• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Glue Guy Jesper Fast Deserves Contract Extension

Phil

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Fast tests the waters, you think he gets more than 3 million? I don't even know if I would go that high with him. I get the whole "glue guy" thing, I really just don't see Fast as that though, but I'm not in the locker room, so I have no idea. I'm just not feeling keeping Fast if we can get something good for him at the deadline.

Kreider, I hope can boost his value before we ship his ass off....where you absolutely KNOW he's going to "regain his scoring touch". We're not winning with Kreider no matter what we do...keep him or trade him. But Fast doesn't tip the scales for me. I think it's much ado about very little.

He pretty much averages 30 points per 82 by my quick math.

I don't see why somebody wouldn't offer him that.

Why is it inconsistent? It's determining who you want here long-term. It says you didn't see the same value in Kreider, the same as you didn't in Hayes, but you do in Trouba, Panarin, and Fast. I'm OK with that.

From that perspective sure, and I can actually see the why in keeping Fast.

But you're sending very different messages about win now vs. rebuild. Fast, as a locker room guy is good to have, but I think that matters a lot more for guys who have been there than it does as a role model. There are lots of vets out there who can show youngersters the way. You keep Fast because you think he helps you win, the room is too new to keep him for continuity.

From that perspective sure, and I can actually see the why in keeping Fast.

But you're sending very different messages about win now vs. rebuild. Fast, as a locker room guy is good to have, but I think that matters a lot more for guys who have been there than it does as a role model. There are lots of vets out there who can show youngersters the way. You keep Fast because you think he helps you win, the room is too new to keep him for continuity.

Well, that's on the Rangers' marketing group to figure out. But that's easily-remedied by simply positioning it as "these are the players we've determined we want to see this thing through to the end." If you need to qualify it, you do so by thanking Kreider for everything he's done, and wishing him nothing but the best. The same as you did for Girardi.

;984398]I said to my mom yesterday that Zucc should have been a career Ranger; I stand by that statement. Idk what happens in the locker room, but that little dude was the last one off the ice after every game. He?s a ?glue guy? in that aspect.
Totally agree he's a glue guy.

Totally agree on not paying an 32 year old glue guy $5+ with term.

They shipped out alot of locker room stalwarts. They're gonna move Kreider.

That's why I think you've gotta keep Fast at the right price. It's not an automatic UFA + Older = Trade. Every case needs consideration.

I suppose that's a fair point. To use Future's line (I think it's him), this isn't EA...lol.

I don't disagree that Kreider should go.

I find the Fast situation weird:

- He's not going to fetch much in a TDL deal.

- He's not going to be the needle mover or tipping point for any team, including the NYR

- You don't let him walk for free

- You keep him?

I get it, but I'm still wrapping my head around it.

Hasn't he worn an A in the past, maybe even this season?

Well, that's on the Rangers' marketing group to figure out. But that's easily-remedied by simply positioning it as "these are the players we've determined we want to see this thing through to the end." If you need to qualify it, you do so by thanking Kreider for everything he's done, and wishing him nothing but the best. The same as you did for Girardi.

I don't care about the message to fans or Marketing lol, I'm talking about a player's perspective.

I think Buffalo is a really good example of that. They've cycled through buying and selling every year and part of the problem is that they've just "bought" the wrong pieces, but they've finally been consistent for an entire year.

I suppose that's a fair point. To use Future's line (I think it's him), this isn't EA...lol.

I don't disagree that Kreider should go.

I find the Fast situation weird:

- He's not going to fetch much in a TDL deal.

- He's not going to be the needle mover or tipping point for any team, including the NYR

- You don't let him walk for free

- You keep him?

I get it, but I'm still wrapping my head around it.

Hasn't he worn an A in the past, maybe even this season?

He has worn an A, yeah.

Fast is interesting to me. I don't know if I agree with him not being a needle mover or a TDL haul - guys like him tend to be overvalued, especially in years where you have young teams breaking into the playoff mix and you have the chance to add a guy who played in the finals and multiple CFs.

I'm not averse to giving him something like the Jarnkrok or Sissons deals. Give him a 500k bump, give him term, fine. He's earned it. He'll give you your third line production, keep kicking ass on the PK, set for life.

They can totally keep a 28-year old Fast at about 2.5 or so for 4 seasons when he’s extension eligible starting in January.

Any more than that is probably too much. But a bump up to 2.5 would be more than a 25% raise for him. I don’t think he sneezes at that. Seems like he likes NY, likes the organization and where they’re trying to go. Also, and this can’t be overstated, he knows, likes and accepts his role, he does it and never bitches or does anything but work his ass off. And he’s homegrown.

He’s a guy you keep. Even if you have to duke him a little extra.

His current deal is $5.5 over 3 years

He’s probably wanting 4 years or more. Even for a player like him, at 28 he’s got to be looking for a big of long-term stability

Would you go to 2.5 per over 4 seasons for him?

That’s actually not bad. He’s only 32 at end of deal. The 2.5 per range is a good number for a bottom-6, penalty killing type forward. Once it gets to 3 mil per, it’s probably overpayment for what he is.