• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Glue Guy Jesper Fast Deserves Contract Extension

Phil

why is brooks worried about this? Jesper Fast is not the guy that's gonna be the reason we win the cup. You can always find these guys, i.e. B.Boyle as an example that are good room guys you can pick up later in their careers on 1 year deals.

Fast is harder to find a replacement for than Boyle, by a lot.

I agree that he's not necessarily the difference on a cup winner, but he's a much more unique player than a lot of the veteran bottom 6 plugs around the league.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fast is harder to find a replacement for than Boyle, by a lot.

I agree that he's not necessarily the difference on a cup winner, but he's a much more unique player than a lot of the veteran bottom 6 plugs around the league.

I dunno — those types often find themselves unlikely heroes every Spring.

Just a silly question here...Don't we need centers anyway...not wings?? Especially bottom 6 wings???

I'd sign freakin' Joe Thornton for god's sake...what's he, 40?? There's some experience and toughness and a true 4th line center. ;)

What's his cap hit? I bet it's not too much more than what Fast is gonna ask.

I dunno — those types often find themselves unlikely heroes every Spring.

Well yea - nobody would predict Dom Moore scoring the Game 7 winner against MTL.

But a guy like Fast gives you a better chance to do that, than, say Tyler Ennis, I would think. And if you add in the intangible part, it becomes a lot harder to find a 1-1 replacement.

Well yea - nobody would predict Dom Moore scoring the Game 7 winner against MTL.

But a guy like Fast gives you a better chance to do that, than, say Tyler Ennis, I would think. And if you add in the intangible part, it becomes a lot harder to find a 1-1 replacement.

Agreed. The more I think about it unless his ask is insane, I'm pretty sure this one's an easy call to just make in-season. Four years, $10 million. $2.5M AAV.

why is brooks worried about this? Jesper Fast is not the guy that's gonna be the reason we win the cup. You can always find these guys, i.e. B.Boyle as an example that are good room guys you can pick up later in their careers on 1 year deals.
Because a guy you bring in as a UFA as a one year deal hasn't earned the room. He isn't gonna cost alot.

To dumb it down a lot...It's not salary Tetris. You can't make the numbers coming down fit by blowing up what's at the bottom. Fast has earned the right to another deal and is an important part of teaching young guys how to play.

If it's a choice of him vs Kreider, it's not even close for me.

Because a guy you bring in as a UFA as a one year deal hasn't earned the room. He isn't gonna cost alot.

To dumb it down a lot...It's not salary Tetris. You can't make the numbers coming down fit by blowing up what's at the bottom. Fast has earned the right to another deal and is an important part of teaching young guys how to play.

If it's a choice of him vs Kreider, it's not even close for me.

Definitely Pete!! Fast certainly is no big Cap hit, and Kreider is just sucking around to be THAT guy that blows with us, and then when he gets to wherever he's going, turns into a the 40 goal potential scorer we thought we had.

There's no way to avoid it either. He's been somewhat of a disappointing player for us, considering what he's turned into, especially after a fairly promising start.

Agreed. The more I think about it unless his ask is insane, I'm pretty sure this one's an easy call to just make in-season. Four years, $10 million. $2.5M AAV.

Fine with that contract, in general, but I wouldn't move him before the deadline. You could get a first-round pick or, say, the Grabner return for him. Not sure I'm turning that down.

if you could get a first round pick for Fast, take it and run. i'd fire a GM who gives up 1st rounder for Fast

In a vacuum, I would agree with you, but I think (hope) people are starting to realize that a re-build is more than acquiring young, talented assets and high draft picks.

We need some continuity and we need some proven players.

In a vacuum, I would agree with you, but I think (hope) people are starting to realize that a re-build is more than acquiring young, talented assets and high draft picks.

We need some continuity and we need some proven players.

sure, but if u can get a first rounder for fast? fuck yeah, i'll take it and maybe re-sign him in the summer, if he's cheap enough

Ryan Hartman.

Andrew Shaw just went for a 2nd and 3rd. Marcus Johansen a 2nd and a 4th.

Hartman, yeah. But he's also got that "former first-round pick" thing going for him. But I suppose it's plausible.

I still say just keep him. Why risk showing him greener pastures when you can just make a good faith offer to keep him?

Hartman, yeah. But he's also got that "former first-round pick" thing going for him. But I suppose it's plausible.

I still say just keep him. Why risk showing him greener pastures when you can just make a good faith offer to keep him?

B/c it's the exact opposite of everything they've done over the last ~2.5 years. Their entire approach since the letter has been "acquiring assets" and, as far as I know, they're still in the rebuild. I've said that I hate the timing and overall messaging since pretty much day 1, because it makes expectations unclear, but imagine coming to the deadline and you trade Kreider but extend Fast? That's about as mixed of a message as you can have. Over the course of a year, they could go

Deadline - Trade Zucc, Hayes

Offseason - Acquire Trouba, Panarin

Season - Trade Namest, Send down Chytil/Krav

Deadline - Trade Kreider, Extend Fast (since they won't let him walk free)

That's wildly inconsistent messaging, without even adding in the lineup issues.