• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Quinn Needs to Get a Clue on Andersson

skjeitheday

I really like this coach but he has screwed up a lot on Andersson. Initially upon his arrival here I thought Lias was over confident and needed some improvement on his skating. However, since the pre-season he has easily been one of the top 5 forwards on this team. His defensive play has been elite most of the time. Yet, Quinn keeps putting him with poor offensive linemates. I am a solid fan of Howden long term. He's a playoff type of guy that you need. However, Lias has outplayed him badly. Quinn continues to not reward Lias yet seems to reward other players who continue not to earn his praise. At this point, Gorton needs to step in. Quinn has shown more faith in Smith which is completely absurd. This is a rebuild. Not a comedy show. I'm sure the Rangers would love to build Smith up in order to dump him. However, you don't continually screw over the 7th pick in the draft who is 5 times better this year than last because you want to get rid of a mistake. Unless you know nothing about hockey it's easy to see that Andersson is a much better player than 4 or 5 players getting more ice time than he is on a nightly basis.

I agree 100%.

I have no idea what to say other than Howden is always going to get first crack at opportunities like this, Andersson just has to bide his time and continue in a positive direction until Howden inevitably fails at the role.

Its a difference in style. Quinn is "GO GO GO". Get the puck and GO. Fast hockey. The Euros don't play that way. They get the puck and try to make the right play, whether its a pass, skate, etc.

We evaluate the game we see. Quinn is seeing guys like Lias continuing to NOT do what he continually pounds into their head. On top of that, Quinn loves to make important decisions based on small plays in practice. So, Chytil is slow with the puck, or Lias , etc. Its a huge difference in style that the kids are trying to adjust to

Howden's best offense is always him fumbling the puck, so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

Couldn’t agree more.

I have no idea what he’s doing with Andersson.

I’m trying to hang onto “it’s still early”, so hopefully this isn’t a thing going forward. Small sample size, but what he’s shown merits a top 9 role and his development would in all likelihood be better served with more ice time alongside better players.

Not a huge fan of Howden as 2c, but whatever. Sink or swim.

Quinn talked up Chytil early on about how he's stronger, has "swagger" and he sees him playing at 2C. Chytil is a bust at camp and Andersson has done everything asked of him. He's been noticable on almost all his shifts and should have earned a look at the 2C. The only thing that may be holding him back is his faceoffs and that should work itself out if he actually got more playing time. Whoever helped Andersson with his skating did an outstanding job. In comparison to last year, he added 50 hp. While I like Howden and his 200 ft game, Andersson just looks better. And I agree he's looked worthy of a top five foward moniker. I also think Kakko and Buch should swap because I believe Kakko would have finished plays that Buch has not been able to.

It was an issue last season, as well.

Your rebuild looks a hell of a lot different if you remove multiple 1st round draft picks from this future roster.

Chytil was sat 4th or 5th game.last season? I'd bet Kakko doesn't go much longer.

Andersson has been really good in the 8 minutes he's getting at ES.

The only justification I can see is that they want to see some sustained success (i.e. more than 3 games) to get his confidence up before expending that role. There's alot more expectation and pressure on the 2nd line, not to mention better competition. Success in 8 mins against other team's 4th line doesn't necessarily mean success in an expanded role.

That said, don't see what Howden's done to earn more ice other than his motor. But someone has to play 2C.

Frankly, I don't see how Kakko fits with any of Strome, Howden, Lias or Kreider....

He doesn’t and will eventually be with zib on that first line instead of buch, who I know hasn’t been terrible but is clearly not as skilled as his two line mates. It’s only a matter of experience at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Agreed. Kakko will be the 1st line winger soon enough and the rest will shake out from there. It's clear as day that Buch is the least skilled player on that line and powerplay. He handles the puck like a grenade at times.

But like I said. No rush. It's only been 3 games. I imagine they want to break Kakko in slowly and put as little pressure on him as possible.

Andersson has been really good in the 8 minutes he's getting at ES.

The only justification I can see is that they want to see some sustained success (i.e. more than 3 games) to get his confidence up before expending that role. There's alot more expectation and pressure on the 2nd line, not to mention better competition. Success in 8 mins against other team's 4th line doesn't necessarily mean success in an expanded role.

That said, don't see what Howden's done to earn more ice other than his motor. But someone has to play 2C.

Frankly, I don't see how Kakko fits with any of Strome, Howden, Lias or Kreider....

Very good points. Kakko needs the puck on his stick. Lias looks to have improved his corner work and seems very aggressive there. If he can come away with the puck reliably, he can feed Kakko down low.

Agreed. Kakko will be the 1st line winger soon enough and the rest will shake out from there. It's clear as day that Buch is the least skilled player on that line and powerplay. He handles the puck like a grenade at times.

But like I said. No rush. It's only been 3 games. I imagine they want to break Kakko in slowly and put as little pressure on him as possible.

Well...least skilled with Zib and Panarin but certainly Buch has some pretty exciting skills. I think he's deferring too much to his linemates and needs to find a balance there but I don't think he's moving the puck too quickly yet.

Well...least skilled with Zib and Panarin but certainly Buch has some pretty exciting skills. I think he's deferring too much to his linemates and needs to find a balance there but I don't think he's moving the puck too quickly yet.

I agree. He has the ability to play up there, just will take time to figure himself out playing with those two.

That?s what I meant.. he?s a skill guy but I think ultimately and best case scenario he?s a good 2nd liner. Kakko might not be a super star ala ovechkin/Crosby but he will be a first line player.. just have to be patient

I agree. He has the ability to play up there, just will take time to figure himself out playing with those two.

That’s what I meant.. he’s a skill guy but I think ultimately and best case scenario he’s a good 2nd liner. Kakko might not be a super star ala ovechkin/Crosby but he will be a first line player.. just have to be patient

You have to spread the offense around, though. Even in a year or 2, Buch / Chytil / Krav?