• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Too Early to Start the 'Fire Quinn' Thread?

Art20c

Very worrying are 2 things;

1. how were Chytil and Kravstov not ready to go? What went on from the end of the season through training camps? Did anyone tell them what was expected? Were their workouts monitored?Were they given very specific programs and goals? I understand they did not do what was expected in camp, but how did a whole summer go by and looks like nobody sat them down and gave them any guidance.

Further with so much dead weight up front, they couldn't do any worse. Get'em up. If Haley won't kick the piss out of Hall the other night, he should be released.

2. This team is awful around their own net. Nobody is physical, and that is really more about effort and focus than talent. You don't have to be a great skater or a great passer to simply take a body in front of your own net and move him. Even when you get to talent, so far, the whole defense has barely any idea what to do with the puck. How many goals against have been right after a weak shitty outlet pass or blindly swatting the puck out with no idea where it's going.

I know some defend Staal to the death. His contract is awful and so far so is he. He's neither physical nor does he do much offensively, his one goal notwithstanding. Bring up Lindgren and let him make some mistakes and have Staal sit in the press box. He could not be worse.

And having said all that, waaaaayyyyy to early.

• Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very worrying are 2 things;

1. how were Chytil and Kravstov not ready to go? What went on from the end of the season through training camps? Did anyone tell them what was expected? Were their workouts monitored?Were they given very specific programs and goals? I understand they did not do what was expected in camp, but how did a whole summer go by and looks like nobody sat them down and gave them any guidance.

Further with so much dead weight up front, they couldn't do any worse. Get'em up. If Haley won't kick the piss out of Hall the other night, he should be released.

2. This team is awful around their own net. Nobody is physical, and that is really more about effort and focus than talent. You don't have to be a great skater or a great passer to simply take a body in front of your own net and move him. Even when you get to talent, so far, the whole defense has barely any idea what to do with the puck. How many goals against have been right after a weak shitty outlet pass or blindly swatting the puck out with no idea where it's going.

I know some defend Staal to the death. His contract is awful and so far so is he. He's neither physical nor does he do much offensively, his one goal notwithstanding. Bring up Lindgren and let him make some mistakes and have Staal sit in the press box. He could not be worse.

And having said all that, waaaaayyyyy to early.

Players like Haley don't fight players like Hall.

Also, think there's a misconception around what it means to be physical in your crease. It's not 1994 where you can just cross check the shit out of people.

Also, Staal has been awful. It's a shame he always has to be paired with the most inept defensive players on the team.

Also, think there's a misconception around what it means to be physical in your crease. It's not 1994 where you can just cross check the shit out of people.

Also, Staal has been awful. It's a shame he always has to be paired with the most inept defensive players on the team.

I understand it's not 1994. But that doesn't mean you cannot be physical around the net. There's lots of teams and Ds that do it. watch the Bruins and especially Chara every night , even if being 6'6" is a huge advantage. Again, comes down to focus and commitment. Get the sense forwards playing NYR look forward to an easy night of nonmolestation.

After the major is not called(completely disgraceful and inexplicable), I really don't give a flying f___ about "unwritten rules", there's no point of having a goon (which is all Haley is) on your roster other than he makes Taylor Hall take a punch or 2 to the face.

Right now, today,are there ANY "EPT" defensemen on this roster? May be they aren't s bad as their worst night, but collectively it's been a complete disaster.

I understand it's not 1994. But that doesn't mean you cannot be physical around the net. There's lots of teams and Ds that do it. watch the Bruins and especially Chara every night , even if being 6'6" is a huge advantage. Again, comes down to focus and commitment. Get the sense forwards playing NYR look forward to an easy night of nonmolestation.

After the major is not called(completely disgraceful and inexplicable), I really don't give a flying f___ about "unwritten rules", there's no point of having a goon (which is all Haley is) on your roster other than he makes Taylor Hall take a punch or 2 to the face.

Right now, today,are there ANY "EPT" defensemen on this roster? May be they aren't s bad as their worst night, but collectively it's been a complete disaster.

Chara is a relic at this point.

There's no way in the world Haley is going to fight Hall. The most you can hope for is a big hit on him, but Haley's not going to catch Hall.

When nothing happend to Hall after his hit the other day, it makes no sense to have a guy like Haley in the lineup.

Lemiuex and DeAngelo can fight if anyone has to, and get players like Haley out of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you fire Quinn, you send the message this organization cannot stick to a plan. This team is not winning a Cup this season, but you could set the future back like Edmonton has done forever by constantly changing things. Not saying stability is the greatest of qualities, but it does have value. May come a time moving on to someone else makes sense, but I don't think that makes much sense right now.

Also, they identified very early last offseason that Quinn was the guy they wanted. So much so they doubled back to him after he turned them down at first. If not Quinn, who? Trotz, Laviollette and Quenneville are all employed. So if not Quinn, who? Real easy to say "Fire him". Who then would be next? And don't give us this 1994 Messier nostalgia nonsense.

If you fire Quinn, you send the message this organization cannot stick to a plan. This team is not winning a Cup this season, but you could set the future back like Edmonton has done forever by constantly changing things. Not saying stability is the greatest of qualities, but it does have value. May come a time moving on to someone else makes sense, but I don't think that makes much sense right now.

Also, they identified very early last offseason that Quinn was the guy they wanted. So much so they doubled back to him after he turned them down at first. If not Quinn, who? Trotz, Laviollette and Quenneville are all employed. So if not Quinn, who? Real easy to say "Fire him". Who then would be next? And don't give us this 1994 Messier nostalgia nonsense.

This. Bang-on, this. Quinn's here to hammer these kids into professionals, and hopefully, grow with them so he's ready to handle the transition from lottery team to perennial contender. We're sticking to this plan, and at times, like in the third period today, you can see why.

Someone who can teach defensive structure. Im not seeing any kind of structure, especially in the defensive zone.

With the talent on the back - Fox/Trouba/ADA especially - your defensive scheme is "Russian Five" style.

Don't need to defend if your opponent doesn't have the puck.

obviously its way too early to talk firing of any kind, but i dont see how Ruff keeps a job. Defensively they look lost. My biggest problem though with Quinn is two fold. One isn't his fault. One is. The one that isn't his fault is that to me there isn't really any actual leader on the club. I know Mika is coming into his own but he strikes me as more by what he does on the ice and quiet elsewhere. I feel like there needs to be a stronger voice but who knows what none of us know behind the scenes.

The part that i find partly his fault is the effort across 60 minutes and how they almost look unprepared most games early on as if they were blindsided by a team they didnt expect on the other side.

Lindy Ruff has nothing to do with the defense. The D is coached by Greg Brown, implementing whatever Quinn wants.

The Ruff thing just won't go away.

Because he was hired originally to aid in the defense according to plenty of articles out there. If they transitioned today much less nhl experienced Brown, then I’m sure Ruff still has input on the defense,especially since some players are here from when Ruff had a bigger say. This is why I’m surprised he’s still there.

Lindy Ruff has nothing to do with the defense. The D is coached by Greg Brown, implementing whatever Quinn wants.

The Ruff thing just won't go away.

Vigneault brought in Ruff, 57, to man the Rangers' defense and penalty killing units and is reaping benefits. New York is third in the league on the PK at 84.1 percent.

https://buffalonews.com/2017/12/31/ruff-has-been-a-solid-addition-to-rangers-staff/

Ruff will again handle the defense

https://theathletic.com/436602/2018/07/18/rangers-notebook-why-lindy-ruffs-return-makes-sense/

Deal not yet done, but Rangers will hire Lindy Ruff as assistant coach (in charge of defense, plus) to replace Jeff Beukeboom.

• Like 1

Yes, I remember his original intention here, but that's shifted to Brown according to Carpinello some time ago.

Not that it really matters with the roster the way it is.

Quinn was a NHL assistant...AHL HC..

I'd just be careful about what NCAA guy I chose. BU wasn't good because of Quinn, they were good because there's 50 teams and five of them get all the recruits. BU is one of those schools.

That's not a criticism of him, or an indictment of his ability here, it's just the way it is.