• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Targeting Winnipeg in a Trade?

nyckrash

They have like $5M+ in available cap right now. If the Rangers simply took back something to offset somewhat, you could effectively just move him to give them a warm body. Letestu. Bourque. Something in that realm.

I feel like they would try to trade us Perrault for Smith which leaves us in the same cap situation unless they retained salary....or maybe Staal? Might be slightly more interest based on pedigree.

Some GM in the league will take advantage of them right now. I wish Wheeler was available and we had some D to give up for him. The way he played against the Rangers was impressive.

Literally the only thing we can do with them is offer them Smith and say you can have him for nothing hoping a 1m retention in salary makes them bite.

- NYCKrash....LGR!!

I feel like they would try to trade us Perrault for Smith which leaves us in the same cap situation unless they retained salary....or maybe Staal? Might be slightly more interest based on pedigree.

Perrault is interesting, though I think we'd have to sweeten the pot (and I doubt whether or not they'd have any interest in Smith at all).

Perrault would get a good get because he's an upgrade to Strome/Namest while filling the same role. The problem would be that he has a higher cap hit and isn't a UFA, so he's a lot more difficult to trade.

Perreault feels like a slightly more talented version of Strome to me. He's clearly not a 2C either, so why would he be the guy they want?

To trade at the deadline too, I mean. He's not a long-term guy but would help you get more of a return for a guy like Smith, potentially.

To trade at the deadline too, I mean. He's not a long-term guy but would help you get more of a return for a guy like Smith, potentially.

Oh, I see. Move Smith for Perreault, then move Perreault for futures — two birds, one stone. Not bad. But can't you just do that with Strome right now?

Oh, I see. Move Smith for Perreault, then move Perreault for futures — two birds, one stone. Not bad. But can't you just do that with Strome right now?

Yes. AND do it with Perrault. I initially had two thoughts going on at the same time.

If you flip Smith for Perrault, and trade Strome, you have a slightly better lineup, plus whatever return Strome gets now. At the deadline, you flip Perreault also. It's basically just adding another - as much as I hate this term lol - asset, while offloading Smith.

I don't understand any of this.

1) They don't have cap space, their cap space is just being held for Byfuglien.

2) If that guy doesn't return to hockey, why the fuck would they want Smith? They could use the space on 50 different candidates. Brendan Smith would not be one of those candidates.