• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Too Early to Start the 'Fire Quinn' Thread?

Art20c

Lines combination is very questionable as well as his choice of players from the camp. For more than a year cannot teach how to play team defense. Guys running around like headless chickens. Kakko looks lost. Game with Washington with 2 min to go and empty net he plays his arguably the most talented player panarin on blue line alongside trouba. How the hell was he supposed to score from there? Previous game with devs in similar situation he has smith in ice. Cause he?s prolific scorer? Nobody on the team progresses. And so on and so forth. Is it too early to get rid of him?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta give him some time, for better or worse. At minimum it will be this season, but the reality is that it'll will be at least until US Thanksgiving next year.

He didn't handcuff the team with all the dumb contracts, and make no mistake, all the past sins are still haunting the team, that mismanagement has caused a complete gutting of the meager depth we had and the Trouba contract was just a swap. Now we have a legitimate minute eating D man, and no Centreman to replace Hayes.

Staal is an anchor

Skjei is an anchor

Hank is an anchor

Smith is an anchor

Still paying Girardi, Shattenkirk, Beleskey. It all adds up to Michael Haley, Greg Mckegg and Brendan Smith as essentially half your bottom six.

We're not a patient group in the Big Apple. The pain suffered leading up to the 'rebuild letter' contributes to the length of time everyone is feeling that this turn-around is taking. Still, we need to allow time for this rebuild to happen IMO. A couple of wins got us excited (falsely) and the recent losses has us setting up the hanging platform (premature) instead of saddling up for a decently long ride ahead.

Here is what I'm looking for this season:

1. Entertainment - Do we make plays that give me hope?

2. More wins than losses - Sample size is too small right now, let's talk again at Christmas.

3. Progress? - Grey area to define and this is where we'll all debate on BSBH before and after every game. What's the paradigm we can agree on?

4. Young guys growing into roles - Jury out and rightly should be as it's too early for a verdict.

5. Effective Defense - Yup, that.

Gotta give him some time, for better or worse. At minimum it will be this season, but the reality is that it'll will be at least until US Thanksgiving next year.

He didn't handcuff the team with all the dumb contracts, and make no mistake, all the past sins are still haunting the team, that mismanagement has caused a complete gutting of the meager depth we had and the Trouba contract was just a swap. Now we have a legitimate minute eating D man, and no Centreman to replace Hayes.

Staal is an anchor

Skjei is an anchor

Hank is an anchor

Smith is an anchor

Still paying Girardi, Shattenkirk, Beleskey. It all adds up to Michael Haley, Greg Mckegg and Brendan Smith as essentially half your bottom six.

This is a huge problem, and this exact scenario is why I wanted him on a 2 year bridge deal last summer. He's as average and inconsistent of a defenseman as he was when he signed the deal. He's a good skater and the Rangers banked on him improving the other aspects of his game. Here we are, still waiting for that progress to take place while we have to hope he isn't another anchor contract for the next 5 years. The lack of progress he has made is exacerbated by the fact he is still probably our best LHD.

If I was Gorton, I'd be doing about anything I can to land a solid LHD for Kreider. It could be a 2nd pairing guy, just anyone more dependable defensively to stick with Trouba. See if Skjei can progress without the pressure of essentially needing to be the #1 LHD, because that's not what he is. Try to move on from Skjei if he doesn't progress this year.

Little early for any of this

Besides, they’re not going anywhere in terms of being a contender this season as is.

We all should accept the reality that this is another season of growing despite the additions they’ve made. The likelihood of them making the playoffs is small. Deep playoff run even smaller.

And we’re still less than 10% through the season

I see that majority consensus here is to wait and see. Points you guys made are strong and valid. But what bothers me is the fact that we are burning one out of three years contract of num. 2 prospect in the world, where his salary cap hit is slightly above 900k. Also, I believe it’s a last year of Georgiev’s contract.

I was looking at recent trade/buyout casualties’ stats and its interesting how they all, obviously so far, are playing better, than in New York.

Shattenkirk 4g 1a

Pionk 2g 4a

Namestnikov 2g 2a- all points since his trade to Ottawa

Isn't that the reason to be concerned that Quinn wasn’t able to find right use and playing partners for them? Which in turn definitely had contributed to their departure from the team.

Too early to pull the trigger but not impressed even a little with how he manages the games/lines etc. Not sure I've seen improvement anywhere since he arrived. I'm pretty confident he'll get a free pass well into next season if not through the end of it. He certainly doesn't inspire any confidence in my opinion of him. Oh well.

Quinn is a Gorton / Sather guy, he is not, however, a JD guy so I think his leash may just be a little shorter than some of you guys are saying. Like you guys, I too have never been impressed with the product he puts on the ice. The team is still constantly pinned in the d zone, they score a goal and give it back almost immediately on many occasions, always have a poor power play, poor defensive execution and terrible break out schemes. And what is with our #2 overall pick? Have they even coached him up at all? I know it is early and they will need time to gel as they have played like 3 games in 4 weeks it seems, but they have practiced an awful lot, but it does not look like it LOL.

Honestly, if coach Q was still out there I would have made the change already, but now, who out there is better at this point?

Bro we're a week into the season...

I see that majority consensus here is to wait and see. Points you guys made are strong and valid. But what bothers me is the fact that we are burning one out of three years contract of num. 2 prospect in the world, where his salary cap hit is slightly above 900k. Also, I believe it?s a last year of Georgiev?s contract.

I was looking at recent trade/buyout casualties? stats and its interesting how they all, obviously so far, are playing better, than in New York.

Shattenkirk 4g 1a

Pionk 2g 4a

Isn't that the reason to be concerned that Quinn wasn?t able to find right use and playing partners for them? Which in turn definitely had contributed to their departure from the team.

I see that majority consensus here is to wait and see. Points you guys made are strong and valid. But what bothers me is the fact that we are burning one out of three years contract of num. 2 prospect in the world, where his salary cap hit is slightly above 900k. Also, I believe it’s a last year of Georgiev’s contract.

I was looking at recent trade/buyout casualties’ stats and its interesting how they all, obviously so far, are playing better, than in New York.

Shattenkirk 4g 1a

Pionk 2g 4a

Isn't that the reason to be concerned that Quinn wasn’t able to find right use and playing partners for them? Which in turn definitely had contributed to their departure from the team.

Why'd you leave out Zuccarello, Hayes, and Vesey? :p

Because it doesn’t fit the narrative

All I’m trying to say here that this approach has been tried before. Oilers few years back. Hired young coach with minimal nhl experience, what was his name, Eikins? That team back then was loaded with super high picks, didn’t work out well for them. Why we are to assume that similar thing will work out here? Can anybody tell with straight face what Quinn has accomplished here, anything positive? Did our defense become better, did our pp become better, did anything become better?