules are inversed — we go infractions first, then thread banning. Maybe that needs to reverse, I'm not sure. I'd certainly be open to having a conversation about why that would be of greater value and moreover why it wouldn't just increase the work load of the Staff.

    But yeah, we set out with significantly harsher rules specifically for politics a bit ago. It's the only section of the forum where "different rules" apply. They're not so much different, either, as simply far more iron-fisted.
    I think the thread ban could be useful.

    Over the years I have consistently been more critical of Lundqvist than the average user (paid too much, past his prime, etc). It's better for me to avoid piling on or saying too much in a thread dedicated to Lundqvist because I just end up being a voice of negativity instead of adding anything constructive to the conversation.

    We all have our triggers.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  9. #29
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,027
    Rep Power
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yes. You just don't agree.

    I should also note that when selecting the "right" Staff candidates, political lean (though it's taken into account) is a distant second to behavioral temperament. This isn't a CNN panel where I'm going to "hire" polar extremes for the sake of visual balance. I'm far more concerned with objectivity than I am party affiliation. On that front, AmericanJesus, RodrigueGabriel, and PuckHead are all fine choices thus far. Until they aren't. At which point I'll aim for an alternative.
    Yeah, and you know I don’t really care. It’s a small a complaint, but whatever.

    And I think that’s an important thing for all users to remember. Don’t take anything too seriously. It’s supposed to be fun. Even the political threads. If it’s not, don’t post, or avoid it. Some users love the debate aspect, some don’t. Engaging isn’t always required, nor should be required.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  10. #30
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,027
    Rep Power
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I think the thread ban could be useful.

    Over the years I have consistently been more critical of Lundqvist than the average user (paid too much, past his prime, etc). It's better for me to avoid piling on or saying too much in a thread dedicated to Lundqvist because I just end up being a voice of negativity instead of adding anything constructive to the conversation.

    We all have our triggers.

    I disagree. All opinions should be welcomed and discussed.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  11. #31
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,893
    Rep Power
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Yeah, and you know I donít really care. Itís a small a complaint, but whatever.

    And I think thatís an important thing for all users to remember. Donít take anything too seriously. Itís supposed to be fun. Even the political threads. If itís not, donít post, or avoid it. Some users love the debate aspect, some donít. Engaging isnít always required, nor should be required.
    Might be time to bring back the Pierre for President sig...


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #32
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,830
    Rep Power
    42
    Phil while you may like to have other moderators infractions those in arguments with you, in reality it is you that had infracted most of the time. It is you that warns me that my rhetoric is to partisan, all the while your rhetoric is the same. You then infract me or ban me for doing much of what you do. When I don’t relent I get banned. I have reported mods. I have also sending questions with my reports. They are rarely answered in any timely manner if at all. Usually I get an infraction or a banning before a response ever comes. Regardless it is what it is. I brought it up here because it seems to be the only way to get an actual discussion of what is going on. I’m not the only one who feels like leaning right gets you little tolerance in the political section. Obviously Phil you are very impassioned with politics. Could you possibly believe your a good arbitrator in a political thread? In the hockey thread there is mainly one user here that invites everyone here at some point. But his belligerence is pretty much there in every thread. Some try and back off and play nice. I know of at least one posted who used to contribute all the time that has left because of the moderators inaction towards this person. Yes Pete you.

  13. #33
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,893
    Rep Power
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Phil while you may like to have other moderators infractions those in arguments with you, in reality it is you that had infracted most of the time. It is you that warns me that my rhetoric is to partisan, all the while your rhetoric is the same. You then infract me or ban me for doing much of what you do.
    No, you were infracted for calling another user pompous, and ignoring a staff request.

    When I don’t relent I get banned.
    Correct. Same as anyone else who would do the same. Especially when asked by the Staff not to.

    I have reported mods. I have also sending questions with my reports. They are rarely answered in any timely manner if at all.
    Reporting a post ≠ to being justified about your complaint. We also tend to view questions written in reports as rhetorical — as in ones to ponder internally. Not to respond back to the user with. If you have specific questions you want explicitly answered, PM one of us and we'll be happy to respond.

    Usually I get an infraction or a banning before a response ever comes.
    Yeah, when you continue to break the rules. Am I supposed to just ignore violations becuase we haven't responded yet?

    Regardless it is what it is. I brought it up here because it seems to be the only way to get an actual discussion of what is going on. I’m not the only one who feels like leaning right gets you little tolerance in the political section.
    Leaning right is tolerated in exactly the same way leaning left is. There's no bias towards political lean. You broke forum rules and were infracted for them. Claiming — without evidence — that it's because we're out to get you because you don't subscribe to a preferred political lean (another falsehood) is simply dishonest.

    Obviously Phil you are very impassioned with politics. Could you possibly believe your a good arbitrator in a political thread?
    I certainly try to be, but as I've said repeatedly, if ever you disagree, report those posts and I'll happily let the Staff make a determination without me. Just remember — the act of reporting exists irrespective of the outcome.

    In the hockey thread there is mainly one user here that invites everyone here at some point. But his belligerence is pretty much there in every thread. Some try and back off and play nice. I know of at least one posted who used to contribute all the time that has left because of the moderators inaction towards this person. Yes Pete you.
    What inaction? Pete? He's been banned like three times in the last month. Again, these claims are utterly lacking in evidence.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  14. #34
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,124
    Rep Power
    342
    Who really gives a fuck? It’s a ban from a forum for being a dick, you’re not gettin pinched and facing time for fuck’s sake. But same life rules apply ... don’t wanna do the time, don’t commit the crime.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  15. #35
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,670
    Rep Power
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Who really gives a fuck? Itís a ban from a forum for being a dick, youíre not gettin pinched and facing time for fuckís sake. But same life rules apply ... donít wanna do the time, donít commit the crime.
    Lol where have you been
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  16. #36
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78,648
    Rep Power
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    In the hockey thread there is mainly one user here that invites everyone here at some point. But his belligerence is pretty much there in every thread. Some try and back off and play nice. I know of at least one posted who used to contribute all the time that has left because of the moderators inaction towards this person. Yes Pete you.
    Meanwhile I didn't post here for a solid year... I read, but I didn't post.

    You know what was different? A big fat nothing.

    I think there's a wild epidemic of people on this board who can give it but they can't take it, and at times I'm guilty of it myself.

    But to act like we're all not pretty much cut from the same cloth is pretty disingenuous.

    There's maybe a handful of users who are better at handling it than others, but you're not one of them. To act like you're persecuted is flat out dishonest. The next time you sit there and say "this poster it does this, this poster does that," you should look the way you post. Guarantee you're guilty of the same shit. To hear you call me belligerent is laughable. If that's not pot calling kettle black I don't know what is.

    (And PS if you have a problem with my presence here you should blame josh... not moderators.)
    Last edited by Pete; 10-23-2019 at 01:40 AM.

  17. #37
    day-to-day Midget Division
    fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Too far from MSG
    Posts
    4,960
    Rep Power
    103
    When I see a heated series of posts by two users, it turns a thread into a dialogue. I have seen situations where each party wanted to have the last word and be 'right'. Pete is one of my favorite posters, but I had to walk away from a couple of threads because of heated back and forth between the two of us.

    When there is an escalating series of posts between you and a user (especially a moderator), I recommend walking away. First, because you're both derailing the thread. Other users tend to just let the dialogue work itself out, and won't post their own thoughts. Second, because you're more likely to write something that crosses the line and risks discipline.

    There is always the temptation to have the personal parting shot, knowing that you risk consequences. Maybe it feels worth it to be able to tell another user off.

    Ultimately, though, if you develop a reputation for personal attacks or straying from the thread, users will just put you on ignore or not engage with you. Your posts become a monologue instead of interacting with other users.

    There's at least one user that is just a fly in the ointment to me - I completely discount their opinion because of how they have conducted themselves (no one posting in this thread so far).
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

    "How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

    "Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

  18. #38
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,124
    Rep Power
    342
    I miss this place the way it used to be. I know I haven’t posted in a while, but it’s not because of the mods, Phil, Pete, Josh, or whoever else might that’s considered to mix it up, myself included. I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s just not the same. Could be because the Rangers suck the last few years, could be the combination of nit wits posting, could even be because of Trump. I wrote in here a couple of years ago that the political and religion threads should be banned because it would come to a head eventually. I think how this forum has changed over the last couple of years is a direct result of that.

    I don’t hate or dislike anyone here because of their political views, mostly because I don’t give a fuck. Afaic, they’re all lying scumbag pussies who use the government as a shield to gain power and money. Cunts. Anywho, my point is anyone can get over a disagreement about the Rangers or hockey. Ex: Pete and I could disagree on pp stuff, fight about it for 2 days, but in another thread running simultaneously about a hit or offside call, whatever ... we can be in agreement and probably disagreeing with someone else. That doesn’t happen in politics. No one changes their minds. Ever. They have a stance, end of story. That’s what creates the constant animosity. Just my .02
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  19. #39
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,670
    Rep Power
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I miss this place the way it used to be. I know I havenít posted in a while, but itís not because of the mods, Phil, Pete, Josh, or whoever else might thatís considered to mix it up, myself included. I canít put my finger on it, but itís just not the same. Could be because the Rangers suck the last few years, could be the combination of nit wits posting, could even be because of Trump. I wrote in here a couple of years ago that the political and religion threads should be banned because it would come to a head eventually. I think how this forum has changed over the last couple of years is a direct result of that.

    I donít hate or dislike anyone here because of their political views, mostly because I donít give a fuck. Afaic, theyíre all lying scumbag pussies who use the government as a shield to gain power and money. Cunts. Anywho, my point is anyone can get over a disagreement about the Rangers or hockey. Ex: Pete and I could disagree on pp stuff, fight about it for 2 days, but in another thread running simultaneously about a hit or offside call, whatever ... we can be in agreement and probably disagreeing with someone else. That doesnít happen in politics. No one changes their minds. Ever. They have a stance, end of story. Thatís what creates the constant animosity. Just my .02
    I agree with all of this, great post douchebag
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  20. #40
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Veteran
    Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,124
    Rep Power
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    I agree with all of this, great post douchebag
    MAGA
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •