• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The moderators and their judgements

Fatfrancesa

There was a post a few years ago on this exact topic and a few members felt there was some sort of exclusivity in the more analytical posts. That thread left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Agreed.

It was also right in line with the whole content creation thing, re: blogs.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For historical context, here are some old discussions on a lot of the topics we have touched on here:

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?13544-Black-Cloud-on-the-Forum

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?19624-Let-s-Have-Another-Conversation

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?19324-Blog-Forum-Integration-Discussions

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?3961-The-Ignore-Tool

Unfortunately, the database pruning removed a lot of old posts, but I'm sure shit like this went on back in 2011 too.

Relative to the scale of the issue before? I would. There's no solving the fundamental issue of anyone who solely relies on "eyes only" versus "data only."

Simple as just ignore those posts as opposed to forcing them out entirely. Not gonna paint myself as a saint but if I see a topic that I don't feel like engaging in I don't. I don't see how that just wasn't the pushed solution.

The ignore tool is something I wish more members would utilize. I'm aware one can see posts if they're quoted but it still helps. Some restraint can go a long way.

The ignore tool is something I wish more members would utilize. I'm aware one can see posts if they're quoted but it still helps. Some restraint can go a long way.

The other issue is the app doesn't have the ignore tool (unless something changed). So if you use the app, which most people do at this point, you can't truly ignore anyone.

Regardless of whether or not the political threads exist, you don't have to post in them. You don't have to click on them, read, them or ever respond. If they're such a problem, don't post in them every day.

Don't blame mods b/c you don't like to follow rules.

That?s not the issue. The issue is that it creates more animosity and personal vendetta than an argument over hockey does. That effects the other threads. Even if someone agrees with person X about a hockey topic, they?ll either A) won?t admit it, or B) not respond. Either way, it effects conversation flow in every thread.

Again, it's about degree and balance to me. If say 70% of the conversational content is hockey ? something we need everyone's help on ? then having whatever portion of the leftovers taken up by politics is a non-issue. In other words:

Hockey 70% (Rangers 50%)

Current Events 10%

Other sports 10%

Television 5%

Other 5%

Make sense?

Politics, to me, is disproportionately felt right now because we're lacking in hockey conversations. It's not actually driving anything. It's just the only section with life at the moment. That's on us as a forum/community.

But it does drive something. It drives a wedge between people in the other threads, the same way it drives wedges between people outside of the internet. How many people do you know have stopped talking to each other because of political fb posts, tweets, etc .. ? I get that you don?t want to let it go, and you crave the discussion, it?s obvious, but it?s a cancer, period. Was before the internet and always will be.

That’s not the issue. The issue is that it creates more animosity and personal vendetta than an argument over hockey does. That effects the other threads. Even if someone agrees with person X about a hockey topic, they’ll either A) won’t admit it, or B) not respond. Either way, it effects conversation flow in every thread.

Does it? It doesn't for me. At all. Hell, I can go from a nuclear heat-level political thread to purely jovial in another and not bat an eyelash.

Does it? It doesn't for me. At all. Hell, I can go from a nuclear heat-level political thread to purely jovial in another and not bat an eyelash.

My infractions always come 18-36 hours after a "heated" political discussion... and based on the things I post, they're usually pretty weak posts

I haven’t been infracted in forever, need to step up my game

My posts get deleted cause I post dumb shit that's irrelevant to any kind of discussion, but I also haven't been infracted in a long time.

Hey fuck you, you pompous shit...

Am I doing that correct? lol

That?s not the issue. The issue is that it creates more animosity and personal vendetta than an argument over hockey does. That effects the other threads. Even if someone agrees with person X about a hockey topic, they?ll either A) won?t admit it, or B) not respond. Either way, it effects conversation flow in every thread.

Eh, I don't really agree with that.

But again, simply ignoring the threads in the political section solves this.

For historical context, here are some old discussions on a lot of the topics we have touched on here:

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?13544-Black-Cloud-on-the-Forum

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?19624-Let-s-Have-Another-Conversation

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?19324-Blog-Forum-Integration-Discussions

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?3961-The-Ignore-Tool

Unfortunately, the database pruning removed a lot of old posts, but I'm sure shit like this went on back in 2011 too.

Holy shit, I wrote a post that's longer than 5 lines in one of those threads. Wow.

Not everyone is like that. I also feel like I can roll with the punches and can shrug off disagreements and not let it affect my relationship with that person elsewhere, but...not everyone is like that.

Not everyone has thick skin or the ability to compartmentalize like that and there's nothing we, the thick skinners, can do about it.

Eh, I don't really agree with that.

But again, simply ignoring the threads in the political section solves this.

Ignoring threads, sections, posts, and posters goes incredibly far in the effort to not have those things affect you. Agree 100%.

Pete made the analogy of the shit-show on-ice NYR performance equating it to the rubber-necking affect you see when there's an accident on the highway. Sorry for interjecting my own analogy and paraphrasing, Pete...just trying to bring a point home. We'll get there eventually.

Ignoring is only possible if you have willpower and the tools to do so.

Simply removing the charged sections removes the accident from the side of the highway.

I firmly believe that at least some of the hostility on here comes back to what Mike said. The Rangers suck.

The Rangers being shit is actually the perfect breeding ground for content. Everyone has ideas on how to fix what's broken. It's when a team is highly successful that things stagnate. So the fact they're shit means we should be swimming in threads.

Even just looking at the game-day threads, there is more negativity and hostility when the Rangers are on a losing streak. Politics threads and religion threads can have a carry-over effect - that user worships the wrong god or supports the wrong party. It shouldn't - but it's why some families have an unsaid rule of not talking about politics or religion at extended family gatherings.

I can disagree passionately with someone, and argue for 30 minutes (in person), and still be on good terms. Or I can call my wife a c*nt and be sleeping on the couch. It's all how you choose to disagree and conduct yourself.

If we all agreed this would be an awfully boring place.