• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The moderators and their judgements

Fatfrancesa

Wrong attitude, my man.

Don’t be so defensive, it doesn't look good on you.

No, fuck that. "You and your mods should make content for me to participate in." Okay, bud. Sure thing. I'll get right on that.

Perhaps I should have worded it better, "You're right I should be more active and I've been working on that. But also, why don't you present new threads and ideas?"

I will remind you that mods create every single GDT, which are some of the most trafficked posts on the forum. We did try a few years ago to create original content for the forum in the form of the blog but that fizzled out for a majority of reasons - chief among them, time commitment and lack of engagement. Also, there was some hostility there when we posted CFC articles...

And none of this speaks to the original issue at hand here - following the simple rules of this forum. I'm not sure how more content will lead to a sudden epiphany that rules will be followed.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was for removing the religious and political threads when I was on the staff. They are pointless traffic. It's not a discussion or healthy discourse. It's literally the only place on the board where no one changes their mind, ever.

And clearly there are some doing the work of at least trying to find sources that are centrist, and then others are quoting the Drudge Report...Use ABC news as a source and it's "#fakenews MSM"...Pizzagate, Hillary murdered the pedophile, etc. nonsense.

How many times does impeachment have to be explained?

It's all whatboutism. Want to talk about the President? Facts are ignored and the conversation shifts to past presidents or presidential wannabe's...instead of a focus on what the actual president is doing.

Fuck we have NY Cheif who only posts wise ass replies in the politics section and doesn't post anywhere else...You're telling me he's here for hockey?

Section has zero ROI. More trouble than it's worth.

Yet I can't step away because it's like a Ranger game...Such a clusterfuck that you can't help but sit there and yell at the TV for all the choas and poor play.

I guess that's what makes it fit here. But that's it.

If it is such a problem, stop reading and posting in it.

It is incredibly ironic for two of the most prevalent posters in that thread to say that it shouldn't exist.

Regardless of whether or not the political threads exist, you don't have to post in them. You don't have to click on them, read, them or ever respond. If they're such a problem, don't post in them every day.

Don't blame mods b/c you don't like to follow rules.

relax, bud. we're just discussing ideas

No, fuck that. "You and your mods should make content for me to participate in." Okay, bud. Sure thing. I'll get right on that.

Perhaps I should have worded it better, "You're right I should be more active and I've been working on that. But also, why don't you present new threads and ideas?"

I will remind you that mods create every single GDT, which are some of the most trafficked posts on the forum. We did try a few years ago to create original content for the forum in the form of the blog but that fizzled out for a majority of reasons - chief among them, time commitment and lack of engagement. Also, there was some hostility there when we posted CFC articles...

I didn't read it like that and you're still being really defensive about it.

It is 100% a good idea for Forum Staff to be active and creating content. Period.

If it is such a problem, stop reading and posting in it.

It is incredibly ironic for two of the most prevalent posters in that thread to say that it shouldn't exist.

it's incredibly ironic that you're telling me to ignore the political section, when you've been told to ignore my posts and you can't even manage to do that.

No we're not discussing ideas, you're whining about problem that you, specifically, are a primary contributor to.

im not a primary contributor, im just one of the contributors in the political thread. you want to add to see how many posts I have compared to others?

are you threatened that Phil will make you do more work as a moderator? why are u so hostile towards me?

Hahaha' date=' I think it also leads to less activity around the forum as well, which I think he mentioned earlier.[/quote']

I definitely think this is part of it to an extent, though there's just been an overall decline in the number of users. For the most part, those of us that are regularly posting are the same 30-40 guys most of whom have 8+ years of posting history with each other. There are reputations and tensions that are just unfortunately long-standing and unavoidable because interaction is such that you can't really avoid other posters without making contributions in what few active threads there are at a time. I also think conversation tends to uptick when they're bad and not good. It's a lot easier to make conversation out of criticism than praise. It's been a while since we've really had "So and So is Playing Well" thread.

I didn't read it like that and you're still being really defensive about it.

It is 100% a good idea for Forum Staff to be active and creating content. Period.

I am being defensive because of who is saying it.

I am working on being more active because, you're right, I should be. But let's be clear, the heydays of being able to sit here and post all day are long gone, as they are for most of us. We've all re-prioritized and that's fine.

it's incredibly ironic that you're telling me to ignore the political section, when you've been told to ignore my posts and you can't even manage to do that.

I mean, you don't get to tell me anything.

You also don't get to ask a mod to ignore your posts and in the same breath complain that mods don't do enough.

I agree 100% with the bolded statements. I think it's pointless to have political and religious sections on a hockey-centric forum. I don't come here to read about, learn about, talk about politics or religion. The more I think about it, the more I wonder why they even exist. I suppose you can't have an OT section without someone's desire to talk politics, but it should never be the sole purpose to come here. You guys wanna debate politics? Get off the RANGERS HOCKEY FORUM.

Again, it's about degree and balance to me. If say 70% of the conversational content is hockey ? something we need everyone's help on ? then having whatever portion of the leftovers taken up by politics is a non-issue. In other words:

Hockey 70% (Rangers 50%)

Current Events 10%

Other sports 10%

Television 5%

Other 5%

Make sense?

Politics, to me, is disproportionately felt right now because we're lacking in hockey conversations. It's not actually driving anything. It's just the only section with life at the moment. That's on us as a forum/community.

I firmly believe that at least some of the hostility on here comes back to what Mike said. The Rangers suck.

The Rangers being shit is actually the perfect breeding ground for content. Everyone has ideas on how to fix what's broken. It's when a team is highly successful that things stagnate. So the fact they're shit means we should be swimming in threads.

I think a particular reason we're also seeing a decline in hockey conversation stems from the last big thread in this section about certain users feeling ostracized by the type of content being posted. Be it longer form threads/posts or posts that relied more heavily upon analytics-based arguments. There are some who are just flat-out disinterested by those posts and others whose posting style relied heavily upon that format. There was never really a solution applied but we've seen a certain number of posters on both sides disappear and I'd aruge there's a lot more homogeneity in the types of threads that pop up. Sure there's the occasional one to blow up but I think that also comes from a tendency for one poster to have a heavily differing opinion that gets hard-fought against. I know I've been a contributor in a few of those types of threads.

The Rangers being shit is actually the perfect breeding ground for content. Everyone has ideas on how to fix what's broken. It's when a team is highly successful that things stagnate. So the fact they're shit means we should be swimming in threads.

You're probably right, but I was talking about hostility more than activity.

That's also a non-issue — the whole "too much data" thing. This forum still largely has a bar-like approach to conversations. Yes, we get into the weeds on certain things when it's warranted, but the majority of our topics are debated using the eye test rather than more granular data.

That's also a non-issue — the whole "too much data" thing. This forum still largely has a bar-like approach to conversations. Yes, we get into the weeds on certain things when it's warranted, but the majority of our topics are debated using the eye test rather than more granular data.

Right. But that wasn't always the case. I think there was certainly a more uppity attitude that made some of those data-driven posts less palatable but they and those who posted them are largely gone.

Right. But that wasn't always the case. I think there was certainly a more uppity attitude that made some of those data-driven posts less palatable but they and those who posted them are largely gone.

I've also simply relaxed on how much of that I'm putting out in conversations. So, yeah, I'd go ahead and call that one solved.

That's also a non-issue ? the whole "too much data" thing. This forum still largely has a bar-like approach to conversations. Yes, we get into the weeds on certain things when it's warranted, but the majority of our topics are debated using the eye test rather than more granular data.
I respectfully disagree.

There are times I'll scan and not reply to something I normally would reply to because I don't have the time to do 20 mins of research for a 5 line post.

I respectfully disagree.

There are times I'll scan and not reply to something I normally would reply to because I don't have the time to do 20 mins of research for a 5 line post.

I've also simply relaxed on how much of that I'm putting out in conversations. So, yeah, I'd go ahead and call that one solved.

I think a particular reason we're also seeing a decline in hockey conversation stems from the last big thread in this section about certain users feeling ostracized by the type of content being posted. Be it longer form threads/posts or posts that relied more heavily upon analytics-based arguments. There are some who are just flat-out disinterested by those posts and others whose posting style relied heavily upon that format. There was never really a solution applied but we've seen a certain number of posters on both sides disappear and I'd aruge there's a lot more homogeneity in the types of threads that pop up. Sure there's the occasional one to blow up but I think that also comes from a tendency for one poster to have a heavily differing opinion that gets hard-fought against. I know I've been a contributor in a few of those types of threads.

There was a post a few years ago on this exact topic and a few members felt there was some sort of exclusivity in the more analytical posts. That thread left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I think the frustration comes from not establishing an obvious scapegoat on the Rangers for this season.

Also, removing the political threads will just have the backhanded comments come through in hockey threads. I had some awesome one liners that got deleted recently, too. :(

There was a post a few years ago on this exact topic and a few members felt there was some sort of exclusivity in the more analytical posts. That thread left a very sour taste in my mouth.

That's the one I referenced when I said "last big thread in this section." I just disagree that the problem was solved. It's not a problem because the posts that some disliked and those who posted some have since disappeared. That's not solving a problem that's just cutting out a part of the forum.