• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Glue Guy Jesper Fast Deserves Contract Extension

Phil

B/c it's the exact opposite of everything they've done over the last ~2.5 years. Their entire approach since the letter has been "acquiring assets" and, as far as I know, they're still in the rebuild. I've said that I hate the timing and overall messaging since pretty much day 1, because it makes expectations unclear, but imagine coming to the deadline and you trade Kreider but extend Fast? That's about as mixed of a message as you can have. Over the course of a year, they could go

Deadline - Trade Zucc, Hayes

Offseason - Acquire Trouba, Panarin

Season - Trade Namest, Send down Chytil/Krav

Deadline - Trade Kreider, Extend Fast (since they won't let him walk free)

That's wildly inconsistent messaging, without even adding in the lineup issues.

Why? You'd be trading a guy who has value but never lived up to his potential (and will probably get paid too much for this team) While keeping a vet who's a leader in the locker room, reliable on the ice and won't break the bank. You have to have some of those guys on a young team.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you could get a first round pick for Fast, take it and run. i'd fire a GM who gives up 1st rounder for Fast

Not getting a first for Fast.

They didnt get a first for Zuccarello

If you can get anything for Fast, you take it.

The room shouldnt be an issue. They've bought out vets in leadership roles every season that would do more damage than an upcoming UFA depth player

Not getting a first for Fast.

They didnt get a first for Zuccarello

If you can get anything for Fast, you take it.

The room shouldnt be an issue. They've bought out vets in leadership roles every season that would do more damage than an upcoming UFA depth player

Not sure how true that is... They bought out underperforming vets who weren't worth their contract. They traded a guy like Callahan because he wanted too much money.

A fast once a reasonable amount, they should extend him. Just don't overpay him. You can't go with a team full of rookies and no veteran leadership.

Not sure how true that is... They bought out underperforming vets who weren't worth their contract. They traded a guy like Callahan because he wanted too much money.

A fast once a reasonable amount, they should extend him. Just don't overpay him. You can't go with a team full of rookies and no veteran leadership.

not sure how Fast is a leader. he seems like a quiet type. maybe a leader by way of hard work? but we have plenty of veteran leadership

I was shocked with the current contract. Dont see that happening again. Plus, we know he'll be hurt half of the season.

Of course... because that benefits Brooks how?

wait, you don't have to answer that. I'm not at all interested in going down this path.

He's been the players player how many times?

4? I don't buy player's player crap. Jed ortmeyer and Colton orr won the award. usually a hard-working scrub wins

u think ortmeyer or Colton orr were glue guys?
I don't think Orr was ever Players Player and Ortmeyer career needed due to clots.

Neither have anything to do with Fast status in the room. You don't buy into that, but the players clearly do.

I don't think Orr was ever Players Player and Ortmeyer career needed due to clots.

Neither have anything to do with Fast status in the room. You don't buy into that, but the players clearly do.

orr was, so was strudwick and blair betts.

I don't think players buy into it either. if they did, the scrubs above would not be chosen. I don't think they care about this award, frankly.

I really don't understand why we'd lock up a guy like Jesper Fast for 4 years.

2 year deals please.

(I didn't read the article about his presence in the locker room or how much of a leader he is or anything)

I meant 4 yrs or under is ideal. but no more. 2 years would be perfect

orr was, so was strudwick and blair betts.

I don't think players buy into it either. if they did, the scrubs above would not be chosen. I don't think they care about this award, frankly.

Alright. That's completely without basis and totally subjective thought. But, alright.

Alright. That's completely without basis and totally subjective thought. But, alright.

my basis are the scrubs that were chosen. if players were serious about this, Colton Orr would not have been chosen. He was chosen because he stood up for his teammates. would you pay $4M for 4 years for him for that?

my basis are the scrubs that were chosen. if players were serious about this, Colton Orr would not have been chosen. He was chosen because he stood up for his teammates. would you pay $4M for 4 years for him for that?

I didn't say that we should pay Fast $4 million. $3.5 practically doubles his hit now...I'd do 3x$3...around that.

I didn't say that we should pay Fast $4 million. $3.5 practically doubles his hit now...I'd do 3x$3...around that.

If Fast tests the waters, you think he gets more than 3 million? I don't even know if I would go that high with him. I get the whole "glue guy" thing, I really just don't see Fast as that though, but I'm not in the locker room, so I have no idea. I'm just not feeling keeping Fast if we can get something good for him at the deadline.

Kreider, I hope can boost his value before we ship his ass off....where you absolutely KNOW he's going to "regain his scoring touch". We're not winning with Kreider no matter what we do...keep him or trade him. But Fast doesn't tip the scales for me. I think it's much ado about very little.