• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Jacob Trouba Dilemma the Rangers Must Solve

Slobberknocker

like phil said above, im not comparing him to leetch, just looking to pair him with a stay at home guy.

gotta be honest here, i'm surprised that some dont think he's a true number one. why the hell would the rangers sign him for 8mln per if they don't think he is?

kids a stud from the point on the PP from what i've seen so far. doesn't miss the net.

Not to belabor this point even more but after tonight, the greater majority of the NHL will have played 7 or more games already while we've only played 3. It's hard to fault Quinn for pairing decisions on such a small sample size of games.

No it really isn’t.

Not assigning your best defender to play against the oppositions top line is strange regardless of the schedule.

You can call him whatever you want - good job ignoring the second half of the post - but he's not good enough to be given the Leetch/Beuk treatment when he's the second-best offensive RHD on the team, long-term. It's stupid to try to find a D partner who compliments his offensive game before doing that for Fox, b/c you'd be diminishing the value of both.

The second half of the post doesn't matter if it hinges on the first half which is incorrect.

He wasn't comparing their talent levels, just their roles. In that, it's perfectly fine to consider him an "offensive mobile defenseman." The term is pretty nebulous, to be honest. It should have a wide range.

The second half of the post doesn't matter if it hinges on the first half which is incorrect.

He wasn't comparing their talent levels, just their roles. In that, it's perfectly fine to consider him an "offensive mobile defenseman." The term is pretty nebulous, to be honest. It should have a wide range.

I know. Trouba isn't good enough offensively to be in the Leetch role, because that would go to Fox. If Fox didn't exist, the conversation is probably different. Leetch was in that role because he was the Rangers' best offensive defenseman. Trouba isn't that - or won't be long term - so it's not really a parallel.

And, to be clear, I also don't think Trouba is good enough to be in that role. He's good enough to be on a good top pair with another good player. He's not good enough offensively to be partnered with a purely defensive player and to expext that they, together, can play 26:00/night successfully. Instead, Trouba and another balanced partner should get the tough deployments, and then Fox and Hajek/Lindgren/whoever are Leetch/Beuk and get the favorable matchups.

No it really isn’t.

Not assigning your best defender to play against the oppositions top line is strange regardless of the schedule.

I think it is very possible right now that Quinn thinks Staal is the team's best defender.

Not best defenseman overall, but best matchup defender. Trouba has been getting worked in his own zone. His numbers mirror Pionk's last year.

No it really isn’t.

Not really sure what Brooks or you are talking about. I watched most of the Jets game and it seemed like Trouba/Skjei were out there against Scheiffle's line. Didn't see any of the Ottawa game but do they really have a top line that requires us to start matching D against them? The 3rd game I get...but can't he have a game to see what some other D bring to the table? Brooks has articles to write and based on three games its pretty hard I'd imagine. But the fan overreacting on really one game seems a bit much to me.

Not really sure what Brooks or you are talking about. I watched most of the Jets game and it seemed like Trouba/Skjei were out there against Scheiffle's line. Didn't see any of the Ottawa game but do they really have a top line that requires us to start matching D against them? The 3rd game I get...but can't he have a game to see what some other D bring to the table? Brooks has articles to write and based on three games its pretty hard I'd imagine. But the fan overreacting on really one game seems a bit much to me.

Nobody’s over reacting.

We’re discussing the merits of a specific tactical decision, namely choosing to not assign the best defender on the team against the best player in the world.

Which I agree is a peculiar decision. We’re hardly calling for the guys head here.

What worries me is that we're paying top dollar to someone who, via this thread, we're saying is not a top offensive nor defensive defenseman.
Good God. Give Trouba (and everybody else) the chance to get into some kind of rhythm of the season. We're all just indulging our own anxieties until they play a few games in a row.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Good God. Give Trouba (and everybody else) the chance to get into some kind of rhythm of the season. We're all just indulging our own anxieties until they play a few games in a row.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If you're waiting for him to all of a sudden get better than he is, it's probably not going to happen. That comment is based on what he has been his entire career.

If you're waiting for him to all of a sudden get better than he is, it's probably not going to happen. That comment is based on what he has been his entire career.

I dont understand. He?s been really good and talked about alot his entire career. The NHL had him as #15 in their top 20 rankings before this season and he?s been solid the first few games.

We dont need him to all of a sudden get better. He just need to find his game and rythm and he?ll be a top 15-20 D in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If anyone is expecting him to be Erik Karlsson because he signed an $8.5 m contract, that's not going to happen either. His entire career? At 25, he is just entering his prime. If, a year ago, we had frozen Zib into "what he has been his entire career" we would have sold him seriously short. Trouba played pretty well tonight. 5th game coming up. I'm interested in what it looks like at 10-12.

Maybe because the only frame of reference was stacked Winnipeg teams... Where elite forward and Byufgilen shielded him...

I dont understand. He?s been really good and talked about alot his entire career. The NHL had him as #15 in their top 20 rankings before this season and he?s been solid the first few games.

We dont need him to all of a sudden get better. He just need to find his game and rythm and he?ll be a top 15-20 D in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk