• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Vladislav Namestnikov to Ottawa for Nick Ebert, 2021 4th

Phil

You guys are spending too much time reading between the lines on this one. It's a salary dump for a player with almost no positive trade value. They've been trying to move him basically since they signed him and no one wanted to bite despite the Rangers' ask not being exhorbitant. I was told, for example, that Colorado showed some interest but simply never felt compelled to make a trade. That should tell you all you need to know about the player and his actual market value relative to his play.

He's an average middle-to-bottom-six hockey player who is paid probably twice what he ought to be. Rangers freed up a F spot (where they currently have two extras sitting), opened up a little cap room, and got a little someting (the fourth-rounder) for a player who was bascially going to run out the clock otherwise.

This actually works out in Vlad's favor, too. He was demoted to the Rangers' fourth line. In Ottawa, he'll play in all situations and will probably boost his UFA value in a way he wasn't likely to the longer he stayed in New York.

• Like 3

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are spending too much time reading between the lines on this one. It's a salary dump for a player with almost no positive trade value. They've been trying to move him basically since they signed him and no one wanted to bite despite the Rangers' ask not being exhorbitant. I was told, for example, that Colorado showed some interest but simply never felt compelled to make a trade. That should tell you all you need to know about the player and his actual market value relative to his play.

He's an average middle-to-bottom-six hockey player who is paid probably twice what he ought to be. Rangers freed up a F spot (where they currently have two extras sitting), opened up a little cap room, and got a little someting (the fourth-rounder) for a player who was bascially going to run out the clock otherwise.

This actually works out in Vlad's favor, too. He was demoted to the Rangers' fourth line. In Ottawa, he'll play in all situations and will probably boost his UFA value in a way he wasn't likely to the longer he stayed in New York.

Exactly.

Namestnikov was a mismatch in style. He was a great possession guy, poise with the puck. Not the greatest but solid offensive skills. But he likes to glide around, looking for people. Quinn preaches go go go, play fast. It didn?t line up for him.

This

He couldn't finish last season but I would have liked to seen him slotted a little higher maybe even with a Kakko,could have possibly upped his value.What was to lose?

Names was not a great player, and not a good fit. They got a draft pick which is solid and freed up cap space which is fantastic. Names brought nothing to the lineup and was not on the PP or PK. Ebert is also a talented player with upside. He's not a typical 25 year old because he's been in Europe having success for the past few years, not just kicking around the AHL. That said I still doubt he plays for us in the NHL barring injuries. Maybe he has success in the AHL and we turn him into another pick or something though.

Gotta be Kravtsov, right?

I highly doubt it.

They decided he wasn't ready and sent him down. Since then he's played poorly in his first game for the Pack and was a scratch for the second.

Surely they have a longer perspective on the decisions they make than that.

I don't mind the trade at all. Cap dump, a pick and an asset for a player with no future here. Next.

I just want to see the corresponding move, I don't see dressing Smith and Mckegg as a better option than Namestnikov.

It only makes sense if they have something cooking, it's an expiring contract so the salary isn't really important, unless they're adding a body.

I don't think this is for anything other than cap space. They've been looking to trade him for almost 2 years. Now they can shuffle players around all season without any issues. It needed to happen. Can't have 2 guys making a combined 8 million on the 4th line.

Hopefully this is a lesson in "sometimes it's okay to let a player leave for 'nothing.'"

He's an average middle-to-bottom-six hockey player who is paid probably twice what he ought to be. Rangers freed up a F spot (where they currently have two extras sitting), opened up a little cap room, and got a little someting (the fourth-rounder) for a player who was basically going to run out the clock otherwise.

They need a center and he's in the minors. He'll come up when he's ready.

I read in Newsday that the Rangers retained like $750K of his salary. I dont mind this move, he was a bust here anyway and at least they were able to move him for something.

I'm going with the above...the guy had little use here and now in a better place for both himself and the Rangers, in my opinion.

I just want to see the corresponding move, I don't see dressing Smith and Mckegg as a better option than Namestnikov.

It only makes sense if they have something cooking, it's an expiring contract so the salary isn't really important, unless they're adding a body.

The corresponding move is to get McKegg into the lineup and to keep Lemieux on the third line. That's it. There's no grand conspiracy here.

Great. Sign Brian Boyle now. 4th line center done. Trade piece come feb.

This could be for signing Boyle. JG is big on character guys.

Everyone can take their Boyle 22 jerseys out from the closet and remove those Dan Boyle woes.

I never understood why we signed Namestnikov to that deal, but whatever. IDK who the fuck Nick Ebert is though. lol

I just don't get why make that trade now and not...in July.

Waiting would make sense if this was a contender who had an injury or something, but Ottawa is none of that. I find it hard to believe this deal - or something similar - wasn't available months ago. Did they really hold out to get a 4th instead of a 5th, or to retain $750k instead of $1m?

You dont make moves just to make moves in the NHL. They dont need a cap dump, either.

There's more to this situation.

OK, so we're worse than we were 24 hours ago.

I mean, I guess? Smith is in the lineup because he's on the PK. Once Lindgren becomes a guy, he'll probably firmly supplant him in that role plus. But I'd argue substituting McKegg for a fourth-line version of Namestnikov is a wash if there ever was one. If they're actually poorer for this, it's by pennies, not pounds.

You dont make moves just to make moves in the NHL. They dont need a cap dump, either.

There's more to this situation.

Sure, eventually. Cap space accrues over time, so they bought themselves room now and at the deadline by doing this early.

We're dressing a D man as a forward, dress it up any way you want, but now we have Smith/Lias/Mckegg.

Would hate to be Lias right now.

It's not ideal, I agree, but it's clearly a work in progress. I seriously doubt this is the lineup Gorton envisioned.