• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Glue Guy Jesper Fast Deserves Contract Extension

Phil

?He is everything you want a teammate to be, on and off the ice,? Mika Zibanejad, who joined forces in New York with his fellow Swede in 2016-17, told The Post. ?He does the little things shift-in and shift-out ? forechecks, is hard on the puck, blocks shots. He sacrifices every day.

?Off the ice, he is a friend to everyone. Maybe he is not rewarded with the offensive numbers, but everyone here knows how important he is to our team. You can?t ask for more.?

?He works hard and he keeps it simple,? Strome told The Post. ?He?s not flashy, but he has more subtle skills that make his teammates better. He hunts the puck in tough areas, he?ll battle every time, he holds onto the puck, he goes to the net.

?He?s absolutely not a sexy player ? and that?s nothing about his sexuality ? but his work ethic sets the standard for the team. If he speaks up, you pay attention to what he says. He?s the guy who sets the example. His impact is obvious to everyone in this room.?

The Kreider contract situation has received a fair amount of attention, but Fast is an impending free agent as well. This one is not complicated. Fast has far more value to the team wearing the Blueshirt than as a rental property who might bring back a second- or third-rounder in a deadline trade.

The Rangers need glue guys who play the game the correct way as they incorporate more and more youth into the lineup. Turning 28 next month, Fast has earned a multi-year extension off his current three-year deal worth an AAV of $1.85 million.

?I love New York, I love playing for the Rangers,? Fast said. ?There have been some ups and downs, but I?m proud to be here and proud to be a New York Ranger.

?If they want to talk to me, I?m happy to do that. I would love to stay here.?

https://nypost.com/2019/10/21/rangers-glue-guy-jesper-fast-deserves-contract-extension/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been a big fan of Fast though I question whether or not re-signing him would be a good move. He's very much worth his value at $1.85M but not really at $3M+ or so. Is he also someone you want to be carrying going into the expansion draft? I guess you can expose him again and just hope he doesn't get picked. It's unfortunate that he's soon to be 28 because I'd have had no issue with him on a Colton Sissons or Calle Jarnkrok type deal. I think he might be a bit too old for one of those deals now.

Yeah, he's a great utillity player, but on paper, locking down a 28-year-old isn't a great look. As long as the number is palatable, I'm probably game, though. Great off the ice, good on it, never complains, always works hard. He'd be a good pillar to keep through the rebuild IMO.

A must sign. And yes, I'm perfectly happy with a top six role for him. He's actually not a bad finisher, given the opportunity with the right linemates.

You shouldn't be, IMO. If Fast-types are in your top-six, you lack any discernible depth in today's NHL.

Yeah, he's a great utillity player, but on paper, locking down a 28-year-old isn't a great look. As long as the number is palatable, I'm probably game, though. Great off the ice, good on it, never complains, always works hard. He'd be a good pillar to keep through the rebuild IMO.

Agreed. As long as the $ and term is reasonable he's a very good piece to have. A very good bottom 6 guy who can play up the lineup in a pinch.

Every team needs guys like Fast. You get his heart and soul in every shift. He is a real teammate and established himself on this squad.

He wears the "A".

He won the teams players player award 4 times in a row.

They have to keep him, term maybe 3 or 4, cost, maybe 2 or 2.25 but no more.

Yes those players are out there and may cost less, however a bird in the hand......

With Pittsburgh

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

I think Fast - more than Hayes, Zucc, Nash - is the perfect candidate for a deadline trade and then re-sign as a FA.

Who knows what his motivations are, but I'd imagine the market for him is fairly limited, in terms of price, so there shouldn't be a huge bidding war.

I think this type of player is the issue for the Rangers. Jesper Fast is a good pro in my eyes. He's been a good player for the Rangers and has held up his end of the deal for what he was assigned to do here, in my opinion.

BUT

He is NOT a first line player in my eyes...NO WAY!

I think there are FAR better options, and certainly life after Jesper Fast.

You can argue chemistry, veteran bullshit and all that, but good Christ!!! ...can't we find a better player, or tougher player...or even a better bottom six player with more potential than Fast?? I hope so!!!

Look, the guy is a decent player, but how many Jesper Fast's are out there in the NHL, that you can pay far less??? I'm tired of resigning players like this guy, and watching them hog up space on the roster, while they could inhibit the growth of a bigger, younger, faster, tougher player that could very well be much better suited to play here, and help the team get to where it needs to go.

This team lacks toughness and offensive skill among other things, and Fast brings very little of that. I'll pass on re-signing this guy....Thanks for your service Jesper, and best of luck in bringing us back a good pick for next year!

Oh, and Larry Brooks can unzip my fly while he's busy blowing guys like this.

I don't really see what Fast not being a top-line player has to do with keeping him. He's a bottom-six player who happens to be playing up on a team that's lacking options. Unless he becomes a mainstay with Panarin and Zibanejad his price isn't going to skyrocket to levels other players who the Rangers have retained in the past. The issue is how close to the $3M range he's going to want given then trend in the league to pay those guys more. That part I agree with, but I don't think you let him go because he's not a first liner or preventing anyone from coming up. Based on just this season who's really waiting in the wings besides Kravtsov? Strome, Haley, McKegg are also all UFAs. There are spots to be had already.

Also if you're looking for skill or toughness pick one. There are few players in the league that bring both at this point.

I think Fast - more than Hayes, Zucc, Nash - is the perfect candidate for a deadline trade and then re-sign as a FA.

Who knows what his motivations are, but I'd imagine the market for him is fairly limited, in terms of price, so there shouldn't be a huge bidding war.

This practice rarely comes to fruition, though. Most players who are dealt take it personally and don't come back.

I don't really see what Fast not being a top-line player has to do with keeping him. He's a bottom-six player who happens to be playing up on a team that's lacking options. Unless he becomes a mainstay with Panarin and Zibanejad his price isn't going to skyrocket to levels other players who the Rangers have retained in the past. The issue is how close to the $3M range he's going to want given then trend in the league to pay those guys more. That part I agree with, but I don't think you let him go because he's not a first liner or preventing anyone from coming up. Based on just this season who's really waiting in the wings besides Kravtsov? Strome, Haley, McKegg are also all UFAs. There are spots to be had already.

Also if you're looking for skill or toughness pick one. There are few players in the league that bring both at this point.

Yeah I hear ya Drew, but we've had so many guys like this in the past that we've held on to for whatever reason. I think it's high time we move on from that mentality of the "people's choice" kinda player and get guys in here that are more impact players.

Whether it's toughness, skill...whatever. Fast is kind of the epitome of the type of player the Rangers need to let go of when their time is up here. He's nothing more than what he is now, and is only going to decline as age sets in in my opinion.

A must sign. And yes, I'm perfectly happy with a top six role for him. He's actually not a bad finisher, given the opportunity with the right linemates.

as someone who owns a Fast jersey, i don't agree with the top six aspect of this

can he fill in when needed? Yeah for sure. but I don't think he should consistently be in the top 6

very good 3rd liner/PKer. Great team guy, and a leader on the team. Has showed he can step up and make big plays in clutch moments.

I definitely keep him with a 2, maybe 3 year extension.