• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Too Early to Start the 'Fire Quinn' Thread?

Art20c

Too early for "Fire Quinn" thread. Maybe not too early for a "Does David Quinn Gel With Young European Players" Thread. For those of us who have been around for a while, Colin Campbell's issues on this hastened the end of the contender period in the 90s.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not even sure you can mention young European players. Zib has been fine under Quinn. It's more accurate to just say young players in general because very few thus far have thrived regardless of what part of this blue marble they are from.

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-rangers-struggling-during-four-game-losing-streak/c-310314048

Some Quinn quotes on the losing streak.

According to @vzmercogliano

DQ said this about Sunday's roller coaster game: "We should embrace what happened the last 25 min, but we can?t run away & hide from what happened in the first 35. It?s a balancing act of staring the whole game in the face & understanding why we were in the situation we were in."

Probably too early for it, but if they fired him tomorrow I wouldn't be upset. I just don't think he's cut out for the job.
I'm ambivalent on DQ. Why wont he try to separate AP and MZ? Why is Lias buried on the 4th? Why Haley?

With so many different kids able to be versatile, why is he so afraid to experiment with what he has?

I thought McKegg was signed to bring some veteran experience to Hartford, Haley was to force Lemieux to ink his contract.

We have so many issues with the team right now its perplexing. We have the ability to be dominant, look at game 2 and period 3 vs Van.

But why does the team lack so much confidence or direction? Is it on DQ?

We have to give him some time to sort out his team. He was brought in to work with the Kids.....why are some of the possible future elite kids in Hartford while we play McKegg or Haley. So Hartford becomes a number 1 team and these kids get experience, yet we struggle to not change the channel on our TV.

Is it DQ? I'm not so sure, but he definitely isn't helping the situation right now and should not be afraid to experiment with the lines.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

I'm ambivalent on DQ. Why wont he try to separate AP and MZ? Why is Lias buried on the 4th? Why Haley?

With so many different kids able to be versatile, why is he so afraid to experiment with what he has?

I thought McKegg was signed to bring some veteran experience to Hartford, Haley was to force Lemieux to ink his contract.

We have so many issues with the team right now its perplexing. We have the ability to be dominant, look at game 2 and period 3 vs Van.

But why does the team lack so much confidence or direction? Is it on DQ?

We have to give him some time to sort out his team. He was brought in to work with the Kids.....why are some of the possible future elite kids in Hartford while we play McKegg or Haley. So Hartford becomes a number 1 team and these kids get experience, yet we struggle to not change the channel on our TV.

Is it DQ? I'm not so sure, but he definitely isn't helping the situation right now and should not be afraid to experiment with the lines.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

its like i said in the other thread. he's leaning on the vets because he thinks that gives him the best shot to win games. it's the diff between being an HC and a Fan. I'm fine with the kids coming up, playing sig minutes and going through growing pains. he is not.

to give him some credit hes forgot more hockey than i know and i'm not in practice but it just seems like to many of these guys coach with a skirt on.

Tinfoil hat me believes that the goal is to lose early, so that when the kids are getting better ice time, they get to play in a 'no-pressure' situation and hopefully they help the team rally to get closer to a playoff spot, and maybe having confidence and a full summer to be ready for 20-21

Quinn didnt want to lose last season. No chance he's suddenly on-board with it now.

Quinn is really starting to make me sick. I'm wondering if he's an ego maniac who thinks his own system and culture takes precedence over most effectively utilizing the talent this team has - and there's plenty of it - with whatever system and culture fits.

The latest finnish Kakko article is a red flag. This is not some immature rookie as far as I can tell - he's an up and coming world class talent who's being coached by a college level amateur.

How Panarin and Zibanejad weren't split up from the very beginning...and still not?!? even as just about every single other combination has been messed around with?!? makes absolutely no f'n sense - especially when you have the opportunity to facilitate the development of a talent like kakko by putting him alongside one of those two.

Im starting that thread if I see Smith in the top 9, Andersson on the 4th line and Chytil in the A 1 more week.

I hate to be that guy, but this is getting ridiculous. Kakko being benched in the 3rd while Kreider gets 1st line minutes after playing dog shit the entire season? How is that gonna teach a young guy to play better? Lias is working hard and has been playing decent in the little time he?s got - he is still on the 4th line (played 5 minutes 5v5 tonight), while Howden is still fumbling around on the 2nd/3rd line. Where?s the justice here? And what is he trying to teach these young guys when he bench them and let Kreider and Howden fuck around doing tonight the entire night?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

its like i said in the other thread. he's leaning on the vets because he thinks that gives him the best shot to win games. it's the diff between being an HC and a Fan. I'm fine with the kids coming up, playing sig minutes and going through growing pains. he is not.

to give him some credit hes forgot more hockey than i know and i'm not in practice but it just seems like to many of these guys coach with a skirt on.

The kids being on this team are going to make the team that much better. Maybe there is some younger players he's protecting from all the losing because he doesn't think it will make them better.

My issue with Quinn isn't results and on-ice product. I expected the Rangers to be bad again - better than last year, but still bad - and I expected the type of run they're currently on.

The issue for me is that I'm really starting to doubt if he's the guy to move this young, talented group forward. A couple of things comes to mind:

- I simply disagree with how he runs the ship, his line and roster decisions and his in-game management. It's just an opinion of course, and I don't profess to know more about hockey than he does, but I find myself shaking my head a lot more than I agree with what he's doing.

- His accountability schtick was refreshing when he came on board, but it seems pretty obvious to me that its application varies according to the name on the back of the shirt.

- He's a young coach, but in many ways I find his view of the game to be a bit old fashioned. North/south, no fancy shit, get in guys faces, big plugs on the 4th line, "tough guys", what appears to be a total disregard of analytics.

- Coming in, one of the big selling points was his ability to develop young players. I'm not really seeing that as of yet. I don't think any of the young players have taken significant steps under his tutelage; obviously with the caveat that it's only been a year and change.

In short, I just don't believe in what he's doing. Maybe it's harsh, and maybe it's a total knee jerk. Maybe a lot of it is based on organizational decisions and not the coach. Maybe he has a grand plan that I'm not seeing. I really liked him in the early going, but tbh I'm really struggling to get behind what's going on.

I have a some issues with Quinn.

-If we are supposed to be in a rebuild and developing the kids, then win or loose give the kids minutes and let them play.

-Chytil has 8 points in 6 games in Hartford, If you believe he is your future, bring him up and let him get 2nd line center minutes.

-The argument for sending Kratsov down was to give him more minutes, but he is not even playing on a top 6 line in Hartford, not surrounded by talent and not getting minutes so what was the point? I suspect he will go back to the KHL at this point and I don't blame him.

-Kakko gets no look on the top line despite how he clicked there in preseason.

-Staal on the top d-pairing, are you kidding me?

-Line shuffling, the rate at which Quinn shuffles lines, I don't think they will ever be able to build chemistry. Last night I saw a ton of off the mark passes, is that a product of players not used to their line mates? maybe.

-There does not appear to be any defensive system. We have some talent on D, we should not be as bad as we are

-He can't seem to be able to get them to play a 60 minute game

I started out really liking his approach with the players, but lately I dislike his handling of the team, I just don't get it. I am not on the fire him bandwagon yet, but I think its time that Gorton and or JD sit him down and say "Listen, you are supposed to be developing these kids, we dont have an expectation you make the playoffs this year, we want to see the kids play and improve"

I think JD has more influence into why players get sent down than Quinn, actually.

My big complaint about Quinn so far is how disorganized the team looks without the puck.

As far as Kravtsov in the A... Well there's a reason Chytil is a top liner and Krav isn't. I'll never understand or agree with fans thinking ice time is distributed by talent and not hard work.