• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

On Pure Talent, are the Rangers a Playoff Team?

LeetchFan

No, they probably aren’t.

The first line is excellent, and the best 1st line they’ve had in god knows how long.

But the way the bottom 6 is set up they’re practically icing two 4th lines and the D is highly suspect. If you want a knee jerk based on 2 games the lack of a 2c is really hurting that second line.

You need one or both of Krav/Chytil to sort themselves out and come up to play a Svechnikov type role on the 3rd line. You need some of the D to step up and you need someone to own the 2c role.

It’s been really fun so far though.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

love the start but need to pump the brakes here. this remains a build, for maybe 2-3 more years. centers developing and defense on the way.

It's hard not to be somewhat excited, Slobby...but I hear ya man! ;)

That tic tac toe play on Saturday night made me drop my drink!!! Georgie looked really good too!! There's a ton of room for improvement, but they are showing progress. They did a lot more good things in the game against Ottawa. They closed gaps a bit more and their support on the puck, and breakouts were much better....not tremendous, but better.

That Power play is absolutely lethal with Panarin though, and with Truoba having that offensive player mentality on the PP??? Wow! That guy can fuckin' hammer it from the point!!

It's all about patience from here though Slobby, you're right. This season is going to have it's ups and downs, so I'm ready....excited about watching these guys grow, but I know there's going to be some valleys between the peaks! :rofl:

Top 6 in the conference, no. But the rabble that sneak into the 7 and 8 spot, that could happen. There are some bad teams at the low end of the conference. You don't have to be great, just better than the dregs around you.

Agreed. They're a seriously flawed team, but one great scoring line, a good PP, and good goaltending can get you ~95 points to sneak in. Plus, this team should get better as the year goes on, with all the young players. If you can steal points in the first 15-20 games and get some improvement from Hajek/Fox, it's not impossible.

Agreed. They're a seriously flawed team, but one great scoring line, a good PP, and good goaltending can get you ~95 points to sneak in. Plus, this team should get better as the year goes on, with all the young players. If you can steal points in the first 15-20 games and get some improvement from Hajek/Fox, it's not impossible.

You could be right, but I get the opposite feeling on this team. That they’re the type of talented, but young and flawed team that comes out of the gate piping hot but then cools down and falls off as the rigours of an NHL season start taking its toll.

Could go either way I suppose.

You could be right, but I get the opposite feeling on this team. That they’re the type of talented, but young and flawed team that comes out of the gate piping hot but then cools down and falls off as the rigours of an NHL season start taking its toll.

Could go either way I suppose.

Possible - but lines 2-4 can't score any less than they are right now lol. There's not much falling off to do, though I agree with your point.

But, say you start 14-6-0 (28 points). You can go 28-24-10 (66) the rest of the way and hit 94 points being a sub .500 team for 3/4 of the season. 94 certainly doesn't mean you're in, but it gets you to a point where you're in the conversation, even if your play has dropped significantly from the good start. Especially in a conference where there are ~10 teams who all have significant flaws too.

They're exactly like Renney teams. One line, couple of D who can move the puck, the rest are JAGs.

Maybe when Kravtsov and Chytil get here, we can talk. But right now...They're no way a playoff team.

Pretty much this.

Panarin - sure, Zib on his way to hopefully his 2nd productive season. Blah - Kreider, Buch, Strome. Kakko still a rookie. Bottom 6 is pedestrian and composed of nonthreatening role players.

Yes. With a caveat. Goaltending. If the tandem plays above the depth of the F/D then yes. The biggest problem is what they do once the playoffs start. Do they do with whoever had the better year, or who deserves it more if his name isn’t the king?

It would be a travesty if this team squeaks in as the 8 seed just to get knocked out. I'd rather they not make it and be eligible for the lottery again. Just one more solid draft class is all I want. Then we can start turning it up.

Honestly, I just want Rangers playoff hockey back, once you?re in, there?s always a chance. Wont be mad if they dont make it, but it would be fun if they did.

Just making the playoff and playing some playoff games is also big for this young team.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It would be a travesty if this team squeaks in as the 8 seed just to get knocked out. I'd rather they not make it and be eligible for the lottery again. Just one more solid draft class is all I want. Then we can start turning it up.

I'll take some playoff hockey and experience for the youngins rather than a miniscule chance to move up to top 3 or a remote chance to win #1.

I bet you said the same thing last season and look what happen.

Look what happened in St. Louis.

And the Rangers had a better percent chance at winning the cup than the #2 overall pick. Not sure I'd test those chances again.

To each his own, I just don't see this team being able to pull that off. Yet. I've said it before, I want to enjoy watching them, unlike last year. I hope the team plays very competitively this season but ultimately loses a bunch of 1 goal games and ends up towards the bottom of the conference. I personally think there is more long term value in a higher draft spot, especially in this draft, than 4-5 playoff games. Let them start making their playoff runs next year.

Did you read my previous post? What's luck have to do with finishing towards the bottom of the conference and securing your own top 10ish pick? That is what I am hoping for. Hitting in the lottery is just another added bonus.

I did. Except you didn't highlight the scenario of being happy with a top 10 pick. You highlighted the scenario of being eligible for the lottery again, which is a top 3 pick. I'd rather make the playoffs and pick 16th-18th than pick 10th.

They'll still be looking at a #16ish pick if they make the playoffs. Probably 8-12 if they don't.

I'll take the playoffs. If they're in the playoffs, it's likely a lot of things went right, and vice versa.

Yup. It would mean a lot more than just Zibanejad and Panarin having good seasons. It would likely mean we either got significant contributions from guys like Kakko, Chytil/Kravtsov, Howden, Andersson, etc, along with improvement defensively. That means a lot more to me than 8-10 draft spots.