• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Vladislav Namestnikov to Ottawa for Nick Ebert, 2021 4th

Phil

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange. They didn’t give him any chance to find chemistry with this group

Guess they bringing up Kravtsov or Chytil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Namestnikov was a mismatch in style. He was a great possession guy, poise with the puck. Not the greatest but solid offensive skills. But he likes to glide around, looking for people. Quinn preaches go go go, play fast. It didn’t line up for him.

Rangers with ~4.3M in cap space. Figure ~3.3-3.4M with Chytil or Kravtsov up. I find it hard to believe they are just going to leave that space there. Something else in the works? LHD? Given how Quinn shuffled all of that around, you know he's not happy with the current state of the left side defense.

"You moved too soon". -- Julius

The market must have been absolute shit for this guy over the last year. I think he's definitely worth more than that, but I guess they just wanted out of that contract. I would have liked to see if he could be inserted into a top line when Buch or another player underperform. Just too boost his value or to actually get some output from him.

I liked that guys energy when he played in your face aggressive hockey, but that wasn't often enough. I always thought the Rangers should have gotten much much more for McD. Now with this move.... Yeah. Oh fuck yeah.

I guess this opens up a spot for either a skilled winger for the bench, or a vet Dman..

Atleast they have cap room now.

"You moved too soon". -- Julius

The market must have been absolute shit for this guy over the last year. I think he's definitely worth more than that, but I guess they just wanted out of that contract. I would have liked to see if he could be inserted into a top line when Buch or another player underperform. Just too boost his value or to actually get some output from him.

I liked that guys energy when he played in your face aggressive hockey, but that wasn't often enough. I always thought the Rangers should have gotten much much more for McD. Now with this move.... Yeah. Oh fuck yeah.

I guess this opens up a spot for either a skilled winger for the bench, or a vet Dman..

Atleast they have cap room now.

Was still a decent return for McDonagh. They got Howden, Hajek, Lundkvist in the draft with that 1st pick, and Henriksson with the 2nd round pick. Add in the 4th round pick here from Ottawa, which should be like having a late 3rd from a contender. What else would you have wanted? Yes, I realize they lost JT Miller in that deal too, but who knows how that breaks up the trade valuewise.

Was still a decent return for McDonagh. They got Howden, Hajek, Lundkvist in the draft with that 1st pick, and Henriksson with the 2nd round pick. Add in the 4th round pick here from Ottawa, which should be like having a late 3rd from a contender. What else would you have wanted? Yes, I realize they lost JT Miller in that deal too, but who knows how that breaks up the trade valuewise.

I'd have liked to see what young roster player Toronto would have offered... I'd rather have Nylander, or Marner or Kapanan..

I'm fine with this, right or wrong Quinn so no use for him and the last thing he was going to do was play the guy at the top of the lineup. He did nothing to justify it IMO. Interested to see what if any is the next move as a result of this one.

Its a straight salary dump. I don’t like the return, but it’s not a hugely important deal to begin with and the return isn’t all that far from “fair value.”

I like Namestnikov and I think he’s actually a better player than his market value says he is. I think his versatility in playing both C and W as well as his ability to move up and down the lineup and the fact that he’s much improved defensively can really help a team in the middle 6. There’s enough offensive ability to where he’s not totally out of place in a top 6 in spots, and can play PP. And he’s developed more edge and energy while becoming a better defender and penalty killer.

He’s not great at any one thing. But he’s above average at quite a number.

But his market value at the deadline was probably a 3rd round pick, so maybe a 4th in 2021 plus another RH depth player on D is close to that in value.

Ebert though has been in KHL and SHL last 2 seasons. As much as they’ve scouted over there of late, perhaps they saw something they liked.

Obviously this would have helped more in the summer, but they do need some cap space to have at least done wiggle room.

This is a pretty “meh” deal.

I don't think this is for anything other than cap space. They've been looking to trade him for almost 2 years. Now they can shuffle players around all season without any issues. It needed to happen. Can't have 2 guys making a combined 8 million on the 4th line.

Hopefully this is a lesson in "sometimes it's okay to let a player leave for 'nothing.'"