• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#4) Rangers @ New Jersey Devils // The Kakko v. Hughes Chronicles

Drew a Penalty

Who was the Player of the Game?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the Player of the Game?

• Tony DeAngelo
    • Ryan Strome
    • Jesper Fast
    • Pavel Buchnevich
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Hughes had some good moments but was obviously crazy nervous in the 1st.

Kakko looks like an NHL player right now but there were two criticisms of him before draft that I think are pretty fair after watching him.

A) He's not an elite skater

B) He's not an elite shooter

He's kind of struggling to get his shot off and he's not pulling away from people.

He needs to work on his shot and become more of a Jagr type of player, use his body as a shield

He’s a dangler not a sniper. His skating is awful but that’s something that can be worked on.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Awful is too harsh. His skating is average. Agree that he needs to improve it a bit though. I think he can still get to the right spots when he gets adjusted to the speed of the NHL game.

When is Kreider due back to play a game for us?? Just wondering!

You know....I really feel bad for my boy Kakko, who has to play with a dud, and a dead skunk.

Glad to see Kreider really wants to break the Free Agent bank with a career year this season. He's really off to a great start...

• Like 1

sure wish we had a presence in front of blackwood. could kreider be any more invisible?

It looks like the PP is asking him specifically to not be in front of the net, but next to it as a passer.

Which is a comically terrible application of his skillset, but I'm not sure that's an indictment of Kreider.

Although Hughes had an assist, he looked out of place while Kakko looked much more like a regular. Time will tell how this battle turns out but right now Kakko looks better

I actually thought the opposite, but i didn?t watch 2nd period. Hughes was active and carrying the puck, obviously all the room on the PP helped. In the 1st and 3rd i only remember Kappo touching the puck once.

Either way, both these players have been a major disappointment. We may need to rethink the Matthews/Kaine comparison

I actually thought the opposite, but i didn’t watch 2nd period. Hughes was active and carrying the puck, obviously all the room on the PP helped. In the 1st and 3rd i only remember Kappo touching the puck once.

Either way, both these players have been a major disappointment. We may need to rethink the Matthews/Kaine comparison

I don't think we should ever expect Kakko to be a puck carrier like Hughes. He's a guy who is going to be most effective when he has linemates who can do the heavy lifting in the NZ so that he can get in on the forecheck and possess along the boards or around the net, where his size and strength works for him.

These two have always been overstated, I think. This comes back to the 2020 draft convo a while ago - where would these guys go? They could both fall out of the top 3, based on what the 2020 guys are doing right now.

I hope Quinn gives Buch his earned opportunity to play with Fast and Strome. I really believe that game would have been much better if Kakko was on the 1st line and PP1. I am concerned if Kakko can physically handle the minutes though.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Buch handled the puck like a grenade the whole game, consistently making terrible decisions with the puck or losing it off his stick way too easily. His passes were frequently off the mark leading to turnovers. The last 2 games were polar opposite from the first 2 games, where I thought he held his own as a support player on that line.

I actually thought the opposite, but i didn’t watch 2nd period. Hughes was active and carrying the puck, obviously all the room on the PP helped. In the 1st and 3rd i only remember Kappo touching the puck once.

That's really my beef with all the hype.

Every year there's one or multiple "Generational" talents. Growing in to the league is totally fine as a 18 yo, obviously, but Matthews and McDavid were PPG gamebreakers from day one. None of these more recent picks are even close to that, light years away, actually.

That's really my beef with all the hype.

Every year there's one or multiple "Generational" talents. Growing in to the league is totally fine as a 18 yo, obviously, but Matthews and McDavid were PPG gamebreakers from day one. None of these more recent picks are even close to that, light years away, actually.

Matthews and Eichel

I see that Mcdavid is at a different tier

Gretzky->Lemieux->Lindros->Crosby->McDavid

These are the players that are decade players.

POTG poll has been added to the thread.

I didn't think anyone played particularly well last night.

I went with "OTHER"....I think Kakko showed some good moves last night and improves every time I see him with the puck...even drew a penalty.